Carson Fulmer Getting Called Up?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to kill whatever trade value he has right now. Way too premature to call him up now. If they really see him as a reliever why not give him a few weeks in the AAA pen to make sure he can handle the jump? I was much more confident about Anderson (but slightly concerned about the walk rate going forward) but I don't see this going well for Fulmer his first time around.

I guess we are not trading for any impact bats if this means Fulmer is going to stay with the team.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)
This is going to kill whatever trade value he has right now. Way too premature to call him up now. If they really see him as a reliever why not give him a few weeks in the AAA pen to make sure he can handle the jump? I was much more confident about Anderson (but slightly concerned about the walk rate going forward) but I don't see this going well for Fulmer his first time around.

I guess we are not trading for any impact bats if this means Fulmer is going to stay with the team.

This isn't going to hurt his trade value at all. And I highly doubt there has been any plan to trade him this season.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)

Dont think sox would be trading fulmer unless its a true bat thats under control. I've read fulmer is definitely bullpen ready now. Let him get his taste now then getting going into rotation next year.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
This isn't going to hurt his trade value at all. And I highly doubt there has been any plan to trade him this season.

If he can't make it as a reliever then there's no way it would work out as a starter. That's all I'm saying.

And if there is no plans to trade Fulmer I am really confused because they won't have a good shot at a wild card this season. I thought they were "going for it"? I guess the 3rd year of the 3 year plan is what they are banking on. Yeah, that's gotta be it.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:31 PM)
Dont think sox would be trading fulmer unless its a true bat thats under control. I've read fulmer is definitely bullpen ready now. Let him get his taste now then getting going into rotation next year.

I'm not convinced Fulmer will be any better than Gonzalez next year. That doesn't help us improve the team with what little chance this team has to actually make the playoffs in the next few years. The only way the Sox will need Fulmer is if Shields opts out.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 08:37 PM)
I'm not convinced Fulmer will be any better than Gonzalez next year. That doesn't help us improve the team with what little chance this team has to actually make the playoffs in the next few years. The only way the Sox will need Fulmer is if Shields opts out.

I think he will be good. You may not be convinced but i am and believe he can be good. Hopefully he proves you wrong over the rest of the season

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 07:50 PM)
I think he will be good. You may not be convinced but i am and believe he can be good. Hopefully he proves you wrong over the rest of the season

Of course he "can be" good. He's a 1st round pick after all. That doesn't mean he is ready for the majors.

Their experiment to fast track Burdi is failing because they wanted him in the pen this year and that is highly doubtful to happen with how many hits he's giving up in the low minors. Perhaps they are just giving Fulmer the chance this year instead.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 08:37 PM)

Fulmer has better "stuff" than Gonzo from his 94 -95 mph fastball with movement to his curve and slider. Fulmer has core strength, endurance , and tenacity. He has demonstrated humility and is eager to accept advice from veterans and suggestions from coaches. Fulmer's aggressive mound presence may be more suitable as a reliever right now but he can learn to dial that back in order to be a starter. Having said that, there is no reason to doubt Fulmer. Instead, Sox fans should be excited to see him break into the majors to help in the bullpen. Or would you rather see the corpulent Matt Albers as the first man out of the bullpen for the rest of this season?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 11:38 PM)
Please send Fulmer back down before he is infected with the very virulent strain of Soxitis that is running rampant through them now.

Unfortunately, it is too late. This strain is so powerful, even mere exposure to the 25-man roster is enough for infection.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
Fulmer has better "stuff" than Gonzo from his 94 -95 mph fastball with movement to his curve and slider. Fulmer has core strength, endurance , and tenacity. He has demonstrated humility and is eager to accept advice from veterans and suggestions from coaches. Fulmer's aggressive mound presence may be more suitable as a reliever right now but he can learn to dial that back in order to be a starter. Having said that, there is no reason to doubt Fulmer. Instead, Sox fans should be excited to see him break into the majors to help in the bullpen. Or would you rather see the corpulent Matt Albers as the first man out of the bullpen for the rest of this season?

Rookies are extremely inconsistent. Just look at Rodon who projects as a much better starter than Fulmer and even he has been awful at times this year. I don't think it would be fair to expect better than a 4.50 ERA or so out of him if he is a starter next year. More than likely it will be just over 5.00. Which is why I was saying he won't be better than Gonzalez next year so it's not making the team any better when we could trade Fulmer to cover another hole.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
We'll figure that out as we go along = He is a reliever but we aren't ready to admit that to the public yet.

Naw. No way they don't give him a shot before making that confession.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 02:53 PM)
Hahn on Fulmer's long term path as a starter or reliver....

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20160807&...ws&c_id=cws

I'm afraid they're f***ing this kid up.

That's only happen if they kept bouncing him between the pen and rotation IMO.

He pitched two innings today, didn't watch it. How did he look?

He was starting to pitch well at AA before they called him up. He needs to go there next year and AAA to start games. He's a starter until proven otherwise.

Edited by SouthSideSale