White sox may be reconsidering their stance of being non sellers

Whisox05

OK...let's be realistic...you can't just trade everyone. Everyone who is saying Rodon, Anderson and Fulmer are no's...everyone else is gone. You know how long it would take to work out a trade for everyone!?!? You can't just keep 3 young, unproven players and get rid of everyone else. No one does that and we aren't THAT bad. Some of these are obvious but often overlooked by posters here! Here are some things to consider in a rebuild:

1. You have to keep a vet. For the stability of an organization, you need some sort of constant--a Frank Thomas/Paul Konerko-type player that exemplifies an organization, deals with the new players and serves as an ambassador for the team if you will. What vet defines White Sox baseball and its future? Possibilities include Frazier, Sale, Q, Abreu, Eaton. Personally, my vote would be Sale because of his value/contract.

2. You can't think you're rebuilding without changing managers. A true re-build needs a new philosophy FIRST--then the search begins for baseball players who fit that philosophy.

3. Don't just replace someone to replace them. Figure out what players you currently have that fit that new philosophy and lock them up. Nothing is worse than trading Adam Eaton in a fire sale, then bringing in a new manager who says "we need an Adam Eaton-type player."

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
I'm at the point where I'm ready to move everyone on the Major League roster except Anderson, Rodon and Fulmer. I know that's not going to happen but I'm all in on blowing the whole damn thing up and trying to completely rebuild with what you acquire with Sale, Q, Eaton, etc.

I would hold Rodon as well, but not because I am opposed to trading him, just because he isn't yet worth what he should be.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
OK...let's be realistic...you can't just trade everyone. Everyone who is saying Rodon, Anderson and Fulmer are no's...everyone else is gone. You know how long it would take to work out a trade for everyone!?!? You can't just keep 3 young, unproven players and get rid of everyone else. No one does that and we aren't THAT bad. Some of these are obvious but often overlooked by posters here! Here are some things to consider in a rebuild:

1. You have to keep a vet. For the stability of an organization, you need some sort of constant--a Frank Thomas/Paul Konerko-type player that exemplifies an organization, deals with the new players and serves as an ambassador for the team if you will. What vet defines White Sox baseball and its future? Possibilities include Frazier, Sale, Q, Abreu, Eaton. Personally, my vote would be Sale because of his value/contract.

2. You can't think you're rebuilding without changing managers. A true re-build needs a new philosophy FIRST--then the search begins for baseball players who fit that philosophy.

3. Don't just replace someone to replace them. Figure out what players you currently have that fit that new philosophy and lock them up. Nothing is worse than trading Adam Eaton in a fire sale, then bringing in a new manager who says "we need an Adam Eaton-type player."

Yeah I'd probably keep Eaton, Abreu, Sale and Quintana around for now as well unless we get blown away with an offer. They could be moved at a later point if need be since they are signed for a while.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)

A vet on the roster next season could be a signing to fill in the roster, but not necessarily anyone on this team.

Yes and no. I agree the White Sox should dump Robin, but if you're rebuilding the manager matters very little because the major league roster is meaningless in a true rebuild.

Nah. Get me pieces for Adam Eaton. Rehab the farm system and draft Eaton's replacement.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
I would hold Rodon as well, but not because I am opposed to trading him, just because he isn't yet worth what he should be.

Bingo. Wait til he develops into a front of the rotation arm. And he's a Boras client so trading him in a couple years when he still has 2-3 years of control would probably be max value.

#WhiteSox sound open-minded. Stance is same as it is every season - will listen to all ideas and discuss. Still unlikely they would move SP.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/756185215274459136

#WhiteSox previously indicated this is 2nd year of at least three-year window. Would be abrupt and uncharacteristic shift if they sold big.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/756185236162093056

Asked one rival exec about possibility of #WhiteSox moving Quintana: His response: "People have asked for years and they refuse."

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/756185729361911808

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)

If you're rebuilding, I don't touch anyone Rodon or younger. There's just no need. They don't have sufficient value and could last in the organization long enough to see the "future good White Sox"

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
#WhiteSox sound open-minded. Stance is same as it is every season - will listen to all ideas and discuss. Still unlikely they would move SP.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/756185215274459136

#WhiteSox previously indicated this is 2nd year of at least three-year window. Would be abrupt and uncharacteristic shift if they sold big.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/756185236162093056

Asked one rival exec about possibility of #WhiteSox moving Quintana: His response: "People have asked for years and they refuse."

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/756185729361911808

A self respecting owner would call out the FO for acting this way. Too bad we really don't have that. There isn't a plan and if there were, this team is too bad for it to be working.

Edited by Deadpool

I am at the point to that I dont care who they trade as long as they have a clear and concise plan. They have been on the fence for how long now? Have a plan that builds long term health of the organization and stick with it.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
If I'm running things, I put an open for business sign on my door, and explore options. My gut tells me no one is going to give me the right package for Sale or Q, so I turn my focus on trading Fraizer-Robertson-Melky and see what I can do.

In the off-season and at the Winter Meetings is where I really try and sell Sale and Q. The problem is of course in reality, the White Sox front office believes the fan base needs to hear they are "in it to win it" every year, yet we all know that isn't even close to being true.

This is the approach I go with. I also would dangle Abreu but it might be in the clubs best interest to see if he has a stronger second half and than consider moving him (or keeping him because he can still hit). I do think the focus should be on the three guys you mentioned, plus Abreu. I also would look at Miguel Gonzalez and Shields and obviously dangle Jones and Duke. I don't think anyone is going to blow us away for Sale / Q (or give what it would take for Sox to move him) so they wait until the off-season to potentially move the additional pieces (or maybe decide they are going to wait another year and continue to develop guys from within and build around the rotation).

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
Another source says the #WhiteSox were offered a "king's ransom" for Sale in the last 48 hours and responded with a flat "no."

I'm intrigued as to what that is.

I bet it was the Red Sox....I dont think Texas would do that.

All the butt hurt people on Twitter right now trashing the Sox for not trading Sale is amusing

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
Another source says the #WhiteSox were offered a "king's ransom" for Sale in the last 48 hours and responded with a flat "no."

This makes me want to vomit. Hopefully they are just slow-playing them to get more.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
This makes me want to vomit. Hopefully they are just slow-playing them to get more.

Let's just think logically here... what signal would that send to Jerry? "Hey sorry man...but your going to be dead by the time we compete"?

Exactly what he wants!

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
I am at the point to that I dont care who they trade as long as they have a clear and concise plan. They have been on the fence for how long now? Have a plan that builds long term health of the organization and stick with it.

This is how I feel.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 01:07 PM)
Let's just think logically here... what signal would that send to Jerry? "Hey sorry man...but your going to be dead by the time we compete"?

Exactly what he wants!

At this rate Jerry will be dead by the time the Sox actually compete anyway.

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
The #Whitesox expected to keep rotation intact, but everyone else, except SS Tim Anderson, are in play at trade deadline

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/756173009606545409

I dont understand this. Don't want to trade any rotation pieces but can gut the rest of the team and have no offense or bullpen but least the Sox have starting pitching. Really hoping the sox arent that stupid. Cant imagine getting elite talent for the rest of the team.

This is frustrating. If this is their plan they need a new front office. They have not shown ability to find depth for pitching or offensive talent consistently.