White sox may be reconsidering their stance of being non sellers

Whisox05

If you're serious about rebuilding, then don't trade any of the pitching. Trade all of the hitters except Morneau & Saladino as they are the only players who know how to work the pitch count. Get back hitting prospects who have demonstrated the ability to work the pitch count.

Edited by Insp

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:06 PM)
In all honesty, this is interesting right now? Only thing I make sure to watch right now on a consistent basis is Anderson.

I'm watching for the young guys Anderson, Fulmer, Rodon. Eaton, Sale and Q. Abreu too if he wasn't having a down season.

There's just no excitement for me because I know there's nothing ahead in the short term.

QUOTE (Insp @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 12:20 AM)
If you're serious about rebuilding, then don't trade any of the pitching. Trade all of the hitters except Morneau & Saladino as they are the only players who know how to work the pitch count. Get back hitting prospects who have demonstrated the ability to work the pitch count.

If We're serious about rebuilding, we have to trade our most valuable assets -- starting pitching. We're not going to receive the highest value otherwise

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:16 PM)
Nailed it. It's a problem of holes and timing. If you don't trade Sale, Q, their contracts will end before the parts you bring in from the rest of the fire sale reach the majors.

The problem would still be patchwork fixes. That's why there will be a rebuild IMO. They know this "3 year plan BS" is just that BS. I think the Cubs rebuilding and now flourishing has some affect on it.

QUOTE (Insp @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 10:20 PM)

1.) Morneau is a 35 year old vet who isn't a long term answer and has yet to prove he's worth a roster spot

2.) See my post above about holes. We all love holes but not these kinds of holes.

QUOTE (Insp @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:20 PM)

Problem is our best assets are our top two stud SPs. They'll bring back the best value and speed up the process.

Morneau is like 35 and has little to no value. I'm sure Saladino doesn't have much value to other teams as well.

Edited by SouthSideSale

One good thing that hasn't been mentioned regarding an asset of rebuilding: Soxtalk would be blowing up with rumors / discussion. I'm in. Bring it on.

Edited by hi8is

I'm curious what kind of value Eaton has? s***s and giggles mainly. He's one of the guys I'd keep. (Anderson, Eaton, Fulmer, Rodon) Lawrie is another guy we could keep in the end as well. Still young and would lock down 2nd or go to 3rd if we got Moncada to play 2nd.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 12:31 AM)
The problem would still be patchwork fixes. That's why there will be a rebuild IMO. They know this "3 year plan BS" is just that BS. I think the Cubs rebuilding and now flourishing has some affect on it.

The Sox are f***ed if they look to the Cubs as an example of what they can do.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 12:44 AM)
I'm curious what kind of value Eaton has? s***s and giggles mainly. He's one of the guys I'd keep. (Anderson, Eaton, Fulmer, Rodon) Lawrie is another guy we could keep in the end as well. Still young and would lock down 2nd or go to 3rd if we got Moncada to play 2nd.

Lawrie is exactly what is wrong with this team.

QUOTE (Insp @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 12:20 AM)

I definitely think building around Morneau is the way to go about this.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 07:02 AM)
Exactly like Lester, Zobrist, Montero, Lackey, Ross, etc.

Well they spent around the young guys that would stick when it was time to compete. Still kinda loaded in the minors.

Edit: mostly referring to the rebuild. They did a great job of adding young talent.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 07:05 AM)
Well they spent around the young guys that would stick when it was time to compete. Still kinda loaded in the minors.

That I'll give you, they got some good players down on the farm. I just kinda meant they have made some really good trades (besides the Rizzo gift from Hoyer) and their veteran signings have been working so far.

I think any successful team needs to have a decent mix like this, If Sox trade off they absolutely cannot strike out on these deals for Q and Sale, as this is basically their 1 current chance to start over and get a huge head start.

They mess this up we might be looking at KC/Houston pre-2015 doing continual rebuilds every 2-3 years.

Do we really think if we unload a bunch of players for prospects, that the prospects will flourish in our system--a system where position players go to die?! Again...I'd love a good rebuild, but I just have serious doubts that our organization would know what to do with all the talent coming back. I think it would be a shock to the way things work. Quite honestly, with our management philosophy, prospects are only good if you can trade them for MLB pieces you need. I'm not sure we have the people to develop 6 of the top 50 prospects in MiLB. Even if they are MLB ready and start all the way up with us, we have a coaching staff who has worked with a vet-heavy group of guys as long as they have been here. Still think if you infuse your minor (and major) league system with some of the top prospects in the game, you better bring in the people who are known for developing these players or they will wind up to be busts.

Anyone watch the movie Miracle? The US vs the Soviets in the Miracle on Ice game? Remember when the Russian coach didn't pull his goalie for the extra attacker when they were down a goal late in the game? US Coach, Herb Brooks leaned over and told his assistant coach that the reason why is because they have never been TRAILING a game late enough to know to pull their goalie so he didn't know to do that? THAT is how I view a rebuild for our team! WE would miss so many obvious developmental opportunities simply because our organization doesn't develop young talent, we trade it.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 07:14 AM)
Do we really think if we unload a bunch of players for prospects, that the prospects will flourish in our system--a system where position players go to die?! Again...I'd love a good rebuild, but I just have serious doubts that our organization would know what to do with all the talent coming back. I think it would be a shock to the way things work. Quite honestly, with our management philosophy, prospects are only good if you can trade them for MLB pieces you need. I'm not sure we have the people to develop 6 of the top 50 prospects in MiLB. Even if they are MLB ready and start all the way up with us, we have a coaching staff who has worked with a vet-heavy group of guys as long as they have been here. Still think if you infuse your minor (and major) league system with some of the top prospects in the game, you better bring in the people who are known for developing these players or they will wind up to be busts.

Anyone watch the movie Miracle? The US vs the Soviets in the Miracle on Ice game? Remember when the Russian coach didn't pull his goalie for the extra attacker when they were down a goal late in the game? US Coach, Herb Brooks leaned over and told his assistant coach that the reason why is because they have never been TRAILING a game late enough to know to pull their goalie so he didn't know to do that? THAT is how I view a rebuild for our team! WE would miss so many obvious developmental opportunities simply because our organization doesn't develop young talent, we trade it.

I'm a little skeptical of it personally but I just want them to pick a lane and stay in it for a few years. No half ass quick rebuild like 2013 and if you're going to compete, be willing to spend more. I think they will try to compete next year though as the third year of the "3 year plan" and if next year looks more like this year, they'll make some serious changes.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 07:14 AM)

I think everyone is skeptical of it but at the same time we just don't know either. We do know whatever the hell they've been doing for the past decade now hasn't been working though.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 06:10 AM)
Lawrie is exactly what is wrong with this team.

What exactly is wrong with a 26 year old 2B who can hit you 50+ extra base hits, play solid defense, swipe a few bags and has about a league average bat overall?