Sox Looking for CFers

GGajewski18

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 09:58 PM)
Standing pat is just a gutless move. Pick a direction and roll with it. We're wasting the careers of our core. This team is f***ed at the deadline because Hahn can't fill in the pieces around this core and has to trade assets each offseason just to make this team halfway competitive; this leaves us without the necessary assets to go get pieces we need at the deadline the past couple seasons.

Exactly.

Mark

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:52 AM)
Lillian, with all due respect, back to the drawing board with that plan.

We might be laughed out of the American League with that plan...or at least the City of Chicago.

That may be, however he is probably the most suitable option, within the organization. I don't trust our front office to make any more trades.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:25 AM)
I'm ready to give the journeyman Minor Leaguer, Jason Burgeois a shot. I know that he's 34, but he's always been a capable hitter, and is having a career year.

.253/.300/.326 in 761 major league plate appearances. Where do you see a capable hitter?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
fixed.

Doesn't trust the front office to make a trade, so therefore, it's time to downgrade the position. I am shocked because Shuck is left handed.

Your wise crack aside, you stumbled onto an interesting point. Shuck actually has a history of hitting left handers better than right handers, so using him because he's left handed, doesn't make sense. Moreover, I haven't been advocating a left handed hitter per say, but rather a "middle of the order" Left handed hitter. Hopefully, Morneau will fill that role. For those of you who think that I obsess about the need for a middle of the order, left handed bat, I'll remind you that Hahn has openly acknowledged that very need.

I like Bourgeois because he could hit lead off. He has pretty good on base percentage skills, doesn't strike out much and can steal a base. I am not thrilled with Anderson leading off, because of his inability to take walks. If Bourgeois led off and could produce around a .350 OBP, then Eaton could stay in the #2 hole, and Anderson could hit somewhere further down in the lineup, although I'm not sure where.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
Your wise crack aside, you stumbled onto an interesting point. Shuck actually has a history of hitting left handers better than right handers, so using him because he's left handed, doesn't make sense. Moreover, I haven't been advocating a left handed hitter per say, but rather a "middle of the order" Left handed hitter. Hopefully, Morneau will fill that role. For those of you who think that I obsess about the need for a middle of the order, left handed bat, I'll remind you that Hahn has openly acknowledged that very need.

I like Bourgeois because he could hit lead off. He has pretty good on base percentage skills, doesn't strike out much and can steal a base. I am not thrilled with Anderson leading off, because of his inability to take walks. If Bourgeois led off and could produce around a .350 OBP, then Eaton could stay in the #2 hole, and Anderson could hit somewhere further down in the lineup, although I'm not sure where.

No Bourgeois doesn't have good OBP skills in the major leagues. In AAA, fine. But not now.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
Any opinions on Melvin Upton or my previous posts? I still think he's going to be the most realistic target. I'm curious though as to how much salary we can take on.

I agree with you. I really don't want to trade adams / etc for players that don't excite me that much and could theoretically upgrade over. Upton is like Liriano a few years ago. Flawed, but a veteran, short term deal that won't kill you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 10:59 PM)
If the Pomeranz trade is any indication of where the trade market is at, I am good with standing pat.

You seem like you're approaching a point of accepting whatever happens this season with the team as is and if they miss the playoffs making a number of moves as sellers. Is that a fair description?

(to note again, that's the last thing I expect to happen)

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)

He has a career .300 OBP in the majors. Why would that suddenly increase by 50 points at age 34? When he played 93 games in a season at age 29, it was .323.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
I think a guy like Peter Bourjos could be a target. White Sox have been interested in him in the past. Talked about sending Hector Santiago to Angels for him.

They knew they could get him for Santiago but where asking other teams if they had any interest. He can't hit at all.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
He has a career .300 OBP in the majors. Why would that suddenly increase by 50 points at age 34? When he played 93 games in a season at age 29, it was .323.

With ample playing time in the minors, the guy is hitting over .350 with an OBP over .400. Sure, he's 34, but he's at least played well enough to earn a chance at the majors this year.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)
With ample playing time in the minors, the guy is hitting over .350 with an OBP over .400. Sure, he's 34, but he's at least played well enough to earn a chance at the majors this year.

The next time a 34 year old breaks out in the major leagues, let me know.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
I think a guy like Peter Bourjos could be a target. White Sox have been interested in him in the past. Talked about sending Hector Santiago to Angels for him.

Very good defender, but unless there's something seriously wrong with Shuck's defense, I don't see the point. Shuck has started to hit well now that he's been playing.

Now he's not on another team and wasn't good 3 years ago, so Hahn is likely unimpressed.

But instead of hunting for a CF, they might hold sway and see how Morneau does. Because right now, DH is a far bigger deficit.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
Very good defender, but unless there's something seriously wrong with Shuck's defense, I don't see the point. Shuck has started to hit well now that he's been playing.

Now he's not on another team and wasn't good 3 years ago, so Hahn is likely unimpressed.

But instead of hunting for a CF, they might hold sway and see how Morneau does. Because right now, DH is a far bigger deficit.

another ignorant remark, but thats par for the course

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)

Shuck is -5 in DRS.

Peter Bourjos is -2

Melvin Upton is +11

3 run difference is important. But the +11 is a bigger swing. Shuck is still a negative player because of his defense and that's probably the way it's going to remain. Right now we're giving up 13 runs in the OF from 2 players. They need to minimize the bad players in the OF to 1.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
The next time a 34 year old breaks out in the major leagues, let me know.

I'm not expecting him to "break out", but when a guy is doing as ridiculously well in the minors as he is, he deserves the chance to hit in the majors. I think he could be better than Shuck.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
I'm not expecting him to "break out", but when a guy is doing as ridiculously well in the minors as he is, he deserves the chance to hit in the majors. I think he could be better than Shuck.

Since Jackson hurt his knee, Shuck is hitting .299 with an OPS over .800.