It's over for 2016

VAfan

Losing the last series before the break to Atlanta, including a Sale loss when we scored 8 runs, was bad enough. But losing 3 in Anaheim after the break by scoring 1 run in 3 games is really the death knell. There is no hope for this version of the White Sox to compete for anything in 2016. No hope for playoffs. No hope for even a .500 record.

Glad I am not in Rick Hahn shoes. He has no good options.

Edited by VAfan

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Per ESPN, no team with a sub-.500 record in mid-July has ever won another game.

I know you are trying to be the reasonable voice, but what team currently ahead of us in the standards would you refuse to swap rosters with?

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
Why not BLOW IT UP???!!! We've never tried it, can't be worse than the last few years of this crap.

I'd like to start with the coaching staff first. For this organization there is always a new "worse".

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
I know you are trying to be the reasonable voice, but what team currently ahead of us in the standards would you refuse to swap rosters with?

Good point.

The fact is, there's a point where the reasonable voice tells you "this is what this team is", and at this point "what this team is" is NOT a playoff team.

While I would like to sell some assets (Frazier) to get something for the future. If we do go that route I feel it will be in the off season. Unless they bring back Ventura which wouldn't shock me, having the new manager have a small say wouldn't be the worst idea. Good thing I just got the Show for 15 and can attempt to build a winning team on there.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
Losing the last series before the break to Atlanta, including a Sale loss when we scored 8 runs, was bad enough. But losing 3 in Anaheim after the break by scoring 1 run in 3 games is really the death knell. There is no hope for this version of the White Sox to compete for anything in 2016. No hope for playoffs. No hope for even a .500 record.

Glad I am not in Rick Hahn shoes. He has no good options.

They might finish a game or two over .500 but you're right this team isn't going anywhere in October but to a golf course.

Mark

Is anybody really that surprised? After that free-fall in June it was pretty clear we have some fundamental, critical problems with this team and after a sleight rebound--just when you think maybe they'll really, really turn it around--they reverted to form. Losing form.

It's a 100% lose/lose situation because while I'm 100% behind the whole BIAU (blow it all up) idea, with current management I don't trust them and they'd probably just end up selling off the few good players we have for a crappy return.

I see no end in sight as long as JR continues to own the team and continues to employ KW. Hahn I don't know enough about or if he even has any autonomy.

The fish rots from the head down, as the saying goes, so as tempting as it is to do a BIAU, I would almost hold off on that until we have management in place who has demonstrated some competence.

I feel bad for Sales though. How much it must suck to be such an elite player yet stuck on a go-nowhere team.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
Is anybody really that surprised? After that free-fall in June it was pretty clear we have some fundamental, critical problems with this team and after a sleight rebound--just when you think maybe they'll really, really turn it around--they reverted to form. Losing form.

It's a 100% lose/lose situation because while I'm 100% behind the whole BIAU (blow it all up) idea, with current management I don't trust them and they'd probably just end up selling off the few good players we have for a crappy return.

I see no end in sight as long as JR continues to own the team and continues to employ KW. Hahn I don't know enough about or if he even has any autonomy.

The fish rots from the head down, as the saying goes, so as tempting as it is to do a BIAU, I would almost hold off on that until we have management in place who has demonstrated some competence.

I feel bad for Sales though. How much it must suck to be such an elite player yet stuck on a go-nowhere team.

Typically I'd agree, but when the guys you're trading net you other teams' very top prospects I think it becomes a little easier. It's the difference between drafting in the Top 3 in the NBA draft, and 25-30. Yeah you might pick wrong between Brandon Ingram and Ben Simmons, but you're already picking between the top top guys. Same goes here if you do sell Q/Sale.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)

I just think that there's a lot of baseball left, and that if a few of our guys hit like they always have, and a few of THEIR guys cool down, the long-term outlook of the franchise may look substantially different.

I think doom and gloom belongs in September, especially when you're around .500 in July.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)
I just think that there's a lot of baseball left, and that if a few of our guys hit like they always have, and a few of THEIR guys cool down, the long-term outlook of the franchise may look substantially different.

I think doom and gloom belongs in September, especially when you're around .500 in July.

I appreciate your effort in attempting to sprinkle magic fairy dust over the proceedings, but I can't help but point out that you are ignoring the fact that the Sox, since the 23-10 start, have gone 22-36 and the 2nd worst record in the AL since early May.. not to mention a near historic feat, not to be duplicated in 50 years, of almost going scoreless in 4 straight games..

I would say, given those two factoids alone, a fan slumping into doom and gloom in July, could be understandable…. I would also say that it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that there are some serious defects in the FO and on the field, that would indicate a turnaround being unlikely

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
I appreciate your effort in attempting to sprinkle magic fairy dust over the proceedings, but I can't help but point out that you are ignoring the fact that the Sox, since the 23-10 start, have gone 22-36 and the 2nd worst record in the AL since early May.. not to mention a near historic feat, not to be duplicated in 50 years, of almost going scoreless in 4 straight games..

I would say, given those two factoids alone, a fan slumping into doom and gloom in July, could be understandable…. I would also say that it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that there are some serious defects in the FO and on the field, that would indicate a turnaround being unlikely

From my point of view, it's more like this: I predicted a roughly .500 team in our preseason thread, and today I'm looking at a roughly .500 team. Any who thought the Sox were going to win by sheer force of raw talent alone were lying to themselves, but this is a team who still has a shot at a playoff berth if it simply plays as well as it's capable. The odds are against us (as they are against practically every team) but not overwhelmingly against us. That was ALWAYS the outlook. It's okay to think that it was a garbage plan all along, but this is what it's been the whole time.

I don't like the recent streak either, but I'd rather turn on the next game and hope for a win while it's still summer and I can still do it. Plenty of cold, dark, miserable months ahead to brood in.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
From my point of view, it's more like this: I predicted a roughly .500 team in our preseason thread, and today I'm looking at a roughly .500 team. Any who thought the Sox were going to win by sheer force of raw talent alone were lying to themselves, but this is a team who still has a shot at a playoff berth if it simply plays as well as it's capable. The odds are against us (as they are against practically every team) but not overwhelmingly against us. That was ALWAYS the outlook. It's okay to think that it was a garbage plan all along, but this is what it's been the whole time.

I don't like the recent streak either, but I'd rather turn on the next game and hope for a win while it's still summer and I can still do it. Plenty of cold, dark, miserable months ahead to brood in.

Nothing wrong with being an optimist.

My post was more just my personal take at this point, that it's over for the Sox for me this year. I don't live in Chicago, so it's hard to catch games, and relatively easy for me to tune the team out. As I've written in a couple of posts, I'm as disappointed in the "stars" of this team as in anything else. The guys who are supposed to carry a team have been underwhelming, with the exception of Sale and Quintana and a couple of others. Maybe a better manager would wake them up, maybe not.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 02:49 PM)
Nothing wrong with being an optimist.

My post was more just my personal take at this point, that it's over for the Sox for me this year. I don't live in Chicago, so it's hard to catch games, and relatively easy for me to tune the team out. As I've written in a couple of posts, I'm as disappointed in the "stars" of this team as in anything else. The guys who are supposed to carry a team have been underwhelming, with the exception of Sale and Quintana and a couple of others. Maybe a better manager would wake them up, maybe not.

Yeah, it's been frustrating. No doubt.