Rodon's Replacement in Rotation

GGajewski18

whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 7m7 minutes ago

FYI I'm hearing it's prolly gonna be Jake Turner taking Rodon's spot in the rotation while he rehabs wrist, not Carson Fulmer

whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 6m6 minutes ago

Interesting because Turner is out of options and would have to be DFA when Rodon returns. Team doesn't have a lot of MiLB SP depth

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
Maybe the fact that his is making $1.5 million and hasn't dominated AAA makes his getting through waivers pretty simple.

Or maybe they keep him around and work him out of the bullpen.

That is sorta what I am thinking (regarding bullpen). Or maybe they are happy to save the ~$750k if someone does claim him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
Maybe the fact that his is making $1.5 million and hasn't dominated AAA makes his getting through waivers pretty simple.

Or maybe they keep him around and work him out of the bullpen.

Looking at his AAA numbers they probably aren't really worried about him being claimed.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
You'd be wrong. He's nailed just about everything this year.

I don't know. I don't have twitter but go have been to his page when I have seen him being talked about on here. He doesn't seem very professional at all. Almost as if he is trying to be an insider but isn't. I've only skimmed his page, so I'll take your word for it.

I'm not worried about losing Turner at all, but I think I'd rather give Anthony Ranaudo a shot. He's been pretty damn good this year (2.75 ERA before his last start where he gave up 6 ER) and they wouldn't have to expose him to waivers to send him back down. He hasn't pitched since the 8th so he should be good to go whenever. He's been bad in previous MLB callups but with him out of options next year, why not bring him up and see what he's got?

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
I don't know. I don't have twitter but go have been to his page when I have seen him being talked about on here. He doesn't seem very professional at all. Almost as if he is trying to be an insider but isn't. I've only skimmed his page, so I'll take your word for it.

Well he called the Latos DFA. The Shields trade a week in advance with exact players. The Rollins DFA and Anderson call up.

Pretty spot on.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
The only thing I can think of that he's missed on what the Burdi plan, but I also am not 100% sure that was him anyway.

I believe he said August. Also, when it was draft time, he said Burdi at 26 and he'll be ecstatic, that was really the 1st time I heard Burdi linked to the Sox before.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
Ranaudo makes much more sense than Turner and IMO more sense than Fulmer

Yep, glad someone else is on the same page as me. Ranaudo absolutely deserves the shot. He'll be out of options after this year so they might as well see what he can do for a start or two and maybe he can be a viable rotation piece or trade bait after this year.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
The only thing I can think of that he's missed on what the Burdi plan, but I also am not 100% sure that was him anyway.

He also reported that the Sox and Cespedes finalized a contract in December

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 12:36 PM)

I truly believe that Cespedes was the sox 1A plan and were very close to getting him.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)

He did. He's missed on some things for sure but he's also been the first on some things and has absolutely proven to have credibility. Just cause you're credible and have sources doesn't mean you're going to hit on 100 percent of things.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
He did. He's missed on some things for sure but he's also been the first on some things and has absolutely proven to have credibility. Just cause you're credible and have sources doesn't mean you're going to hit on 100 percent of things.

Agreed. And deals always seem to fall apart so even if you know something can happen soon doesn't mean it always comes together.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)

He might have been headed to the sox if the Mets did not finally decide they absolutely had to have him or their offense would be even more awful....

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
Why would they bring up Turner just to DFA when Rodon is back? Talk about bullpen depth but they just recalled Kahnle before the brak for the umpteenthtime. Maybe another FA or trade move is getting ready to be made?

I think the theory to replace Beck with Turner makes the most sense.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 05:11 PM)
Why would they bring up Turner just to DFA when Rodon is back? Talk about bullpen depth but they just recalled Kahnle before the brak for the umpteenthtime. Maybe another FA or trade move is getting ready to be made?

Like others have said, he's getting paid $1.5M this year and has not done very well in Charlotte. He would most likely slip through waivers.