White sox may be reconsidering their stance of being non sellers

Whisox05

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
There are three untouchables in a full scale fire sale.

Anderson, Rodon, Fulmer.

Sale could bring back an unprecedented haul.

Q should bring back something slightly less than the Shelby Miller debacle.

Gonzalez and Shields could probably bring in some decent fliers.

Abreu's name would probably carry some value.

Frazier's average is low, but he's producing runs. Bring some value.

Eaton should bring some good value back.

Melky should bring a decent prospect in.

Robertson/Duke/Jones/Jennings can all bring in a decent prospect.

Lawrie might.

Just know, everyone here will be in misery for at least 3 years, regardless of return. It's probably the wise move at this point but still.

Anderson, Rodon, Fulmer (now in the rotation) and Saladino would be the only watchable parts of it. You'd have to hope that the 2016 draft class are all fast risers to minimize the misery.

Why would Q bring back less than Shelby f***ing Miller? Not only has Q provided 10 wins more over the last 4 years (since they both became full-time starters), but Miller has less control. It would be asinine to accept anything close to that deal. Again, the model for a Q trade is the Cole Hamels trade. 3 top 100 prospects and major league pieces. Anything less is a joke offer.

Edited by Dunt

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
So who is giving the Sox this haul everyone believes is coming for Sale and Quintana? Are the Dodgers giving up Seager? BoSox giving up Bogarts? Cubs giving up Schwarber?

I'm sick of being stuck in the middle, but there is a right way to sell and a wrong way to sell.

I don't trust this front office to know the difference

Boston, Dodgers, Rangers. Any one of those teams could knock the White Sox FO's socks off if they wanted.

So who is giving the Sox this haul everyone believes is coming for Sale and Quintana? Are the Dodgers giving up Seager? BoSox giving up Bogarts? Cubs giving up Schwarber?

I'm sick of being stuck in the middle, but there is a right way to sell and a wrong way to sell.

I don't think anyone knows but at least there's some options out there.

The main problem is we can't really trust this front office to do anything at this point. No matter what, I'd like to at least try a new model instead of the one we already know keeps us mediocre.

Edited by Rowand44

The #Whitesox expected to keep rotation intact, but everyone else, except SS Tim Anderson, are in play at trade deadline

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/756173009606545409

I dont understand this. Don't want to trade any rotation pieces but can gut the rest of the team and have no offense or bullpen but least the Sox have starting pitching. Really hoping the sox arent that stupid. Cant imagine getting elite talent for the rest of the team.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
I don't think anyone knows but at least there's some options out there.

The main problem is we can't really trust this front office to do anything at this point. No matter what, I'd like to at least try a new model instead of the one we already know keeps us mediocre.

Right. I'm a fan of the anarchy route, but I understand if Rick and Kenny still can't draft, none of this matters.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
The #Whitesox expected to keep rotation intact, but everyone else, except SS Tim Anderson, are in play at trade deadline

I dont understand this. Don't want to trade any rotation pieces but can gut the rest of the team and have no offense or bullpen but least the Sox have starting pitching. Really hoping the sox arent that stupid. Cant imagine getting elite talent for the rest of the team.

That's the problem I have as well. There isn't a situation where the White Sox suddenly have elite offensive prospects while keeping their current pitching prospects.

Wasn't Seager available when they drafted Hawkins? Oops.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
Why would Q bring back less than Shelby f***ing Miller? Not only has Q provided 10 wins more over the last 4 years (since they both became full-time starters), but Miller has less control. It would be asinine to accept anything close to that deal. Again, the model for a Q trade is the Cole Hamels trade. 3 top 100 prospects and major league pieces. Anything less is a joke offer.

Because the Shelby Miller trade was a significant overpay.

Like, that package would have been hard to see a team dealing for Q, but something close would be acceptable.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
Sure, they have the pieces. Do they want to do it? You're asking for 1-2 major league ready pieces, plus more to get Sale. And that's an understandable ask. But do those playoff teams want to part with pieces like that, in the middle of the season?

I don't think it'll be that easy, which is why I'm not yet shouting sell.

My only experience is really with the Rangers, so I'll look at them. They need at least one more starter and one more reliever. They are loaded with high level talent. It's possible Hahn could offer Q, Robertson for some of the Rangers' top prospects and an MLB ready guy like JP.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)

I don't think theres' a situation where the team would EVER come out and say that Sale/Q are open to being traded. Even if they traded them, it would probably be from the above posture.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
I don't think theres' a situation where the team would EVER come out and say that Sale/Q are open to being traded. Even if they traded them, it would probably be from the above posture.

Agreed. Announcing you are putting your 1 and 2 starters on the market is not good for business and serves only to decrease their value.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
There are three untouchables in a full scale fire sale.

Anderson, Rodon, Fulmer.

Sale could bring back an unprecedented haul.

Q should bring back something slightly less than the Shelby Miller debacle.

Gonzalez and Shields could probably bring in some decent fliers.

Abreu's name would probably carry some value.

Frazier's average is low, but he's producing runs. Bring some value.

Eaton should bring some good value back.

Melky should bring a decent prospect in.

Robertson/Duke/Jones/Jennings can all bring in a decent prospect.

Lawrie might.

Just know, everyone here will be in misery for at least 3 years, regardless of return. It's probably the wise move at this point but still.

Anderson, Rodon, Fulmer (now in the rotation) and Saladino would be the only watchable parts of it. You'd have to hope that the 2016 draft class are all fast risers to minimize the misery.

Why are we selling ourselves short? Every damn year there are lopsided trades and of course we're never a part of it. Quintana was always the superior pitcher to Shelby Miller, also. If Hahn would have inquired about him with Arizona who knows the result. This is what I fear will happen with Rich Hill. We'll make excuses of course like people did with Miller, but I'd believe yet again Hahn just didnt bother picking up the phone.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
If I'm running things, I put an open for business sign on my door, and explore options. My gut tells me no one is going to give me the right package for Sale or Q, so I turn my focus on trading Fraizer-Robertson-Melky and see what I can do.

In the off-season and at the Winter Meetings is where I really try and sell Sale and Q. The problem is of course in reality, the White Sox front office believes the fan base needs to hear they are "in it to win it" every year, yet we all know that isn't even close to being true.

Probably the best overall approach.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
Why are we selling ourselves short? Every damn year there are lopsided trades and of course we're never a part of it. Quintana was always the superior pitcher to Shelby Miller, also. If Hahn would have inquired about him with Arizona who knows the result. This is what I fear will happen with Rich Hill. We'll make excuses of course like people did with Miller, but I'd believe yet again Hahn just didnt bother picking up the phone.

I've been the biggest Q backer on this site, calm down.

It's because the Shelby Miller package was such an overpay, not because Q isn't as good as Miller.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
If I'm running things, I put an open for business sign on my foot, and explore options. My gut tells me no one is going to give me the right package for Sale or Q, so I turn my focus on trading Fraizer-Robertson-Melky and see what I can do.

In the off-season and at the Winter Meetings is where I really try and sell Sale and Q. The problem is of course in reality, the White Sox front office believes the fan base needs to hear they are "in it to win it" every year, yet we all know that isn't even close to being true.

It's not a bad idea to take advantage of a team's position now. Yes, in the offseason there are more suitors; but at this point those in need of starting pitching are known and a trade can provide immediate relief.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
It's not a bad idea to take advantage of a team's position now. Yes, in the offseason there are more suitors; but at this point those in need of starting pitching are known and a trade can provide immediate relief.

Agreed. Teams on the fringe right now taste playoff blood and do crazy things. So while there are less teams looking at the deadline, the packages now can be crazy good.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
I've been the biggest Q backer on this site, calm down.

It's because the Shelby Miller package was such an overpay, not because Q isn't as good as Miller.

I understood what you were saying, and what I feel is a similar type of overpay is exactly what should be expected for Quintana.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)
Agreed. Teams on the fringe right now taste playoff blood and do crazy things.

Dodgers won't be in the position they are now when the offseason comes around. We need to take advantage of that

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)

Off season may have more suitors but the quality of what you can get back during the season is far greater IMO. You can use the leverage of teams being overly anxious of getting that one more piece. In the off season teams are more pateint and methodical so what they are going to offer you is way more conservative then what you will see right now.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:47 PM)
is this to much to excpect for q?

White Sox get:

Odor / Profar

Mazara

Gallo

Rangers get:

Q

Robertson

Duke

It's not too much to expect. I would be interested to know what the Rangers actually think of Mazara. He started off red hot but has considerably cooled. I would say , if we're sending two relievers, I would add Tate to our side.