Carson Fulmer Getting Called Up?

Why wouldn't they send him back to AAA and let him start there then bring him up in Sept and let him get a few starts. Shields and Gonzo could be tradeable pieces in the offseason so the Sox may be better leaving them iin the rotation and hope they look at least average over the next 4-6 weeks.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 08:02 AM)
We are stuck with Shields, nobody is going to want to deal for him this offseason.

2017 rotation:

Sale

Quintana

Shields

Rodon

Fulmer

We better hope Shields and Rodon are good next year

If I'm Hahn, I put Shields on waivers.

And your 2017 rotation would indicate the Sox are going with perennial failure mode. No thanks.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)

And your 2017 rotation would indicate the Sox are going with perennial failure mode. No thanks.

Every single major league baseball player is going to be put on waivers at some point this month.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 07:27 AM)
Why wouldn't they send him back to AAA and let him start there then bring him up in Sept and let him get a few starts. Shields and Gonzo could be tradeable pieces in the offseason so the Sox may be better leaving them iin the rotation and hope they look at least average over the next 4-6 weeks.

Part of the reason he isn't starting is that they need to limit his innings this year. So will he learn more pitching in AAA or the MLB while pitching in relief?

The answer is, that's why they get paid what they do. We'll see if they are right.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 08:02 AM)
We are stuck with Shields, nobody is going to want to deal for him this offseason.

2017 rotation:

Sale

Quintana

Shields

Rodon

Fulmer

We better hope Shields and Rodon are good next year

We still have one year of control on Miguel Gonzalez yet. I bet they don't throw Fulmer into the rotation from the get go. Barring a trade our opening day rotation will be Sale, Q, Rodon, Shields and Gonzalez. That's a pretty dang good rotation.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 08:06 AM)

I assure you that Shields has been on (or is on) waivers, and has likely cleared. The $ the Pads sent with him wouldn't be netted off his contract if someone claimed him, meaning no one will.

However, I don't think Shields is untradable. His last two starts have sucked, but I think the Sox can definitely move him this month or offseason without eating additional cash - don't know that they'll get much.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 12:25 PM)
Part of the reason he isn't starting is that they need to limit his innings this year. So will he learn more pitching in AAA or the MLB while pitching in relief?

The answer is, that's why they get paid what they do. We'll see if they are right.

Makes sense on limiting the innings and getting his feet wet w major league hitters. But it might be tough to then try and make him a ML starter in 2017. He may need some portion of next year in AAA as a starter. If he is ticketed for the bullpen next year, then keeping him in the present role makes sense.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
We still have one year of control on Miguel Gonzalez yet. I bet they don't throw Fulmer into the rotation from the get go. Barring a trade our opening day rotation will be Sale, Q, Rodon, Shields and Gonzalez. That's a pretty dang good rotation.

That is a great rotation. If we had them this season, we would be playoff bound.........................................

What's best for a kid in this situation? I've always been curious what the opinions are of better baseball minds than mine.

On one hand, the common theory is to let a guy get seasoning and work things out in the minors. It doesn't effect your big league club, less pressure perceivably on the prospect, etc.

One the other hand, we supposedly have this great pitching guru in Cooper. So wouldn't it be more beneficial for the organization, and the player, to have him working with Coop as much as possible? I'd argue on talent alone he could be in our bullpen (even if it doesn't appear so right now).

We know we aren't competing next year regardless of a fire sale or not.

So what is better for your organization in these kinds of situations? Especially, when it comes to your top pitching prospect/top prospect in general?

Edited by HeGone7