White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
It would take at least 5 top prospects, and two of those would have to be no doubter MLB impact players.

Is that even enough?

Cubs just gave up a top 25 and top 75 prospect for .5 years of Chapman.

If the Sox trade Sale now (3.5 years of control) as opposed to say a year from now (with 2.5 years), when he'd still yield a huge package (assuming he's healthy, etc.), are they really getting extra value? Seems like there might be some diminishing returns built in there.

Too bad we can't trade a year of Sale to 3-4 different teams....

Edited by bighurt574

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
That reminds me of tweets from college recruits that are like "can't decide what I want" and people are like OH NO HES DECOMMITTING and he's talking about a drive thru.

Or during late 2014 Samardzija trade rumors, when Tim Anderson tweeted sad emojis, and everyone here assumed he had been traded to Oakland :lol:

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
Clubs talking with Red Sox say they're still trying to do "something big." But for what high-end starter? Chris Sale? Sonny Gray? Mystery P?

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/757592639252238336

A 5.49 ERA pitcher is a "high-end" starter? That's more than just a down year for someone I'd consider high-end.

I've been saying for a while guys, the perfect deal is Sale and Robertson to the Red Sox for Rodriguez, Swihart, Moncada, Benintendi, Devers, and Kopech.

Red Sox get 6 years of control between the 2. A top tier closer and a top 5 pitcher in the game.

I think Kopech/Devers/E. Rodriguez could easily be attained from a Sale/Robertson combo. But then I think we get 2 out of 3 of Betts/Moncada/Benintendi. I feel as if they'll do everything possible to not give us one of the 3 B's, but maybe they'll cave if we get some good leverage.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 10:37 AM)
Is that even enough?

Cubs just gave up a top 25 and top 75 prospect for .5 years of Chapman.

If the Sox trade Sale now (3.5 years of control) as opposed to say a year from now (with 2.5 years), when he'd still yield a huge package (assuming he's healthy, etc.), are they really getting extra value? Seems like there might be some diminishing returns built in there.

Too bad we can't trade a year of Sale to 3-4 different teams....

2 months plus post-season plus hgher probability of keeping him in 2017 if he fits in well

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
I think Kopech/Devers/E. Rodriguez could easily be attained from a Sale/Robertson combo. But then I think we get 2 out of 3 of Betts/Moncada/Benintendi. I feel as if they'll do everything possible to not give us one of the 3 B's, but maybe they'll cave if we get some good leverage.

Read my post on the bottom of page 27. That is the exact deal of what it could cost Boston to get Sale and Robertson. Guaranteed.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
Travis Shaw/Moncada/Sandoval

You are the ultimate downer on this board and I think it's pretty clear at this point you don't like the White Sox.

I understand not liking the Sox organization, but your constant underrating of Sox players and love fest towards other teams or players is laughable at best and old schtick at worst.

Chris Sale is a HoF pitcher. The Sox aren't taking Pablo f***ing Sandoval back in a deal.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
You are the ultimate downer on this board and I think it's pretty clear at this point you don't like the White Sox.

I understand not liking the Sox organization, but your constant underrating of Sox players and love fest towards other teams or players is laughable at best and old schtick at worst.

Chris Sale is a HoF pitcher. The Sox aren't taking Pablo f***ing Sandoval back in a deal.

I think Caufield was answering who plays 3B for the Red Sox.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)

Um....he was answering the question of "who do the Red Sox have at third?"

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 12:47 PM)
I think Caufield was answering who plays 3B for the Red Sox.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
Um....he was answering the question of "who do the Red Sox have at third?"

Quoted the wrong post.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
Beane....

They will never in a million years give up Betts, Bradley, Jr., or Bogaerts in season.

Perhaps they'll throw in Castillo and eat the majority of his salary...or Sandoval...leaving the Sox free to trade Frazier as well.

Doubt they'd have much interest in Sandoval, though.

If the Red Sox say they need to include Castillo or Sandoval in a trade for Chris Sale, the Red Sox might as well pony up their Top 10 or just hang up.

I've been saying for a while guys, the perfect deal is Sale and Robertson to the Red Sox for Rodriguez, Swihart, Moncada, Benintendi, Devers, and Kopech.

Red Sox get 6 years of control between the 2. A top tier closer and a top 5 pitcher in the game.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
2 months plus post-season plus hgher probability of keeping him in 2017 if he fits in well

Yeah, I get that, and whoever gets Sale is getting up to 4 post-season runs out of him plus the possibility of longer.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)

Sold

If I am being completely honest, I'd like to trade Sale over Q mainly for the reason that if you look at their WAR since 2013 they are right in line. Also, not that it has or will happen but people have always made a deal about his mechanics. And finally, and the most important reason, the perception. When people put together supposed dream deals for Sale they are including 3-5 top prospects. When they do the same deal with Q, they include 2 prospects, and then some low level guys.

If not doing a total rebuild I think there is a lot to be said about trading Sale. Let's just use for example the Sale to Boston example. Let's say it includes Moncada, Benintendi, Henry Owens, +??

Now trade Robertson, maybe Lawrie and a few other pieces and I think this team isn't much worse day 1 of the trade with the ability to get better.

You'd have Moncada and Anderson up the middle. Re-sign Frazier. Abreu at 1B. OF would be Melky, Benintendi, Eaton. It really doesn't sound terrible. Some mix of power and speed. More versatile. Your rotation still has Q, Rodon, Fulmer which isn't ideal but not awful.

You have Collins coming up as DH or C by 2018. I mean, not awful at all.

That also being said, I wouldn't mind the total tear down either. I am just going through this scenario because I think trading just 2-3 pieces could really make this team a ton better offensively.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
If I am being completely honest, I'd like to trade Sale over Q mainly for the reason that if you look at their WAR since 2013 they are right in line. Also, not that it has or will happen but people have always made a deal about his mechanics. And finally, and the most important reason, the perception. When people put together supposed dream deals for Sale they are including 3-5 top prospects. When they do the same deal with Q, they include 2 prospects, and then some low level guys.

If not doing a total rebuild I think there is a lot to be said about trading Sale. Let's just use for example the Sale to Boston example. Let's say it includes Moncada, Benintendi, Henry Owens, +??

Now trade Robertson, maybe Lawrie and a few other pieces and I think this team isn't much worse day 1 of the trade with the ability to get better.

You'd have Moncada and Anderson up the middle. Re-sign Frazier. Abreu at 1B. OF would be Melky, Benintendi, Eaton. It really doesn't sound terrible. Some mix of power and speed. More versatile. Your rotation still has Q, Rodon, Fulmer which isn't ideal but not awful.

You have Collins coming up as DH or C by 2018. I mean, not awful at all.

That also being said, I wouldn't mind the total tear down either. I am just going through this scenario because I think trading just 2-3 pieces could really make this team a ton better offensively.

I agree the scorched earth, six-plus year rebuild isn't the only way to go. There's a lot of middle ground between that and the patchwork one-year-at-a-time "go for it" approach the Sox have been trying repeatedly. Trading Sale for this specific Red Sox package would do nearly 100% of the heavy lifting for a new, young core that could compete within a year or two and be together for a while.

Edited by Buehrlesque

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-makes-cl...&soc_trk=ma

4. Chris Sale even more difficult. When the White Sox started listening to offers on Sale – this was before he gutted their throwback jerseys – they did so because closed-mindedness in a seller’s market is for fools only. You shop. You listen. You move forward if a proper offer presents itself.

Here’s what makes Sale particularly attractive to buyers: His price isn’t going down, not for a good long while. Should a team pick up both of his club options, nearly 3½ years remain on Sale’s contract at a total of about $43 million. It is one of the game’s friendliest contracts. The White Sox, then, are going to ask for a giant haul of prospects whether it’s this summer, this winter, next summer, next winter or even the summer and winter of 2018. Trade value doesn’t wobble much this far out from free agency, and yet players like Sale are so infrequently traded in their prime that the deal White Sox GM Rick Hahn is seeking makes sense.

If the Red Sox want Sale, the deal starts with Yoan Moncada or Andrew Benintendi (whom the White Sox wanted in last year’s draft before the Red Sox sniped him a pick before). If the Dodgers want Sale, the deal starts with Julio Urias. If the Rangers want Sale, the deal starts with Nomar Mazara. If the Astros want Sale, the deal starts with Alex Bregman. Most teams don’t have someone to build a trade around.

Maybe one of them says OK, then tosses in three or four other top young players to boot. The fact that Sale is the only bona fide dude available – the impact arm so many contenders want and need – puts Hahn in a position of power. Granted, it’s one Sale himself lessened through the jersey cutting as well as his outburst against White Sox president Kenny Williams during spring training.

No matter how great Sale is – and he’s great – the incidents have lent credence to the inmates-running-the-asylum vibe that emanates from the White Sox. The incident didn’t hurt his trade value in that anyone cares what he did to a jersey. It’s the sort of thing that forces Hahn and the rest of the White Sox to think, though, whether they really do want to keep Sale or instead do a little bait and switch with …

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
Quoted the wrong post.

If the Red Sox say they need to include Castillo or Sandoval in a trade for Chris Sale, the Red Sox might as well pony up their Top 10 or just hang up.

That was in addition to Moncada and Benitendi as one of the additional pieces, fwiw.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
That was in addition to Moncada and Benitendi as one of the additional pieces, fwiw.

I stand completely corrected and you have my apologies.

Granted, I still don't think the Red Sox can ever convince Hahn to take Castillo or Pablo.