7/21/16 Tigers @ Sox

Condor13

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought that factoid that Griffey is the first #1 draft pick to go to the HoF was fascinating. Seems to undermine the idea that there are really big payoffs for a full-on tanking approach. Note that I am not saying the draft is a 100% crap shoot and that higher picks aren't better. But one must admit it makes far more sense to undertake such a strategy in the NBA, where 19 number 1s will be Hall of Famers starting in 1958 (Elgin Baylor) through 2003 (LeBron James, making an assumption here). After Griffey, the only surefire HoF caliber player is Alex Rodriguez who clearly won't get in and then you have the fringey Chipper Jones who may make it in. No obvious HoFers after that, though Bryce Harper is on a promising path and David Price is haivng a great career.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 10:59 PM)
Think we are in lose for draft spot time now. Just don't get swept by the Cubs

Same. Didn't wana say it because some will say oh here we go again with that crap. That's where we're at. We'll win games but I want that top 10 pick. Well easily have it if we really do move guys.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 11:27 PM)
Thought that factoid that Griffey is the first #1 draft pick to go to the HoF was fascinating. Seems to undermine the idea that there are really big payoffs for a full-on tanking approach. Note that I am not saying the draft is a 100% crap shoot and that higher picks aren't better. But one must admit it makes far more sense to undertake such a strategy in the NBA, where 19 number 1s will be Hall of Famers starting in 1958 (Elgin Baylor) through 2003 (LeBron James, making an assumption here). After Griffey, the only surefire HoF caliber player is Alex Rodriguez who clearly won't get in and then you have the fringey Chipper Jones who may make it in. No obvious HoFers after that, though Bryce Harper is on a promising path and David Price is haivng a great career.

I don't care to get the number one pick while tanking. Look how 2014 went. 3rd pick and got Rodon.

I believe Correa was like the 3rd pick in his draft. Trout was like 25. We could go on and on.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 01:59 AM)
I know the Sox lost but it has always seemed unfair in a game like this that the visitors got 7 innings to score their runs while the Sox got only 6. I wouldn't call a rained out game like this a home field advantage.

Score reverts back to the end of the 6th.

One run off mike pelfrey....Todd's philosophy is not working

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 06:06 AM)
Score reverts back to the end of the 6th.

One run off mike pelfrey....Todd's philosophy is not working

Doesn't matter at this point, but the fact this guy still has a job is mind boggling. Even if your players suck, our hitters approach to the plate has been dismal under him with no improvement.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 22, 2016 -> 07:11 AM)
A 2-1 game in the 7th should be a game that can be suspended if the teams are playing the next day. Rules need to be looked at again.

Anyway, if the Sox lose tonight, they go 23-10, then 23-40.

How often does swings like that happen?

I mean, I know regression happens but this seems like extra crispy regression.

A 2-1 game in the 7th should be a game that can be suspended if the teams are playing the next day. Rules need to be looked at again.

Agreed. It's a damn shame to lose a game that way.

It has become a staple of the White Sox for the last few years.

Don't just lose games, lose them in extended streaks that end a season in a matter of weeks. This season went from great to in the can over the Texas, Yankee, Houston series and then the Royals sweep via the bullpen ended it. The sereis win for a few weeks was neat but in reality they never swept anyone and improved theor record somewhat, it did not do much.

In regard to hitting/fielding it seems to me that the White Sox have become prone to players becoming uncharacteristically or even historically bad. Abreu can no longer field his position, Dunn was benched to avoid having one of the worst seasons of all time, LaRoche last year, the utility guys they seem to sign and then have to eat he contract. Beckham fell apart, Abreu is a singles hitters. Avi Garcia is one of the most useless players I have every seen and is far and away the dumbest.

This organization needs a good house cleaning.

Steven A Smith was on the radio a week or so back talking about the Bulls and Sox and I think he hit he nail on the head when he said the front office of both teams are very comfortable and that is what is preached from the top down. Thibs was let go because he did not tow the line. This seems to be right, stay alfoat don't suck too bad and everything will be fine.