What to do at the Trade Deadline

GGajewski18

Trade Deadline  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Sox do at the Trade Deadline?

• Buy
    • Sell
    • Stand Pat

Thing is ... Sox fans I believe are finally in favor of selling a ton of players. It's not like this method of hanging around .500 is accomplishing anything. The last two seasons have been PAINFULLY difficult to watch with the exception of April this year. If the Sox think April was no fluke, then get a fricking new manager to see if this tactic can get us a playoff berth. If not, SELL and see what happens. You can sell a ton of players and still keep the nucleus of Sale, Q, Rodon and Shields with Nate as the new closer. Rebuild the rest of the team. Keep Abreu and Eaton if you must. And of course Anderson.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 05:49 AM)
THIS

If we wait too long again to pull the trigger on trades I don't want any til the offseason. If the Sox wait and wait and make the third or fourth deal before the deadline, I sense they will be lousy trades again. I want us to steal some good players and do it now before other teams gobble up said prospects.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 09:05 PM)
I'm not keen on trading sale to an AL team. But the Sale deal will be unprecedented. It's not just gona be s 3 prospect deal. If I were trading him to Boston, I'd demand Bogaerts to start, then Moncada, Devers, Benintendi, and Swihart.

They would laugh at you. Sale is a Top 5 pitcher in all of baseball. But Bogaerts is a Top 10 player in all of baseball playing a prime position. That ia a write off w/o any prospects. Sale affects your team every 5th day. A stud offensive and defensive SS affect your team every day.

Even if the White Sox are 47-54 (or however the math works at the time the July 31st deadline comes), would anyone expect any major sell-off? They aren't trading Sale, Quintana or Robertson. Maybe a relief pitcher goes...Offensively, Eaton, Cabrera and Abreu are staying.

There just isn't much to trade unless they shock the world with a Sale trade and that is not going to happen.

They have to go on a major streak over the next 10-12 games, probably taking 8 or 9. Can't keep playing .500 type ball (and actually 21-32 since their hot streak to open the season) and expect to be in this race much longer. Hard to see them winning more than 82-84 though, and that's if everything does fall into place - just a bad offense, too many outs.

I really think you can move Robertson and Frazier and not really mess with the long term picture of this team. What about a guy like Cody Bellinger for Robertson? Dodgers strengthen their bullpen, have a little leverage in a Jensen negotiations this offseason, Burdi can replace Robertson in the pen (probably setting up for Jones), and Bellinger can move Jose to DH.

You could try moving Frazier to a team like the Mets too for someone like Brandon Nimmo. Good plate discipline, solid defender in CF, they are probably a little down on him right now.

Edited by Dunt

One thing that would make a trade of Quintana more palatable is if Rodon would pitch like a #3 instead if a 5. That would leave the sox with a 1,3 and Fulmer looking like he could be a 3 by next year - close enough to risk it as Q trade, if executed properly, would return a YOUNG impact bat the org so desperately needs.

But with Rodon throwing like a 5, you're "robbing Peter to pay Paul." Sale might be the one to trade instead as he'd return 2 impact guys. Eaton is another who could return some impact players- perhaps "one step back for 2 steps forward" to use another cliche. That would be selling high esp with his newfound defensive rep in RF.

Now I say this presuming the Sox aren't in total tear down mode.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 08:05 PM)
2016 fWAR:

Corey Seager 4.0

Mookie Betts 3.7

Jackie Bradley 3.4

Jose Quintana 2.9

Chris Sale 2.6

Why in the world would playoff contenders trade those hitters for Quintana or Sale? It could actually make their team worse.

Because pitching wins in the playoffs.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 06:53 AM)
I really think you can move Robertson and Frazier and not really mess with the long term picture of this team. What about a guy like Cody Bellinger for Robertson? Dodgers strengthen their bullpen, have a little leverage in a Jensen negotiations this offseason, Burdi can replace Robertson in the pen (probably setting up for Jones), and Bellinger can move Jose to DH.

You could try moving Frazier to a team like the Mets too for someone like Brandon Nimmo. Good plate discipline, solid defender in CF, they are probably a little down on him right now.

Same thought here. Minor sell. You don't need to do anything drastic. We are a .500 team, we're not going to really contend, but there are some nice pieces in place for the next couple of years. I think you can move Robertson at the VERY least and get something you can use this year or next. Don't like to trade the guy, he's done a respectful job, but he has value outside of what we can use. A lot can change with the playoff picture in 2 weeks though...we might not see a deal until the last day. I still believe the Sox can make a run THIS YEAR without Robertson. Jones is capable and the rest of the team is in tact. Spend the rest of the summer developing players for next year while still in a somewhat mindful Wild Card race (that will likely NOT happen for us--with or without Robertson).

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
Same thought here. Minor sell. You don't need to do anything drastic. We are a .500 team, we're not going to really contend, but there are some nice pieces in place for the next couple of years. I think you can move Robertson at the VERY least and get something you can use this year or next. Don't like to trade the guy, he's done a respectful job, but he has value outside of what we can use. A lot can change with the playoff picture in 2 weeks though...we might not see a deal until the last day. I still believe the Sox can make a run THIS YEAR without Robertson. Jones is capable and the rest of the team is in tact. Spend the rest of the summer developing players for next year while still in a somewhat mindful Wild Card race (that will likely NOT happen for us--with or without Robertson).

The Sox CANNOT and WILL NOT make a run this year with a team that is a cat whisker away from having the worst offense in the entire league (for the second straight year, I might add). Shockingly, the dumpster dive moves from last winter to upgrade the offense haven't panned out, and thus the team is essentially in the same boat offensively as it was this time last year. And that, ladies and gentleman, will not get this team to the playoffs...for the eighth straight year.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 10:48 PM)
I don't know who thinks it will happen, but I know that it should happen

You would trust the scouting dept. on this?

There is no such thing as a can't miss in this organization when it comes to everything but pitching. When it comes to prospects there isn't much that points to success under Buddy Bell.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)
The Sox CANNOT and WILL NOT make a run this year with a team that is a cat whisker away from having the worst offense in the entire league (for the second straight year, I might add). Shockingly, the dumpster dive moves from last winter to upgrade the offense haven't panned out, and thus the team is essentially in the same boat offensively as it was this time last year. And that, ladies and gentleman, will not get this team to the playoffs...for the eighth straight year.

Agree that the odds are very low! But you never know. Some of the teams in the same position might choose to sell and thus slip a little, some might crash like we did earlier this year, some could battle the injury plague, we could go on a very minor run and get back within a few games again. It's baseball and weird unexplained things happen ALL THE TIME! A minor sell would allow us to collect some value for certain players--but still keep us in the conversation as a wild card dark horse--and to this management group, that's what keeps fans coming to watch this team. It probably won't happen, but it could. Not the position you want to be in, but chemistry and winning sometimes come out of nowhere--in all sports. The most likely teams to win don't always come through.

I voted for standing Pat. I don't think the Sox are good enough to be buyers but I wouldn't hold an end of July fire sale either. I would be open to trading Melky/Robertson at the deadline but for the rest (Sale/Q/Abreu/Frazier/etc), I would wait for the off season to have more teams in on the bidding.

QUOTE (gosoxgo2005 @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
I really, really do not like Gallo. Swings and misses way, way too much. I know it's just me and he's highly regarded, but I hate hitters that are boom or bust.

Agreed. Jurickson Profar is the guy you target if talking to Texas about Q.

Lots of people are calling for dumping Frazier. But then what's the plan for 3B? Don't tell me Saladino, he can't hit enough to be an everyday player.

I hated all those years we had garbage at 3B and don't want to go back to them:

Connor Gillaspie

Gordon Beckham

Leury Garcia

Marcus Semien

Jeff Keppinger

Edwardo Escobar

Orlando Hudson

Brent Morel

Mark Teahen

Jason Nix

Josh Fields

Yes, Frazier's batting average is terrible and his OBP is lower than we expected. But he plays reliable defense, provides what little power this team has, and his BA may not always be crap (don't forget that he's adjusting to a new league). At least he's a real major league third baseman and not some half-assed, makeshift player at the position.

There has to be something viable to replace Frazier if we trade him.

Edited by Doc Edwards Shot

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
Or Lawrie at third and Saladino at second (for the rest of this season anyway).

Lawrie at 3B and Saladino at 2B would be a return to what I spoke about.

Lawrie isn't a real 3B to me. We need some offensive power from that position, not a punch & judy hitter.