What to do at the Trade Deadline

GGajewski18

Trade Deadline  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Sox do at the Trade Deadline?

• Buy
    • Sell
    • Stand Pat

Whichever answer you choose, please give detail in why you chose that option.

If you choose buy, tell us why and which players you would target to improve the Sox to make a playoff run.

If you choose sell, tell us why and which players would be available in trade and what players you'd target from other teams.

If you choose stand pat, well that's self explanatory.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 06:00 PM)
If anyone answers stand pat...

Standing pat in 2016 is not as bad of a decision as standing pat in 2015 was as this entire roster will still be there and tradeable this offseason. No one of any consequence hits the free agent market this offseason, which was not the case last year.

I chose sell like any rational Sox fan would do in our current situation. The sad thing is, I have zero faith in Hahn/KW bringing back proper value. Not only that, they are so stubborn, I can actually see them buying at the deadline. They are beyond desperate to make the playoffs as it will "justify" their Robin Ventura hire 5 years ago. Reality hurts. The team and roster they put together is average at best and their manager and coaching staff are not good enough to change that.

I definitely think that the Sox should be sellers, but selling what?

Overall, I like our pitching and hope we can keep that in tact, for the most part. I do realize that you have to trade talent to get any real talent in return and I'm not sure that any of our offensive players would bring much in return to make a big difference next season.

It would be great if we could find another Carlos Quentin or a young, under valued center fielder or catcher to improve the offense. Of course, as many have brought up, I do not trust our current management team to be able to find these types of players.

I'd sell.

Robertson would be a great trade chip and can bring back a good package. I'd also entertain offers for Frazier as well, not sure what would be offered but there's probably a team out there that thinks he'll turn it on for them if they get him.

Realistically I doubt the Sox do much, if anything they'll make a minor trade.

Sell. Put Frazier, Melky, Lawrie, Robertson, Duke, & Shields (or Gonzalez) on the market. Trade any and all of them if the return merits a move. Listen to offers on Quintana but only move him if blown away.

Give Saladino a legit opportunity at 3B or 2B the rest of the season. The same goes for Coats in LF if Melky is moved. Call up Leury Garcia to see if he can a legit bench option. Call up Ranaudo and give him a look if Shields or Gonzalez is moved. Make Nate Jones the closer going forward. DFA Albers & Navarro. Let Kevan Smith serve as the backup catcher. Give some of the young arms (Kahnle, Ynoa, Beck) looks the rest of the way. Long-story short, give the young guys in AAA and above some chances and see if any of them might be able to contribute next season.

In the offseason, you start seriously exploring trades for Sale, Quintana, Eaton, & Abreu. The free agent market will be incredibly weak, so these guys should be worth a f***ton. Obviously don't move these guys simply for the sake of doing so, but my guess is there will be plenty of offers that will more than tempting, at least for the first three guys. The goal for 2017 should be about developement across the organization. Put the young guys in the best situations to help the organization long-term and not fill short-term needs. I want Fulmer & Burdi in the minors working on becoming starters. I want Collins in AA working on his catching. Let Alec Hansen start in low A and build some confidence before moving up to A+.

Rebuilding is an ugly word and a dangerous game, but expecting things to magically get better with a bottom 5 farm system and weak free agent classes is much scarier IMO. It's finally time for a fresh start and unfortunately that means making some tough decisions.

Frazier, Melky, and Robertson all need to go at the deadline. Those 3 clearly won't be here when/if the team is in contention. In the off season is when "they" (hopefully "they" are new) have to sit down and honestly think about moving 1, or more, of Abreu, Sale, or Q. There just flat out isn't enough talent in the organization and the sooner they can admit that the better off the team will be.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)
2 weeks from tomorrow is the deadline. Let's see how bad or good the next 10 days are.

This is what thinking as well. I don't expect much of a turn around between now and the deadline but I'm willing to wait 10 days and see where the SOX are at.

I'd like to see the SOX sell a few assets but I don't expect JR to be eager to sell and rebuild at his age.

If the Sox officially enter seller mode, then I would push Eaton out there front and center. Valuable as a hitter, and with his defense in RF and the great rep he's getting for that defense, should have great trade value, well above his true abilities.

I'm sure JR doesn't want to rebuild, but this is the product that his guys came up with when going for it. Frazier was their elite hitter. He's got to do something.

Edited by GreenSox

It pains me to say it, but the Sox need to tear this thing down and start the fire sale. Trade Sale to Boston for that Moncada kid plus another few prospects. Trade Q to Houston for Bregman +. Abreu, Frazier, Robertson, Melky, Lawrie should all be shopped as well. This will never happen under JR's ownership though so it is basically a waste of time to even consider.

What the Sox will do is stand pat. They don't have the trade chips to bring any impactful bats for this year or next since they won't be willing to deal Anderson or Fulmer. Hahn will say some nonsense about how they tried to make a move but couldn't find any acceptable trade partners. He will also say something about how he sees improvement this year and thinks that this team will be ready to compete again next year with a couple more additions. The Sox are nothing if not predictable, so they will do the predictable thing and stay the course.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
If anyone answers stand pat...

I am giving a "qualified" sell vote. On the surface (and in a vacuum), selling players with the most potential to deliver the best possible return seems like the only reasonable approach for the front office to take. That said, given their track record of targeting athletic, but fundamentally flawed, position players (possessing 1-2 above average and 2-3 substandard tools), I don't have much faith in the White Sox organization's ability to secure and develope young mlb (or near MLB) ready position playing talent.

It is easy to say sell, but once you do sell, unless you are Caulfield, you can't take it back. Some prospects are nice, but who do the Sox trade that brings back top prospects who,actually are any good? There were several people excited about Avi Garcia back in the day. How does acquiring players like that enhance the future?

No,way would I trade Sale or Q and not get at least so,etching major league back. Trade Robertson and you will spend the next few years looking for a reliever. It isn't like they are going to be able to make much of a splash in the free agent market. If I were Hahn, I would be looking for offensive upgrades from teams that want financial relief.

I don't care what they do. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it . They are right now a very strange organization both on the field and in the front office. Even the guys on the field can't choose a direction. They've alternated between being great then sucking. Right when they give us hope they pull the rug out from under us.

Give us a good run against good teams , suck against the bad teams. Beat other divisions then suck in our own division. Get good starting pitching from the front line starters then the front line guys start to lose it and the back end starts pitching well. The only thing that has stayed fairly consistent is decent defense and bad hitting.

It wouldn't surprise me at all that after the current tailspin ends that they go on another hot streak which will of course confuse the front office. Strange days indeed (John Lennon)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 06:40 PM)
It is easy to say sell, but once you do sell, unless you are Caulfield, you can't take it back. Some prospects are nice, but who do the Sox trade that brings back top prospects who,actually are any good? There were several people excited about Avi Garcia back in the day. How does acquiring players like that enhance the future?

No,way would I trade Sale or Q and not get at least so,etching major league back. Trade Robertson and you will spend the next few years looking for a reliever. It isn't like they are going to be able to make much of a splash in the free agent market. If I were Hahn, I would be looking for offensive upgrades from teams that want financial relief.

The Sox playoff odds are currently less than 5%. They should be looking to dump salary not take more on.

Burdi and/or Fulmer can be the closer of the future. A non-contending team doesn't need a closer like Robertson.

Q or Sale will get you a team's #1 prospect. I would love to see that Moncada kid on the Sox. Future superstar in the making.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 07:49 PM)
The Sox playoff odds are currently less than 5%. They should be looking to dump salary not take more on.

Burdi and/or Fulmer can be the closer of the future. A non-contending team doesn't need a closer like Robertson.

Q or Sale will get you a team's #1 prospect. I would love to see that Moncada kid on the Sox. Future superstar in the making.

There is no way you would trade Sale or Q for a AA 2nd baseman/DH. The Red Sox top 3 prospects last year were Swihart, Owens and Castillo. All 3 are still on AAA roster. Swihart was #1 last year mainly because he was a catcher. But his defense was bad so now he is trying to make it as a left-fielder but is hurt. Owens was # 2 and he is struggling in AAA. Castillo was #3 and can be had for a bat and ball if you pay his salary.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 05:40 PM)

I think for Sale and Quintana they could bring back two MLB ready impact young players (Jackie Bradley Jr., Betts, Joc Pederson, Corey Seager some names as examples) then six near ready studs (Moncada, Benintendi, Devers, etc. from Boston. Just to name a few) and then a few very young prospects that are a few years away. That's just a ball park of what they'd need to get back. Truth is Hahn and the front office got the Avi trade wrong but did get a couple lower prospects that were used as trade bait (Montas, Wendelken). Do I trust them to sell and rebuild again? I don't think so. I think the sox need to clean house in the front office and bring in some fresh blood. Then completely rebuild the team. If they kept Hahn however, I wouldn't hate it if Q was moved at the deadline for a deal Hahn couldn't refuse. (let's say for arguments sake they moved Q to Boston for Bradley Jr., Moncada, Devers and Benintendi or Swihart) I think I could live with that deal. Gets a young proven all star OF, plus a 2B who is on a fast track to stardom in Moncada, then ya get two more top young prospect hitters. The Sale trade would be the one you take an off-season to work on. That one you HAVE to nail. Then you could turn around and unload the others (Frazier, Melky, etc.) I would keep Anderson, Rodon, Fulmer and Eaton as my new core.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)
I think for Sale and Quintana they could bring back two MLB ready impact young players (Jackie Bradley Jr., Betts, Joc Pederson, Corey Seager some names as examples) then six near ready studs (Moncada, Benintendi, Devers, etc. from Boston. Just to name a few) and then a few very young prospects that are a few years away. That's just a ball park of what they'd need to get back. Truth is Hahn and the front office got the Avi trade wrong but did get a couple lower prospects that were used as trade bait (Montas, Wendelken). Do I trust them to sell and rebuild again? I don't think so. I think the sox need to clean house in the front office and bring in some fresh blood. Then completely rebuild the team. If they kept Hahn however, I wouldn't hate it if Q was moved at the deadline for a deal Hahn couldn't refuse. (let's say for arguments sake they moved Q to Boston for Bradley Jr., Moncada, Devers and Benintendi or Swihart) I think I could live with that deal. Gets a young proven all star OF, plus a 2B who is on a fast track to stardom in Moncada, then ya get two more top young prospect hitters. The Sale trade would be the one you take an off-season to work on. That one you HAVE to nail. Then you could turn around and unload the others (Frazier, Melky, etc.) I would keep Anderson, Rodon, Fulmer and Eaton as my new core.

Those teams are not going to give up those major league players during the season if at all.