What to do at the Trade Deadline

GGajewski18

Trade Deadline  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Sox do at the Trade Deadline?

• Buy
    • Sell
    • Stand Pat

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
Reports out there that the Dodgers are open to trading Puig for another corner OF. Eaton for Puig straight up? Or am I dreaming?

A Gold Glove caliber right fielder on pace for 5+ fWAR this year with 5 years of team control left on a severely below market deal for a guy playing at basically replacement level who is a prima donna with just 2 years left of team control? I usually back Hahn but if he made that he would and should be fired on the spot.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 10:43 PM)
Do the Bulls operate under a sweetheart lease deal, and have they since the United Center came into being, such that Reinsdorf enjoys the trappings of all of the revenues of that stadium but little to none of the expenses? Because that's what your hero Mr. Reinsdorf unscrupulously secured for himself with the deal with the state back in '88 for the Sox' stadium, and from which he's profited IMMENSELY over the past 25 years.

Massive revenue that comes from a Major League Baseball stadium, but no expense. Pure profit for 25 years now. That's the primary reason Reinsdorf is a billionaire today. You can choose to ignore that all you want, but that's the facts, Jack. It's as simple as that.

I guess you have no idea how simple math works. The White Sox would have to be worth something like 4 or 5 billion dollars for JR to be a billionaire from what he owns of the White Sox. ($4 billion X approximate JR ownership share of White Sox of 25% = $1 billion)

Whereas with the Bulls, he IS a billionaire just based on his ownership share of them.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:46 AM)
A Gold Glove caliber right fielder on pace for 5+ fWAR this year with 5 years of team control left on a severely below market deal for a guy playing at basically replacement level who is a prima donna with just 2 years left of team control? I usually back Hahn but if he made that he would and should be fired on the spot.

I deserve to be banned for a week for this suggestion, but I truly didn't realize Puig has been this awful!

The only thing we can do to get better in the near term is to take on more money. If we committed to competing next year, that has to be the plan. A trade of any of our useful roster pieces just creates another void. We desperately need a DH (I know we have Morneau but Robin is committed to not playing him half the time even though he hits lefties better than Avi (Robin is so smart)). We need another OF since Jackson is going to be out for a while. And we need a healthy rotation. We can probably fill our bullpen needs internally.

Puig and another outfielder....

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
I deserve to be banned for a week for this suggestion, but I truly didn't realize Puig has been this awful!

You wont be banned, but your punishment is to dig up the Puigmania thread and read it all.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 07:15 AM)
Has JR ever fired a GM other than Hawk Harrelson? Seriously, Hahn and KW aren't going anywhere until he passes away and someone else assumes the role as majority owner. So sad and morbid we have to wait for that to finally see changes within upper management and correct all of this mess.

It may be a technicality but Hawk wasn't fired, he resigned and then later JR apologized for putting him in that position in the first place.

Mark

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
I don't even know what Puigs value is? Would be an ok buy low candidate for this team since they don't have a ton of prospects to deal. Swap he and Avi lol. Nice change of scenery trade for both players

Avi has zero skill set he literally does nothing well.

How he is run out there daily is testament to how bad the White Sox evaluate talent. They thought he was a 30/30 guy and a CF. He cannot play defense and is the worst base runner I have ever seen.

Call Boston and say if you want Sale and no one off your major league roster I want Moncada, Devers, Benintendi, and Kopech. Two of those guys are at AA and two at high A. Odds are one or two flame out, two are ok, and one may be good. I want at least that for 3 plus years of Sale. Quintana would also take all four as he is not quite as good but has another year of control.

Robertson for best prospect offered.

Lawrie, Navarro, Avilla, for anything.

I doubt we're selling. This organization under Kenny doesn't sell. We've had many more worse teams than this one that they've propped up with a burnt out veteran or two. I guarantee it, no sell! We will continue to tread water for another couple of years until the front office changes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
I would not do that deal.

I think Texas would have to throw in another piece to make it balance, but the White Sox would immediately upgrade at middle infield and would potentially have a future 1B.

Profar is on the block, ATM.

We won't sell. Just not happening.

FO is looking at this going:

a) pitching - there are many pitching starved teams out there - that actually one of our stronger points. We are 5th in the AL in ERA, near the tops I believe for quality starts and we've done so with Latos and Danks and a bunch of others. Add in Shields we should be better. With all of them coming back next year the FO sees this as part of the "window of opportunity"

b)fielding - we have the 3rd fewest errors. We have pretty solid infield in terms of range. Not the best - can have improvement out of Lawrie and Abreu, but nonetheless very decent infield. Our OF? Probably a CF away (AJAX defensively at least) from being a very good OF. Hahn is probably thinking about acquiring someone who fits the mold of a 1-3 year rental player where we give up an Adams, etc. to acquire and bolster our OF both offesnviely and defensively.

c) batting --- AWFUL. We are near the bottom in almost every category. However, if I am our FO, they are probably thinking, "well Abreu will bounce back. And Frazier will start hitting doubles. And we can improve DH without Garcia"

Point being - the FO is going to put one more offseason in this trying to acquire bats. A DH, Catcher, CF.

My guess at least. And to be honest, I don't hate it, but don't half ass it either. If you are going to get a bat - go get one. Go get a Lucroy. Go get a solid ass DH. If they come back trying to tell me Avila is a good get or that Ajax is a solution as a starter? GTFO

If it doesn't work then you trade everything.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)
I think Texas would have to throw in another piece to make it balance, but the White Sox would immediately upgrade at middle infield and would potentially have a future 1B.

Profar is on the block, ATM.

Gallo is a younger version of Adam Dunn that K's even more than Dunn ever did. No thanks.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
Sure, but you have to make the playoffs first. I don't know if it helps to make your MLB roster worse in the process.

It's a give and take. how much worse can they make the offense and still get in the playoffs while acquiring the pitching to win in the playoffs.

They currently do not have the pitching.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
Gallo is a younger version of Adam Dunn that K's even more than Dunn ever did. No thanks.

Your view of Dunn is clouded by his time in Chicago. If Gallo draws Dunn comparison, that's a compliment. Adam Dunn was a combined 18 win player in Cincinnati.

I'm not sure he does, but I'd rather have a cost-controlled poor-man's version of Dunn than the bloated contract we had with the real Adam Dunn. Take Robertson off the table. I would do Quintana for both and a couple of prospects in a heartbeat.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
Your view of Dunn is clouded by his time in Chicago. If Gallo draws Dunn comparison, that's a compliment. Adam Dunn was a combined 18 win player in Cincinnati.

I'm not sure he does, but I'd rather have a cost-controlled poor-man's version of Dunn than the bloated contract we had with the real Adam Dunn. Take Robertson off the table. I would do Quintana for both and a couple of prospects in a heartbeat.

This.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 10:43 PM)
Do the Bulls operate under a sweetheart lease deal, and have they since the United Center came into being, such that Reinsdorf enjoys the trappings of all of the revenues of that stadium but little to none of the expenses? Because that's what your hero Mr. Reinsdorf unscrupulously secured for himself with the deal with the state back in '88 for the Sox' stadium, and from which he's profited IMMENSELY over the past 25 years.

Massive revenue that comes from a Major League Baseball stadium, but no expense. Pure profit for 25 years now. That's the primary reason Reinsdorf is a billionaire today. You can choose to ignore that all you want, but that's the facts, Jack. It's as simple as that.

The Sox also don't get any revenue from other events at the stadium such as concerts. Teams that own the stadium generate a great deal of revenue from these activities.

JR is a "billionaire" due to his property businesses currently and from long before he bought in to the Sox as a minority shareholder. He hasn't owned much of the Sox until very recently and it still isn't known how much of it he owns.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)

Who would the other prospects be? There is no way that I'd trade Q for just Profar and Gallo. He has way more value than that IMO.

At this point, I'd trade Robertson to the highest bidder.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
We won't sell. Just not happening.

FO is looking at this going:

a) pitching - there are many pitching starved teams out there - that actually one of our stronger points. We are 5th in the AL in ERA, near the tops I believe for quality starts and we've done so with Latos and Danks and a bunch of others. Add in Shields we should be better. With all of them coming back next year the FO sees this as part of the "window of opportunity"

b)fielding - we have the 3rd fewest errors. We have pretty solid infield in terms of range. Not the best - can have improvement out of Lawrie and Abreu, but nonetheless very decent infield. Our OF? Probably a CF away (AJAX defensively at least) from being a very good OF. Hahn is probably thinking about acquiring someone who fits the mold of a 1-3 year rental player where we give up an Adams, etc. to acquire and bolster our OF both offesnviely and defensively.

c) batting --- AWFUL. We are near the bottom in almost every category. However, if I am our FO, they are probably thinking, "well Abreu will bounce back. And Frazier will start hitting doubles. And we can improve DH without Garcia"

Point being - the FO is going to put one more offseason in this trying to acquire bats. A DH, Catcher, CF.

My guess at least. And to be honest, I don't hate it, but don't half ass it either. If you are going to get a bat - go get one. Go get a Lucroy. Go get a solid ass DH. If they come back trying to tell me Avila is a good get or that Ajax is a solution as a starter? GTFO

If it doesn't work then you trade everything.

This is probably the likely outcome - it would be surprising, even after another mediocre season, for them to blow it up and start fresh.

Their starting rotation is locked up and should be set (barring injury) for next season - at least the top 4, and if the 5th spot is an open competition, that's not an issue.

The defense has improved, but offensively, as you mentioned, there are holes throughout the lineup.

It's a shame that the offensive pipeline from the minors is non-existent with the possible exception of Tim Anderson.