Yasiel Puig Trade Rumors

GGajewski18

I forgot who mentioned it on twitter, but a major writer said that the Dodgers are interested in trading for Puig since Ethier is on his way back.

Not a LH bat, but I think he still can make an impact defensively and in the lineup.

Only question now is, are you interested in him, and what would you give up to acquire him?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
I forgot who mentioned it on twitter, but a major writer said that the Dodgers are interested in trading for Puig since Ethier is on his way back.

Not a LH bat, but I think he still can make an impact defensively and in the lineup.

Only question now is, are you interested in him, and what would you give up to acquire him?

He's been hitting better since coming off the dl. Idk what I would give up though. I'd rather give up less and take on Ethier.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)

Really next to nothing. He isn't good.

I'm not a Puig fan. Too much head case potential. But it is a business so you need to do your due diligence and consider. Due to Puig's affordable team control--(7-8M/per through 2018??), I'm not sure we have what it takes to get a deal done--unless they are looking to unload him like SD did with Shields. You think about it--our MLB-ready guys (Sanchez, Avi) aren't desirable enough, we have our few 'untouchable' prospects and I'm not sure Hahn would part with Fulmer, Burdi, Collins and certainly not Anderson to acquire a potential head case who hasn't done anything productive outside of a Physical Therapy facility in 2 years. I suppose if you could get him for May? Hawkins? Adams? Problem is, if our top prospects aren't a part of the deal, it would pretty much wipe out our 2nd tier group and possibly our 3rd! I'd much rather take on more of his salary than trade anyone in our system with any kind of value for him--but at that price, $ relief isn't the point of trading him for LA--a large haul of prospects is. I'd say pass unless the discount is HUGE.

If the Dodgers don't want too much for him (Hawkins? Adams?), and I don't think they can ask for too much, given his reputation and numbers the last two years, he's a guy I'd take a chance on for sure. He's cooled off a bit lately, but over the last month he's hitting .317/.417/.467/.883. If you assume he'll bounce back even to last year's numbers (OPS+ 110), he's still miles better than Avi or one of our many 4th outfielders.

I think Bruce and Cargo are pipe dreams at this point, so the Sox are in the position where they need to look at moves like this. No one's going to just give us currently productive players for nothing, we don't have much trade ammo left at all , and there isn't much on the free agent market next year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
Puig is the best centerfielder that plays right field since Clemente

"Traditionally, centre field is not a premium offensive position," Hahn said. "You put a premium offensive player (Avisail Garcia) at a premium defensive position, it puts you in a pretty good spot for a club going forward.

"We are not married to the idea of him playing centre. We wanted to take a look at it, get to know the kid a little bit better. He's extremely athletic, he has a world of tools and we want to give him the opportunity to play it out again at the premium position, even if he ultimately does wind up at a corner here in Chicago."

http://m.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article/55983572/

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (almagest @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
If the Dodgers don't want too much for him (Hawkins? Adams?), and I don't think they can ask for too much, given his reputation and numbers the last two years, he's a guy I'd take a chance on for sure. He's cooled off a bit lately, but over the last month he's hitting .317/.417/.467/.883. If you assume he'll bounce back even to last year's numbers (OPS+ 110), he's still miles better than Avi or one of our many 4th outfielders.

I think Bruce and Cargo are pipe dreams at this point, so the Sox are in the position where they need to look at moves like this. No one's going to just give us currently productive players for nothing, we don't have much trade ammo left at all , and there isn't much on the free agent market next year.

Saladino has a higher WAR than Bruce, who can only realistically DH on a contending club.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 05:05 PM)
"Traditionally, centre field is not a premium offensive position," Hahn said. "You put a premium offensive player (Avisail Garcia) at a premium defensive position, it puts you in a pretty good spot for a club going forward.

"We are not married to the idea of him playing centre. We wanted to take a look at it, get to know the kid a little bit better. He's extremely athletic, he has a world of tools and we want to give him the opportunity to play it out again at the premium position, even if he ultimately does wind up at a corner here in Chicago."

http://m.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article/55983572/

Hmmm, not sure that has anything to do with you polishing his hall of fame statue every day when he came up. Nor does it have anything to do with you declaring he was the best centerfielder in the league despite him playing the position like 3 times that season

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 05:07 PM)
Saladino has a higher WAR than Bruce, who can only realistically DH on a contending club.
That's because of Tyler's defense. Bruce is way better on offense. But you're right, the AL is probably the only viable destination for him. I still don't think the Reds are going to let him go for what the Sox would offer because there's no reason for them to. He's got another option year on his contract so they can likely pick that up (why not) and see what his market is in the offseason if no one blows them away at the deadline.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
Hmmm, not sure that has anything to do with you polishing his hall of fame statue every day when he came up. Nor does it have anything to do with you declaring he was the best centerfielder in the league despite him playing the position like 3 times that season

Well, not every prediction is going to be right...and just because a player has all the tools in the world doesn't mean they're going to take advantage of them.

I remember back in 1985, I must have bought 100 Eric Davis rookie cards thinking he was going to be the next Mays/Mantle. Didn't happen.

By WAR, Puig's at 1.0 (and looking at around 1.5-2.5 for a full season assuming he stays healthy and continues his recent improved play). That would place him 34th out of 53 in the category (qualified number of AB's). Not nearly up to the standards of his first two seasons, but if a bunch of "Avi Garcia could do that in his sleep in RF" posts come up, it will be pretty amusing.

In the context of AL MLB outfielders, 48th-51st out of 197 total players. So, if that's not a starting outfielder, I'm not sure what is.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
Remember when people wanted to trade Quintana for him? Gah, what a bad trade that would have been.

I remember, lol. I was one of the few that said "no". ;)

I would take Puig in a trade in hopes of him rebounding at the cell but I wouldn't give up any of the Sox top prospects to get him. Not really sure what Puig's trade value is, but I know it is not what it once was.

I think I underestimated the clubhouse stuff. It really bothered me his first year the stories on him about how he didn't "appreciate" mlb history or those that came before...well no crap guy just got off boat from authoritarian country where he probably had little clue what was going on in MLB. But it hasn't just been one guy who disliked him, it's been a lot of stories. I was blown away by Puig's rookie year and would have given up anything to watch that, but now I just feel like it would be worst case scenario here. Always seems to.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 05:29 PM)
Well, not every prediction is going to be right...and just because a player has all the tools in the world doesn't mean they're going to take advantage of them.

I remember back in 1985, I must have bought 100 Eric Davis rookie cards thinking he was going to be the next Mays/Mantle. Didn't happen.

By WAR, Puig's at 1.0 (and looking at around 1.5-2.5 for a full season assuming he stays healthy and continues his recent improved play). That would place him 34th out of 53 in the category (qualified number of AB's). Not nearly up to the standards of his first two seasons, but if a bunch of "Avi Garcia could do that in his sleep in RF" posts come up, it will be pretty amusing.

In the context of AL MLB outfielders, 48th-51st out of 197 total players. So, if that's not a starting outfielder, I'm not sure what is.

15 AL teams 3 starters =45. 48-51 doesn't quite make it.

That said, if they were willing to trade him for a meddling prospect I would do it quickly,as long as that altercation with his sister was false.

Edited by Dick Allen

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos...qualified/false

No, it was for all MLB outfielders, not just AL. It's pretty much impossible to do a stats screen for Puig and not have NL teams come up with him.

For some reason, the post/s disappeared. Probably because if we want to start a back and forth about everyone's past assessments on players, the Gordon Beckham 2008-09 time period would be a good one and everyone could be made to look foolish without much difficulty. Even MLB GM's can often fall into that category with their "overpraise" of new acquisitions to sell them to the fanbase.

If anyone on this site (including the mods) can be correct on their talent assessments more than 50% of the time, they probably should be working in an MLB front office or on Wall Street in analysis/forecasting.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 06:28 PM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos...qualified/false

No, it was for all MLB outfielders, not just AL. It's pretty much impossible to do a stats screen for Puig and not have NL teams come up with him.

For some reason, the post/s disappeared. Probably because if we want to start a back and forth about everyone's past assessments on players, the Gordon Beckham 2008-09 time period would be a good one and everyone could be made to look foolish without much difficulty. Even MLB GM's can often fall into that category with their "overpraise" of new acquisitions to sell them to the fanbase.

If anyone on this site (including the mods) can be correct on their talent assessments more than 50% of the time, they probably should be working in an MLB front office or on Wall Street in analysis/forecasting.

I am sure they appreciate it, but why do you think the mods know more than everyone else? I bet even a couple of them don't even have a high school varsity letter.