Jump to content

bmags

Admin
  • Content count

    45,571
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    48

bmags last won the day on April 2

bmags had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

3,112 Hall of Famer

1 Follower

About bmags

  • Rank
    PC Bro
  • Birthday 07/26/1986

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Chicago, IL

Previous Fields

  • Favorite Sox Minor League Affiliate
    Birmingham Barons (AA)
  • Soxtalk Awards
    2006: Most Musical Post of the Year

Recent Profile Visitors

3,758 profile views
  1. bmags

    COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

    And obviously, those were Illinois numbers not Chicago
  2. bmags

    COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

    woof
  3. bmags

    COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

    Right, but I can't totally discount it being poor US health outcomes. I'd guess 80% likelihood - undercounting. 20%...obesity, diabetes, etc.
  4. bmags

    COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

    wow that is way lower than I would have expected.
  5. bmags

    COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

    Chicago started releasing hospitalization numbers: 3,680 people have been hospitalized with COVID-19, with 12,262 reported cases, that's a 30% hospitalization rate. I think that illustrates we are probably still undercounting by quite a bit. I thought hospitalization was anticipated around 10-12%. Only 4k tests today, I'm not sure we'll hit 10k/day by eow, though I expect a jump tomorrow. edit: it looks like 30% really is common at this point. Either, again, reflection of undercounting or reflection of poor US health. But yeah, 30% getting hospitalized is a LOT.
  6. bmags

    COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

    I think even when it became clear that many "mild" classification cases still had people in delirious fever for 2-3 weeks and feel like their drowning that scared me. I read a piece on the first NJ coronavirus case this weekend. 32 years old, new daughter, was a doctor and knew how bad it was when his oxygen levels got so low. Avoided being intubated but thought he was a goner, and had written a letter to his daughter in case of death. Just terrifying. The whole severity by how bad your dose is is still very confusing. But it makes the risk of our health professionals, and support staff, so amazing, terrifying, and infuriating at their lack of protection.
  7. bmags

    COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

    It was obvious at the time, but it sure makes the whole "I alone can fix it" mantra from his convention speech so hilarious.
  8. And, among other things, that stadium is available.
  9. bmags

    COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

    I just think FDA after the AIDS crisis should have created an epidemic response that does better at planning supply and fast tracking tests and medication. Because when you are dealing with patients on verge of respiratory failure, saying "well we don't know what the side effects may be" become less important (or in the case of AIDS, they were already facing certain death).
  10. bmags

    COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

    I didn’t say it was wide spread. The difference is access, doctors can’t easily access remdesivir, i can’t imagine the supply is even particularly large. They can try hydrochloraquine now relatively easily. That’s why it would be immensely helpful if government made a guaranteed large purchase of all current retrovirals, remdesivir and hydrochloraquine so they can ramp up in case they find the timing/patient profile it works for right away.
  11. bmags

    COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

    https://www.propublica.org/article/what-we-know-and-dont-know-about-possible-coronavirus-treatments-promoted-by-trump This is a good summary.
  12. bmags

    COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

    Oh they are definitely doing something shady. But chloroquine and others were used in China too, so I don’t think it should be discounted. mainly I don’t think people should back into thinking the FDA will handle this well, they’ve been a disaster.
  13. bmags

    COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

    While I think what the president is saying about chloroquine and remsidivir(?) very irresponsible... I can’t take the side of “he should just wait for the FDA” after this debacle. At the very least, the gov should ensure mass production of those drugs with the assumption they work, so if they do they can be administered at scale. It is good that there are no roadblocks for doctors to prescribe either of these hydrochloroquine as long as their is availability, but if a new drug shows promise, the fda is going to put it on like a 2 year schedule.
  14. I don’t know guys. These feel like pretty surmountable obstacles. For instance, there is an AZL, and a professional baseball team in Phoenix.
×