White sox may be reconsidering their stance of being non sellers

Whisox05

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)
What exactly is wrong with a 26 year old 2B who can hit you 50+ extra base hits, play solid defense, swipe a few bags and has about a league average bat overall?

He likes red bull?

In all honesty, he's not great or anything but he's far from this teams biggest problem as well. If we can get something of value for him then great, see you later but if not then it's not going to hurt to hang onto him either.

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly is wrong with a 26 year old 2B who can hit you 50+ extra base hits, play solid defense, swipe a few bags and has about a league average bat overall?

I'm guessing he's referring to his approach at the plate or something.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 07:20 AM)
I think everyone is skeptical of it but at the same time we just don't know either. We do know whatever the hell they've been doing for the past decade now hasn't been working though.

I do know one thing, most fans want this rebuild/ new direction. They are tired of being 'mired in mediocrity' as Hahn mentioned. Personally, I feel the KW/Hahn duo should have no business running the rebuild. They are the ones to put the organization in this position, why should us fans be patient with them for another 4-5 seasons?

I want a rebuild. I just do NOT want Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams running it. So my question for Soxtalk Nation is: Is there any chance in Hell, JR actually fires all three at seasons end? (Hahn/KW/Robin)

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 07:02 AM)
Exactly like Lester, Zobrist, Montero, Lackey, Ross, etc.

Without those guys, the Cubs are still favorites in the NL Central. I don't know why we as a fanbase struggle with that.

Heck, don't look at the Cubs. Look at the Astros. They have amazing young talent and are incredibly exciting. There are some lean years, obviously, but if I could go back to 2008 and replace every season since then with struggle in order to rebuild this organization the right way, I would do it.

It's not the Cubs, it's the way of baseball now.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 07:30 AM)
I do know one thing, most fans want this rebuild/ new direction. They are tired of being 'mired in mediocrity' as Hahn mentioned. Personally, I feel the KW/Hahn duo should have no business running the rebuild. They are the ones to put the organization in this position, why should us fans be patient with them for another 4-5 seasons?

I want a rebuild. I just do NOT want Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams running it. So my question for Soxtalk Nation is: Is there any chance in Hell, JR actually fires all three at seasons end? (Hahn/KW/Robin)

No. Robin's contract is up, and while I believe he won't be brought back, i'm really not sure what to think wrt the Sox anymore.

Hahn and KW are probably safe. Part of their fate is likely bound up in how the trade deadline goes.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 12:16 AM)
I'll take another stab at this.

Q to Boston for 2B Moncada, OF Benintendi, C Swihart and 3B Devers. (Bad enough seeing Q on the Red Sox but I'd hate to have to see those assholes get Sale. Plus I'd wana send him to the NL)

Sale, Robertson to LAD for CF Pederson, LHP Urias, RHP De Leon, C Barnes, and RHP Yadier Alvarez.

(Pure stab at this deal. No clue what CWS turned down and want. Now WSD said short of Trout in return lol. So I brought back a potential superstar CF in Joc, potential frontline LHP in Urias who has only scratched the surface, De Leon another potential frontline starter, Barnes a catching prospect which we need badly along with Collins and Alvarez who can hit 98 a power arm prospect).

Frazier to NYM for RHP Marcos Molina, OF Brandon Nimmo, and LHP Max Wotell (I just have this feeling he's going to the Mets. Wright is hurt again and this makes a ton of sense).

Brett Lawrie to MIA for 2B Avery Romero and 1B Josh Naylor (Lawrie's value intrigues me. Hard to find. Spot to a contender. Can play third and is still very young. Flashed some really nice defense at times).

Jose Abreu and Nate Jones to HOU for 1B Reed, RHP Francis Martes, and 2B Tony Kemp

Melky Cabrera, James Shields and Chris Beck to TEX for 3B Joey Gallo (with a G not a C :lol: sorry had to because I saw a my cousin vinny reference the other night) and RHP Ariel Jurado

So that's mine I made the other night on MLB the show. So all in all I think it's pretty good. I'm sure someone will find issues but this is the fun part. Critiquing our ideas. Wasn't sure on some values and returns on guys. That really has to be in the ball park of the Sale trade if it ever happened. Now this season we'd finish awful and be awful for at least another season while guys developed and came up and went through struggles. Hopefully around 2019 we'd start to compete. I really want to be patient and not rush guys during a rebuild. Take lumps and losses and continue to draft high and well which I think we've been doing fairly well.

Then with some luck well competing around 2019 and have a stocked up farm system to add to the talented young roster via trade. Then hoepfeully this is a destination free agents we'll see as a future contender like Cubs have done.

Imagine if guys developed in our rotation and was something like Rodon, Urias, De Leon, Fulmer, and Adams. Then there's other guys like Guerrero, Martes, Molina, Hansen, Stephens, Burdi. Mix and match how you want with this whole group.

Then a lineup of something like this:

SS Anderson

RF Eaton

CF Pederson

1B/DH Collins

2B Moncada

1B/DH Reed

3B Gallo

C Swihart or Barnes

LF Benintendi

Mix and match the lineup how you like. I think Anderson will be a middle of the order bat once he matures. Good pop and lively bat with awesome speed. For now I'll keep him lead off and like Eaton behind him.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 12:16 AM)
I'll take another stab at this.

Q to Boston for 2B Moncada, OF Benintendi, C Swihart and 3B Devers. (Bad enough seeing Q on the Red Sox but I'd hate to have to see those assholes get Sale. Plus I'd wana send him to the NL)

Sale, Robertson to LAD for CF Pederson, LHP Urias, RHP De Leon, C Barnes, and RHP Yadier Alvarez.

(Pure stab at this deal. No clue what CWS turned down and want. Now WSD said short of Trout in return lol. So I brought back a potential superstar CF in Joc, potential frontline LHP in Urias who has only scratched the surface, De Leon another potential frontline starter, Barnes a catching prospect which we need badly along with Collins and Alvarez who can hit 98 a power arm prospect).

Frazier to NYM for RHP Marcos Molina, OF Brandon Nimmo, and LHP Max Wotell (I just have this feeling he's going to the Mets. Wright is hurt again and this makes a ton of sense).

Brett Lawrie to MIA for 2B Avery Romero and 1B Josh Naylor (Lawrie's value intrigues me. Hard to find. Spot to a contender. Can play third and is still very young. Flashed some really nice defense at times).

Jose Abreu and Nate Jones to HOU for 1B Reed, RHP Francis Martes, and 2B Tony Kemp

Melky Cabrera, James Shields and Chris Beck to TEX for 3B Joey Gallo (with a G not a C :lol: sorry had to because I saw a my cousin vinny reference the other night) and RHP Ariel Jurado

So that's mine I made the other night on MLB the show. So all in all I think it's pretty good. I'm sure someone will find issues but this is the fun part. Critiquing our ideas. Wasn't sure on some values and returns on guys. That really has to be in the ball park of the Sale trade if it ever happened. Now this season we'd finish awful and be awful for at least another season while guys developed and came up and went through struggles. Hopefully around 2019 we'd start to compete. I really want to be patient and not rush guys during a rebuild. Take lumps and losses and continue to draft high and well which I think we've been doing fairly well.

Then with some luck well competing around 2019 and have a stocked up farm system to add to the talented young roster via trade. Then hoepfeully this is a destination free agents we'll see as a future contender like Cubs have done.

Imagine if guys developed in our rotation and was something like Rodon, Urias, De Leon, Fulmer, and Adams. Then there's other guys like Guerrero, Martes, Molina, Hansen, Stephens, Burdi. Mix and match how you want with this whole group.

Then a lineup of something like this:

SS Anderson

RF Eaton

CF Pederson

1B/DH Collins

2B Moncada

1B/DH Reed

3B Gallo

C Swihart or Barnes

LF Benintendi

Mix and match the lineup how you like. I think Anderson will be a middle of the order bat once he matures. Good pop and lively bat with awesome speed. For now I'll keep him lead off and like Eaton behind him.

Sorry but try another stab at it. Swihart is no longer a catcher, before he went on long term disabled list. His catching was a liability so they sent him back to AAA to learn left field. He did play a few games in left at Fenway before getting hurt.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 06:47 AM)
Sorry but try another stab at it. Swihart is no longer a catcher, before he went on long term disabled list. His catching was a liability so they sent him back to AAA to learn left field. He did play a few games in left at Fenway before getting hurt.

Uh ok. I think it's fine if Swihart is the only problem.

Yeah, he's pretty low on the list of problems this team has. As far as I'm concerned, if the Sox rebuild (full blown or not), you keep Lawrie. He's young enough that he should improve a bit, and he'd be some good stability along with Anderson in the middle infield.

Probably worth reminding people that Lawrie only has a year of control left.

Edit: if you decide to go for a rebuild and hold onto him and trade Frazier, I guess he could be your 3B next year (if they are still rebuilding that is).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 06:35 AM)
Hanley just said that Schwarber, Baez, and Almora is too much for Sale.

Then i turned it off

Heard that too. Can't stand listening to the Score anymore, all the talking heads there have gotten ridiculous.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 07:40 AM)
No. Robin's contract is up, and while I believe he won't be brought back, i'm really not sure what to think wrt the Sox anymore.

Hahn and KW are probably safe. Part of their fate is likely bound up in how the trade deadline goes.

The problem with KW/Hahn running the rebuild, they would probably sign Robin to an extension at seasons end. That's how pathetic this organization is right now. You have tremendous assets who can bring back incredible building blocks, but let someone else make those trades. Hahn/KW's time should be over.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 08:02 AM)
The problem with KW/Hahn running the rebuild, they would probably sign Robin to an extension at seasons end. That's how pathetic this organization is right now. You have tremendous assets who can bring back incredible building blocks, but let someone else make those trades. Hahn/KW's time should be over.

I don't understand how there isn't any smoke to Robin being fired. There was some rumors a month ago when the Sox were possibly still in it, now they are sellers and nothing?

I honestly think that he will resign at some point. Fits his narrative of being lukewarm about the job in the first place and the Sox being too loyal to can someone.

Lawrie's an okay player, but there's nothing special about him; if some team really wants him, which I doubt, trade him. Saladino could deliver what he delivers, if not more. Jake Peter's looking excellent in AAA. Not really hurting at 2b.

Sox need to move on this. There are only a few teams that need each position. The good news is that the Sox have something for everyone.

Starters, relievers, infielders, and outfielders. No catchers thought, sorry.

But they can't do their usual screwing around, taking days to make decisions...and they have to eat salary.

Right now, Robertson, Jones and Duke should be front and center. Even if they don't want to completely tear down, take advantage of bullpen premiums available this time of year and only this time of year. Jones is a big sell high opportunity.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 08:02 AM)

There is no way in hell they sign Robin to an extension.

Very Interesting to see if anything happens by mid-afternoon today. WSD on twitter yesterday said he expected we will know a lot more by mid-afternoon today. Just wondering if he expects a deal to be done around then due to players involved for the timeline or if he thinks he will be allowed to say what he knows from his source. either way I will be on twitter and in this thread all day refreshing haha

whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 15h15 hours ago

I do think we'll know a lot more tomorrow by mid-afternoon

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
I don't understand how there isn't any smoke to Robin being fired. There was some rumors a month ago when the Sox were possibly still in it, now they are sellers and nothing?

I honestly think that he will resign at some point. Fits his narrative of being lukewarm about the job in the first place and the Sox being too loyal to can someone.

It would nice if they fired Robin now and let Renteria be the interim. But now we're on the verge of the Cubs series week and the trade deadline. There's a lot going on, and it would add to the distractions. Maybe in a couple weeks, they just let Robin know he won't be renewed and he chooses to resign...but probably not.

The bigger issue with the coaching staff is that it has to be a full gutting after this season, and that means Don Cooper has to leave the organization no matter what. No half measures.

Jim Bowden

ESPN Senior Writer

Dodgers have been extremely aggressive pursuing the games best starting pitchers.... available or not...willing to offer huge prospect packages...they appear committed to having a much different approach to this deadline than they did last year when their moves brought in the likes of Mat Latos, Alex Wood, Bronson Arroyo and Jim Johnson among others. This year they're chasing the Archers, Sales, Quintana's and every other top pitcher. They will be a team to watch over next 10 days

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 06:34 AM)
Very Interesting to see if anything happens by mid-afternoon today. WSD on twitter yesterday said he expected we will know a lot more by mid-afternoon today. Just wondering if he expects a deal to be done around then due to players involved for the timeline or if he thinks he will be allowed to say what he knows from his source. either way I will be on twitter and in this thread all day refreshing haha

whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 15h15 hours ago

I do think we'll know a lot more tomorrow by mid-afternoon

Don't know if WSD is media savvy or just a guy with a friend in a position of know but that's called a teaser. Keeps you tuning in , just strings you along and if he doesn't say anything by mid afternoon today he gives you a new date. But you will keep tuning in .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
Don't know if WSD is media savvy or just a guy with a friend in a position of know but that's called a teaser. Keeps you tuning in , just strings you along and if he doesn't say anything by mid afternoon today he gives you a new date. But you will keep tuning in .

I totally agree but at the same time he has nailed everything to a tee and sometimes called it a week (or a couple days in advance) like the Shields trade and Anderson call-up... for now I have to give him the benefit of the doubt

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
Lawrie's an okay player, but there's nothing special about him; if some team really wants him, which I doubt, trade him. Saladino could deliver what he delivers, if not more. Jake Peter's looking excellent in AAA. Not really hurting at 2b.

Sox need to move on this. There are only a few teams that need each position. The good news is that the Sox have something for everyone.

Starters, relievers, infielders, and outfielders. No catchers thought, sorry.

But they can't do their usual screwing around, taking days to make decisions...and they have to eat salary.

Right now, Robertson, Jones and Duke should be front and center. Even if they don't want to completely tear down, take advantage of bullpen premiums available this time of year and only this time of year. Jones is a big sell high opportunity.

Yep, Robertson, Jones, Duke and add Frazier, Abreu. I'm fine with Lawrie but if a team makes a nice offer then wave good-bye. If Rodon can get his health and his pitching back on track for the remainder of the season he could make for a nice alternative to trading Q or Sale this winter. Teams would line up to trade for 5 years of control over Rodon and his cheap salary (for now) which just opens up his trade market to even more teams during the off season, a bidding war.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
Jim Bowden

ESPN Senior Writer

Dodgers have been extremely aggressive pursuing the games best starting pitchers.... available or not...willing to offer huge prospect packages...they appear committed to having a much different approach to this deadline than they did last year when their moves brought in the likes of Mat Latos, Alex Wood, Bronson Arroyo and Jim Johnson among others. This year they're chasing the Archers, Sales, Quintana's and every other top pitcher. They will be a team to watch over next 10 days

Urias needs to be headlining a package for Q or Sale.

Then a lot more, but Urias for sure.

Just read an article on MSN saying Dodgers are taking a different approach this season and willing to trade top prospects for front line guys. Article specifically mentions Sale and Quintana.

Edit: actually can't find it now but when I do I will re-post.

2nd edit: posted above my post.

Edited by soxfan2014