What to do at the Trade Deadline

GGajewski18

Trade Deadline  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Sox do at the Trade Deadline?

• Buy
    • Sell
    • Stand Pat

Hello all, am glad I found this forum. Regarding trades and player moves, the Sox do have some nice pieces (Sale, Frazier, Quintana, Jones, Eaton) some talent that has overperformed this year , perhaps slightly ( Laurie, Eaton, Quintana) and Shields has started to turn himself in a positive direction; cannot blame him for the losses the last 2 starts as he kept the opponent in check.

What has been killing this team is the lack of production from Melky, Abreu, from the Catcher's spot in the lineup and especially Garcia. Yeah I know, thanks Captain Obvious for pointing this out.

Pitching wins in the playoffs but in order to get there you have to be able to hit, manufacture and score runs.

The best starting pitcher available on a losing team that is out of the pennant race if Oakland's Rich Hill who is also on the final year of his contract, Oakland will need to trade him because they rarely spend the $ NEEDED to sign Free Agents.

Hill had an injury hick up but came back from that with his 9th win in his last start vs only 3 losses in just 14 starts. With a 2.25 ERA he has the 2nd lowest in the league among starters with at least 14 games started. Given his age (36) and the payroll space the Sox will have next year not having the Danks, Rollins, Rodriguez ? buyout (last year's starting SS), Latos and possibly not Morneau; the team will have plenty of payroll space to add a starter especially if Shields chooses to opt out of his current contract (which he has the option to do so after this season) which would free up at least another $10M in payroll.

Oakland likes young and cheap players in return that they can coach up. Sox should package Rodon(who I don't believe has what it takes to be an effective starter), Saladino(will not get PT with Anderson) & Garcia in trade for Hill. It may sound like alot but those 3 will not have much impact on the team going forward and are all at low salaries. Oakland can't expect any more in return for a player they know they will not resign.

Once that trade is completed and it should be done ASAP, the Sox have a painful decision to make as they would have a great starting rotation of Sale, Quintant, Hill & Shields but not enough bats in the lineup to produce the runs needed to win and compete for the Playoffs.

Quintana has greatly overperformed where I thought his ceiling is and his record has suffered due to the lack of run support. He is young and under a team friendly contract for the next 3 years. There are several NL teams who would love to have him and I believe the Sox can get at least 2 starring position players in return. For example Milwaukee has not had a #1 starter in it's rotation in years (a role Quintana can fill) and they have several fine position players who hit well. they've not won because their pitcher is horrible.

As much as I would want to add Braun, he is on the wrong side of 30 playing in the outfield, he's having a great year but I'd rather get Chris Carter who while a 1B can DH. He has hit alot of HR's the last 4 years for Houston & Milwaukee along with Lucroy who is an outstanding Catcher (a position of Sox need) and has hit for a .300 or higher average 3 of the last 5 years with a low of .264 last year and .280 in 2013. Would rather get at least those 2 in a trade but would take Braun and Lucroy.

there are likely other teams that have 2 bats the WS would want, am more familair with Milwaukee.

This is alot ot get done before trade deadline but that is what a top GM is for and Hahn hsa provide he can get deals done. These 2 trades get the WS back in the wildcard race and with the payroll room they will have next year they should not have trouble resigning FA's like Hill,

Thoughts?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Policiious @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 11:50 AM)
Thoughts?

1.) Welcome aboard!!!

2.) Your ideas are about the worst proposals I've ever seen since posting here in 2003. Rodon, Saladino, and Garcia... For a rental of Rich Hill??

What???????

The number three draft pick in the country two years ago, a positive WAR utility player, and a league average young guy with potential unrealized talent... For two months of a reinvented pitcher coming off an injury?

Dude.

3.) Please stay and keep posting.

Eaton and Quintana haven't over-performed. No on Rich Hill, especially if it's for Rodon. I'd give them Avi for free though. I like getting Lucroy somehow, but realistically i dont think the sox can get a top of the line starter. I'm in the selling boat not the buying boat.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
1.) Welcome aboard!!!

2.) Your ideas are about the worst proposals I've ever seen since posting here in 2003. Rodon, Saladino, and Garcia... For a rental of Rich Hill??

What???????

The number three draft pick in the country two years ago, a positive WAR utility player, and a league average young guy with potential unrealized talent... For two months of a reinvented pitcher coming off an injury?

ro

Dude.

3.) Please stay and keep posting.

1) Saladino will not be a starter for this team and I get it that you need quality backups but Hill is a pitcher that could be signed for a 2 year deal at a reasonable price. He's 36 and having a heck of a year (9-3 2.25 era) 2nd lowest ERA in the AL for a starter with 14 or more starts. a 9-3 record on a team that is 10 games or more below .500 is a heck of an accomplishment. Rodon does not seem to be ML material to me, just an opinion. If they could get Hill for Garcia and Saladino, what would your thoughts be?

I want to add an arm to the rotation before trading Quintana. The team does not score enough and the only way they are going to get decent position players with quality bats is by parting with a top line starter (Quintana).

I believe Hill can be persuaded to sign a 2 year deal at this age and at a reasonable $12-$15M salary. Remember the Sox are cutting off alot of payroll after this year with Latos, danks, rolllins, possibly Morneau and of course no more buyout for the ex starting SS of $1M and the ex DH who retired at the start of this season who could not hit, another $13M savings. That's a total of $35M in total lost payroll, which leaves them with alot of $ to sign talent if there is a fit.

Yep Braun is on the wrong side of 30 but still a heck of a player, add LuCroy, him and Hill and IMO the lineup is much better, they are better defensively and the rotation is still solid

Frazier's the guy who will bring something back. Abreu has Rios numbers right now.

I just can't get over getting Vogelbach for a middle reliever. I know he has no real position, but we are a bit lacking at DH. That's org building without even really selling.

Hahn and Williams need to be looking around and open for business now. They're slow decision makers as it is, but it's time for them to face reality.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)
Frazier's the guy who will bring something back. Abreu has Rios numbers right now.

I just can't get over getting Vogelbach for a middle reliever. I know he has no real position, but we are a bit lacking at DH. That's org building without even really selling.

Hahn and Williams need to be looking around and open for business now. They're slow decision makers as it is, but it's time for them to face reality.

Funny you mention Vogelbach. Yesterday I was looking at his numbers and realized he's having a hell of a year so far. Not long ago someone was clamouring for the Sox to acquire Vogelbach and I kinda laughed but Vogelbach is hitting well enough to get a call up right now and sadly the SOX could use a LH high OBP bat. Like you, I can't get over how all it took to acquire Vogelbach was a MR.

Shame the Sox couldn't have picked up Vogelbach somehow. Then again, why would the cubs want to help the Sox with their offensive woes.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)

Its not hahn or Williams who need to face reality it jerry

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 06:59 PM)
They just lost fielder so they maybe desperate

They haven't really had Fielder this year. The DH was being used as a way to loosen up the log jam in the middle infield.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 07:01 PM)
At this point, if the Rangers wanted Abreu and Quintana for a package surrounding Profar and Dillon Tate, I might listen.

Saw Profar at AAA Round Rock. Easily the best play on the field. He looks like he might be figuring the majors out, too. Problems with him are you can't necessarily count on his shoulder and he's been in the organization for a while, so his control isn't great.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Policiious @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
1) Saladino will not be a starter for this team and I get it that you need quality backups but Hill is a pitcher that could be signed for a 2 year deal at a reasonable price. He's 36 and having a heck of a year (9-3 2.25 era) 2nd lowest ERA in the AL for a starter with 14 or more starts. a 9-3 record on a team that is 10 games or more below .500 is a heck of an accomplishment. Rodon does not seem to be ML material to me, just an opinion. If they could get Hill for Garcia and Saladino, what would your thoughts be?

I want to add an arm to the rotation before trading Quintana. The team does not score enough and the only way they are going to get decent position players with quality bats is by parting with a top line starter (Quintana).

I believe Hill can be persuaded to sign a 2 year deal at this age and at a reasonable $12-$15M salary. Remember the Sox are cutting off alot of payroll after this year with Latos, danks, rolllins, possibly Morneau and of course no more buyout for the ex starting SS of $1M and the ex DH who retired at the start of this season who could not hit, another $13M savings. That's a total of $35M in total lost payroll, which leaves them with alot of $ to sign talent if there is a fit.

Yep Braun is on the wrong side of 30 but still a heck of a player, add LuCroy, him and Hill and IMO the lineup is much better, they are better defensively and the rotation is still solid

Why pay that much for a 36+ year old hill and with the market being crap next year hes probably going to get more then that. Rodon is cheaper and still under control for a while and younger.

Who in the sox system after trading rodon is capable of getting lucroy let alone anyone else extra

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 07:01 PM)
At this point, if the Rangers wanted Abreu and Quintana for a package surrounding Profar and Dillon Tate, I might listen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 07:03 PM)
Heard very bad things about Tate this year

At 22, Tate hasn't even figured out Low A ball. Supposedly his velocity has taken a dip too. Not good.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 07:01 PM)
Its not hahn or Williams who need to face reality it jerry

I will blame Jerry to the extent he employs Hahn and Williams.

As Blacksox pointed out, Vogelbach is someone you could call-up this year, and for sure at least in September. He's not some prospect 3 years away. He fits with the Win-now mode. But Williams/hahn are just wed to their "proven veteran"theory, no matter how many of the veterans under-perform once they get here (and a lot of that is because they were already in decline).

Edited by GreenSox