What to do at the Trade Deadline

GGajewski18

Trade Deadline  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Sox do at the Trade Deadline?

• Buy
    • Sell
    • Stand Pat

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 4m4 minutes ago

Question in industry tonight: Will Kershaw-less #Dodgers try to overwhelm #WhiteSox with offers for Sale or Quintana?

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 3m3 minutes ago

#WhiteSox have given no public indication they will become sellers, yet they have worse record than much-talked-about #Yankees.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 2m2 minutes ago

#WhiteSox have 0.9% chance to win division, per @fangraphs, but difficult for GM Rick Hahn to sell after adding James Shields in June.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 28s28 seconds ago

#Dodgers will need to add pitching this winter, anyway, when FA class is weak. Might as well pursue Sale, Quintana, Gray, or #Rays arms now.

whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 30s30 seconds ago Chicago, IL

I am getting indications that the #WhiteSox may be re-considering their stance of being "non-sellers" in the coming weeks

Edited by SoxPride18

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Policiious @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
1) Saladino will not be a starter for this team and I get it that you need quality backups but Hill is a pitcher that could be signed for a 2 year deal at a reasonable price. He's 36 and having a heck of a year (9-3 2.25 era) 2nd lowest ERA in the AL for a starter with 14 or more starts. a 9-3 record on a team that is 10 games or more below .500 is a heck of an accomplishment. Rodon does not seem to be ML material to me, just an opinion. If they could get Hill for Garcia and Saladino, what would your thoughts be?

I want to add an arm to the rotation before trading Quintana. The team does not score enough and the only way they are going to get decent position players with quality bats is by parting with a top line starter (Quintana).

I believe Hill can be persuaded to sign a 2 year deal at this age and at a reasonable $12-$15M salary. Remember the Sox are cutting off alot of payroll after this year with Latos, danks, rolllins, possibly Morneau and of course no more buyout for the ex starting SS of $1M and the ex DH who retired at the start of this season who could not hit, another $13M savings. That's a total of $35M in total lost payroll, which leaves them with alot of $ to sign talent if there is a fit.

Yep Braun is on the wrong side of 30 but still a heck of a player, add LuCroy, him and Hill and IMO the lineup is much better, they are better defensively and the rotation is still solid

1.) you have a lot to learn

2.) bye bye

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
I will blame Jerry to the extent he employs Hahn and Williams.

As Blacksox pointed out, Vogelbach is someone you could call-up this year, and for sure at least in September. He's not some prospect 3 years away. He fits with the Win-now mode. But Williams/hahn are just wed to their "proven veteran"theory, no matter how many of the veterans under-perform once they get here (and a lot of that is because they were already in decline).

Re: Vogelbach.... He just went to Seattle.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/cubs...p;post-id=67367

Man if the Indians add Lucroy.

This is the time to sell. But can Hahn formulate a competent plan with KW overseeing it? Not so sure. I don't know how involved KW is but I'm sure he's lurking over it. Didn't he tell Hahn no when Hahn wanted to sell Samardzija last June?

Injuries to Dodgers and Rangers could help the sox get good returns.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
Man if the Indians add Lucroy.

This is the time to sell. But can Hahn formulate a competent plan with KW overseeing it? Not so sure. I don't know how involved KW is but I'm sure he's lurking over it. Didn't he tell Hahn no when Hahn wanted to sell Samardzija last June?

Injuries to Dodgers and Rangers could help the sox get good returns.

That is why Hahn already swooped in on the Carroll deal........................

whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 31m31 minutes ago Chicago, IL

I am getting indications that the #WhiteSox may be re-considering their stance of being "non-sellers" in the coming weeks

whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 29m29 minutes ago Chicago, IL

I won't name teams/players yet but have gotten semi-specific details

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 06:12 PM)

That asshat. :P

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 02:12 AM)

Of late, he's been dead on when it comes to specifics. My guess is Q to Astros/Cubs/Dodgers

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 06:18 PM)
I think they deal Sale this offseason unless they're blown away before the deadline. I can see Frazier, Melky, Q, Robertson at least.

Regarding 2018 / 2019...

If they sell Q - they sell Sale as well... Be it this offseason like you mention or not.

If you keep Sale - keep Q as well.

Keeping one or the other would be more of this half assed rebuilding/retooling s***.

Pick a direction and go that way.

The Sox will sit on their hands and do nothing at the deadline just like last year. Remember that this is year 2 of some sort of 3 year plan. The Sox will try to retool again this offseason. This exact time next year we will be having this same conversation as the Sox again hover around 500. Stuck in baseball hell just like the other team that Jerry owns is stuck in basketball hell.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 08:25 PM)
For the sake of the rumor mill, it would be nice if Dave would drop some team names and players just so we have something to nibble on while we wait for the deadline.

Agreed. It's kind of annoying. Why post that they're interesting in selling if you're not posting the specifics?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 08:27 PM)
Agreed. It's kind of annoying. Why post that they're interesting in selling if you're not posting the specifics?

Could of been told by source to keep specifics hush for a bit.

I'm having a gut feeling that Sox and Rangers are a perfect match for either Q or Abreu.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 06:26 PM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 1m1 minute ago

Rival evaluators trying to ascertain exactly how much the Rangers value Joey Gallo. Some sense a smokescreen, and think they'd move him.

Q or Abreu for Gallo+

I would pass on both, personally. Don't like Gallo's high K rate.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 08:12 PM)

Awesome news. I've never been in favor of a full-fledged rebuild in my entire life as a Sox fan, but I'm certain it's the right move at the moment given where the franchise stands. Still skeptical Jerry will approve a sell-off.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 08:27 PM)

Yeah, he's stating the obvious really. This is the time of year when all teams are getting calls about their players' availability.

I will give Dave credit though. He's been pretty accurate since getting burned over the winter by the Cespedes/Sox rumors. Should be interesting to see what names/teams Dave drops when the time comes.