All-star gamethread: American League vs. National League

brian310

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 08:46 PM)
Look at his stats.

Sanchez has great stuff and has been a key cog in Toronto's starting rotation. It's also his first extended run as a starter after being converted from the bullpen.

I mean...Johnny Cueto's on track to win the NL Cy Young and he got absolutely lit up....just like he did last year pitching in the AL, and specifically the AL Central. Same thing happened with Samardzija. Transport them to SF and magically they're playing on another World Series team if the Nationals/Cubs don't make it. Even numbered year, etc.

QUINTANA in...no disrespect from Ned Yost card to play here.

I think Sanchez was added before Q which makes absolutely no sense.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 06:35 PM)
How the heck is Aaron Sanchez a f***ing all star.

Dunno, dude. Maybe it has something to do with Sanchez having a better ERA, ERA+ more quality starts and high quality starts, more IP/GS, and a lower homerun rate than Quintana. But hey, he did as poorly in the pointless AS game (we won't be in the World Series, so this game is effectively pointless for us) as "the best lefty in the game not named Clayton Kershaw". So f*** him.

I honestly think Yost was doing to the "typical" manager's thing of honoring or recognizing players from the best teams at that time...like Kluber and Sanchez.

Not to mention Salazar wasn't going to perform. So he had to choose between Carlos Carrasco (perhaps more deserving than Kluber, but without a Cy Young on his resume), Tomlin and Bauer.

If I were Yost, it would have been Carrasco instead of Kluber, but it's kind of meh/whatever decision that could go any direction. Tomlin has clearly overachieved and certainly deserves the recognition, but only Indians' fans want to see him pitch, just like only Reds' fans cared about Adam Duvall in the home run battle last night.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 08:08 PM)
Dunno, dude. Maybe it has something to do with Sanchez having a better ERA, ERA+ more quality starts and high quality starts, more IP/GS, and a lower homerun rate than Quintana. But hey, he did as poorly in the pointless AS game (we won't be in the World Series, so this game is effectively pointless for us) as "the best lefty in the game not named Clayton Kershaw". So f*** him.

Yeah, he definitely has one of the Top 10 arms among starters in the AL. No doubt at all.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 09:08 PM)

Yawn. Look at the run support he gets. It's amazing.

You're a Q hater, I get it but your baseball knowledge is pretty shoddy, dude.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
Yawn. Look at the run support he gets. It's amazing.

You're a Q hater, I get it but your baseball knowledge is pretty shoddy, dude.

Did I say anything about his record compared to Quintana's? Since I didn't, I'm not sure why you're bringing run support. Pretty irrelevant.

I don't hate Q. I just think the fact that he's underrated around the league on the whole is more than compensated for by the amount of nut-hugging he receives on this board.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 09:08 PM)

The flavor of the day is "salty".

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 09:18 PM)
Did I say anything about his record compared to Quintana's? Since I didn't, I'm not sure why you're bringing run support. Pretty irrelevant.

I don't hate Q. I just think the fact that he's underrated around the league on the whole is more than compensated for by the amount of nut-hugging he receives on this board.

Ok man we'll just agree to disagree.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 07:20 PM)
most definitely

dude doesn't even know how many people would kill to have a pitcher like Q on their staff.

Didn't dispute that. He's coveted for sure (which would be nice to take advantage of). Just wish people didn't act like he was the end-all, be-all of underrated pitchers because his fWAR is second in the AL (to Kluber, I believe, which is itself befuddling).

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
Didn't dispute that. He's coveted for sure (which would be nice to take advantage of). Just wish people didn't act like he was the end-all, be-all of underrated pitchers because his fWAR is second in the AL (to Kluber, I believe, which is itself befuddling).

Ok I don't know who the hell you've been talking to but end-all, be-all?

People just say he's underappreciated, unlucky, and a good pitcher.

Did Q boink your gf or something?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 12, 2016 -> 09:30 PM)
Chances of scoring multiple runs against this line-up of relievers is slim and none...

Started out as a pretty entertaining game but now has reached the Bataan Death March of Dominating Relievers shutting down offense.

Yeah the AL has some serious shut down relievers. Is it Miller then Chapman?