Drew Pomeranz to the Red Sox

Bigsoxhurt35

Drew Pomeranz - S - Red Sox

Red Sox acquired LHP Drew Pomeranz from the Padres for RHP prospect Anderson Espinoza.

The Padres and Red Sox have been trade partners before, teaming up on the Craig Kimbrel deal last offseason. After beating around the bush with trades for Aaron Hill and Brad Ziegler, Sox president Dave Dombrowski finally buckled down and addressed Boston's biggest need by adding a starting pitcher. Pomeranz was an All-Star for the Padres in the first half, notching a steady 2.47 ERA over 17 outings while sporting an impressive 10.15. Boston's rotation now features Pomeranz, David Price, Steven Wright, Rick Porcello and Eduardo Rodriguez. The 27-year-old is under team control through 2018. If Pomeranz pitches the way he did in San Diego over the last few months, the Red Sox will have a good chance to contend in the AL East.

Source: San Diego Union-TribuneJul 14 - 6:12 PM

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 07:03 PM)
Dombrowski is determined to upgrade their chances with the 3 moves he made this month. I guess the White Sox never matched up with our young pitching for their young hitting.

I am sure they matched up quite well but the Whitesox arent selling right now.

This is one of the better trades that I have seen recently.

Preller basically traded a platoon player (in Alonso) for one of top 15 prospects in all of baseball.

While San Diego has a long way to go to being respectable, they have injected some serious talent into their system the past 6 months.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 01:53 AM)
This is one of the better trades that I have seen recently.

Preller basically traded a platoon player (in Alonso) for one of top 15 prospects in all of baseball.

While San Diego has a long way to go to being respectable, they have injected some serious talent into their system the past 6 months.

Agreed. They get a lot of flack but I think they've done a good job. Got more for Kimbrel than what they gave up (because they took on Upton), got draft picks for Kennedy and Justin Upton, could potentially get something for Melvin Upton and Matt Kemp. Plus they've traded some bullpen pieces.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)
Agreed. They get a lot of flack but I think they've done a good job. Got more for Kimbrel than what they gave up (because they took on Upton), got draft picks for Kennedy and Justin Upton, could potentially get something for Melvin Upton and Matt Kemp. Plus they've traded some bullpen pieces.

You need a clause in there. "They've done a good job since date x" or something like that. They did a terrible job trying to build a competitive team last year and now they're stuck with a couple more years of rebuilding because of how terrible that job was. So far they're making reasonable moves in trying to recover from their self-made debacle.

Preller has done an interesting job. After spending a season "going for it" he saw the reality and went the other way. This was a steal. He got more for Kimbrall than he paid when trading for him...a nice bit of arbitrage there. And he's doing a ton internationally.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
You need a clause in there. "They've done a good job since date x" or something like that. They did a terrible job trying to build a competitive team last year and now they're stuck with a couple more years of rebuilding because of how terrible that job was. So far they're making reasonable moves in trying to recover from their self-made debacle.

That's what I mean . Tried to build a contender (as we tried) but did a good job of changing the direction and have brought in good young talent.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)

It was partially self-made. The Padres were a 77 win team when he took over.

At least he had the awareness to reverse course quickly when his team won 74 games. He's done a good job recovering; even Myers, whom he overpaid for, probably has much of his trade value resurrected.

Hahn won 76 and kept plugging. We'll see.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
It was partially self-made. The Padres were a 77 win team when he took over.

At least he had the awareness to reverse course quickly when his team won 74 games. He's done a good job recovering; even Myers, whom he overpaid for, probably has much of his trade value resurrected.

Hahn won 76 and kept plugging. We'll see.

LOL

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 07:11 PM)
Man I wonder what package the sox could honestly get for Q or Sale from Boston, Texas or LAD? They're not gona do it but I'm just curious.

I think the hooker in Full Metal Metal Jacket put it best...

Anything you want.

Anything?

Anything.