It's that time of year again...2016 edition

Really getting tired of making these threads. This is at least the 3rd or 4th year now.....rooting for losses to gain a better draft position. The magic draft spot is #10 or better, to have a protected pick. I believe we currently sit at #12.

I'll hold off until after the trading deadline to start posting daily standings, just in case something crazy happens and we rattle off 8 straight wins and Hahn decides to add a bat for whatever reason. But the thread is now primed and ready...

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all aboard this 'lose for better draft position' thread and would like to add a rooting interest in 'lose to ensure we remain sellers' . A win streak could be the excuse for Hahn to hold off selling. We know the White Sox are perfect at doing this. We'll go something like 8 of 10 defeating Tigers, Cubs and Twinsp leading into the trade deadline and be around 3 gb of wildcard spot. It's just pure White Sox

Edited by Flash Tizzle

It's such hit and miss there in that mid-range, though.

One year, Anderson, the previous, Hawkins.

Look at Corey Ray's statline, Kyle Lewis' terrible knee injury (see Jared Mitchell)....Kyle Tucker and Daz Cameron with the Astros, etc. Nothing is close to certain.

Imo, we probably need to trade our way to contention with younger position prospects, pilfering the best already developed advanced bats with the proper blend of athleticism and plate discipline.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (MEANS @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 07:43 AM)
and I don't know why we have to explain it to you every August....root for the young guys to develop, hope everyone stays healthy and lose lose lose.

Except the White Sox don't do a great job of identifying future stars in their first round draft picks?

And before you say 'it's all a crap shoot' then why willfully lose for a low-percentage crap shoot?

Since 1990, how many 1st rounders from this list not named Chris Sale turned out to be bonafide major league talent?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft/history/_/team/chw

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
Except the White Sox don't do a great job of identifying future stars in their first round draft picks?

And before you say 'it's all a crap shoot' then why willfully lose for a low-percentage crap shoot?

Since 1990, how many 1st rounders from this list not named Chris Sale turned out to be bonafide major league talent?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft/history/_/team/chw

Gordon Beckham.

And besides, was Nick Hostetler running those drafts? Don't pretend nothing has changed in the draft room.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
Gordon Beckham.

And besides, was Nick Hostetler running those drafts? Don't pretend nothing has changed in the draft room.

I know I've said it a couple times but now that we've seen two drafts from Hostetler and seeing some of Paddy's signings come over, those two can stay for now.

Buddy Bell on the other hand needs to get the hell out.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
a .678 career OPS is a bonafide major league talent? huh.

What's your definition of "bonafide"?? This is his 8th season in the major leagues. Clearly he's enough of a major leaguer to last this long.

And Carlos Rodon should be added to that list as well, actually. He's been just fine so far as a 23 year old major leaguer.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
Ok, so, in other words, we should deliberately lose in the hopes of landing....Gordon Beckham, right?

No, s***. The chips will fall where they may, and I can guarantee the Sox aren't trying to lose.

How about we deliberately try to win and make this thing interesting instead.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)
What's your definition of "bonafide"?? This is his 8th season in the major leagues. Clearly he's enough of a major leaguer to last this long.

And Carlos Rodon should be added to that list as well, actually. He's been just fine so far as a 23 year old major leaguer.

And Anderson.

Fulmer has also (been rushed) reached the big leagues.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
And Anderson.

Fulmer has also (been rushed) reached the big leagues.

Too small of sample size for me to include either one of them yet. Only reason I include Rodon already is because I don't forsee him ever being sent back down again. I think he's a lock. Anderson and Fulmer still could, IMO.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
If that's how you choose to rationalize it in your head, then yes.

Gordon Beckham's CAREER WAR with the Sox was 7.6

What's the average career WAR for a first round pick from the White Sox?

How many games do you lose to get that pick to produce that WAR?

If we make decisions based on expected value, which is an extremely rational way of looking at things, it seems like we are rooting to lose 5 games now to hit the once in a lifetime lottery for a superstar or....get those 5 wins back incrementally?

It would be one thing if top draft picks made a HUGE impact on games, but unlike, say, basketball where a top draft pick can completely change your team, it seems like a once in a lifetime thing for a baseball team to get that kind of pick, and even then it's more about luck than a particular draft position.

I suppose I'm saying I can't come up with a reason to lose games to improve upon a draft position that seems to have an arbitrary impact on the team as a whole.