White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
No chance we'd get both Moncada and Benintendi, but either is perfectly reasonable as a centerpiece if the other pieces are strong. Benintendi is going to be an absolute monster. The contact rate is good, the plate discipline is good, and I've seen the power with my own eyes -- he played our team the year he was drafted, and hit two homers, one of which is the only ball I've ever seen clear the fence, the road, and land in the water outside the Staten Island Ferry. The pop is legit.

IMO, considering the trade value we've seen for the likes of Shelby Miller in the off-season, recently Pomeranz and Chapman, Sale and Quintana BOTH should net those two. Now maybe you could argue for Quintana, after those two monster prospects, there may be a drop off of prospects to finish the deal. Whereas, trading Sale you'll land all of their top 4-5 prospects not just 2-3. What I mean is say:

Sale equals Moncada, Benintendi, Devers, Kopech and Swihart. Maybe you wouldn't get Devers and Kopech as well so would have to settle for one or the other and Swihart. I don't know man. I wish I was in the know so I could figure out what each might net from Boston. Just my two cents if that makes sense. Couldn't explain it that well lol sorry.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
IMO, considering the trade value we've seen for the likes of Shelby Miller in the off-season, recently Pomeranz and Chapman, Sale and Quintana BOTH should net those two. Now maybe you could argue for Quintana, after those two monster prospects, there may be a drop off of prospects to finish the deal. Whereas, trading Sale you'll land all of their top 4-5 prospects not just 2-3. What I mean is say:

Sale equals Moncada, Benintendi, Devers, Kopech and Swihart. Maybe you wouldn't get Devers and Kopech as well so would have to settle for one or the other and Swihart. I don't know man. I wish I was in the know so I could figure out what each might net from Boston. Just my two cents if that makes sense. Couldn't explain it that well lol sorry.

I mean, I certainly hope you're right. I just don't think Boston would take that kind of risk. That package, in current value, might be the largest collection of prospect talent to ever be traded.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
I mean, I certainly hope you're right. I just don't think Boston would take that kind of risk. That package, in current value, might be the largest collection of prospect talent to ever be traded.

And has an ace with a vastly under market contract with 3.5 or 3.5 years of control ever been traded?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
No chance we'd get both Moncada and Benintendi, but either is perfectly reasonable as a centerpiece if the other pieces are strong. Benintendi is going to be an absolute monster. The contact rate is good, the plate discipline is good, and I've seen the power with my own eyes -- he played our team the year he was drafted, and hit two homers, one of which is the only ball I've ever seen clear the fence, the road, and land in the water outside the Staten Island Ferry. The pop is legit.

If you aren't getting both, a deal shouldn't get done. At worst you have Chris Sale until next decade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:16 PM)
The Boston package isn't possible until the off seaosn.

I didn't realize they had told us the package yet. I'm surprised to hear that Moncada + Benintendi and whatever else isn't on the table "in-season." If by some miracle you get a Betts, then so be it, wait until the off-season.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:16 PM)
I would disagree. They need to get one stud pitcher in the deal for Sale. I would not like the plan of spending 300 million on two pitchers.

If that is your requirement, you've ruled out Boston and they're a moot point then because they don't have the pitching. Your best option has a PED suspension under his belt, injuries and is 3 years away from the majors I'd say. Not to mention his innings restriction upon arrival. Hasn't shown the upside of a Sale/Q.

I personally don't think you need an arm for Sale. I think you need to get as much value as you can since he has the most selling power. Whoever that comes from. Hitting should trump filling the void of Sale. This is rebuilding, not re-tooling and putting the same roster together with different names.

I do think you need to acquire an arm or three in the process. I think some good arms will be available for less (see Pomeranz).

With Boston you have potential to net 2 of the top 6/9 prospects in baseball, and more, it sounds like. I'll target a front-line pitcher in another deal.

This is all based on the assumption the Sox are open for business and plan on rebuilding the whole thing. If you're keeping pieces around, then obviously I would maximize targeting those holes. SP may be one of them in that case. If you're flipping the whole thing - you get as much value as you can on your big chips. You isolate on the lesser ones.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
Given the SP market and that Betts/Bradley/Bogaerts are likely off the table, if Sale doesn't net you both Moncada and Benintendi, then we might as well just keep him.

Exactly. It's just not worth it. Better off to wait til the offseason to see if you could pry one of the Bs and top prospects.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
Given the SP market and that Betts/Bradley/Bogaerts are likely off the table, if Sale doesn't net you both Moncada and Benintendi, then we might as well just keep him.

There is where I'm at too. Tell Boston to f*** off if they can't do both. I hope they lose and their starters get hammered for the rest of this week.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 05:03 PM)

Yup, Shelby Miller, Pomeranz and Chapman have made those two monstrous in terms of value.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)

I hope I'm certainly right because the Cubs gave up 4 prospects to rent Chapman. Now we'll see if he signs an extension soon or not.

For the Sox benefit, I hope Bostons rotation continues to struggle to force their hand. I say Boston in particular because I believe they have the most ammo and best shot at getting either Sale or Quintana.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:13 PM)
I didn't realize they had told us the package yet. I'm surprised to hear that Moncada + Benintendi and whatever else isn't on the table "in-season." If by some miracle you get a Betts, then so be it, wait until the off-season.

If that is your requirement, you've ruled out Boston and they're a moot point then because they don't have the pitching. Your best option has a PED suspension under his belt, injuries and is 3 years away from the majors I'd say. Not to mention his innings restriction upon arrival. Hasn't shown the upside of a Sale/Q.

I personally don't think you need an arm for Sale. I think you need to get as much value as you can since he has the most selling power. Whoever that comes from. Hitting should trump filling the void of Sale. This is rebuilding, not re-tooling and putting the same roster together with different names.

I do think you need to acquire an arm or three in the process. I think some good arms will be available for less (see Pomeranz).

With Boston you have potential to net 2 of the top 6/9 prospects in baseball, and more, it sounds like. I'll target a front-line pitcher in another deal.

This is all based on the assumption the Sox are open for business and plan on rebuilding the whole thing. If you're keeping pieces around, then obviously I would maximize targeting those holes. SP may be one of them in that case. If you're flipping the whole thing - you get as much value as you can on your big chips. You isolate on the lesser ones.

The post you responded to had a list of players coming from Boston. One of those players was Groome, who was just drafted. He can't be a part of any trade, even as a PTBNL, until after the end of the World Series.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
Media is talking about it picking up over the weekend. I'm curious if it'll pickup around Qs next start.

Yup. I just hope we start hearing specific and credible WS rumors.

Squints ‏@yeagersaurus @barstoolWSD @Kurkjian_ESPN basicallyjust confirmed your reports on Bogaerts/Betts as the centerpiece for any Sale move on AM1000

whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 10m10 minutes ago Chicago, IL

whitesoxdave Retweeted Squints

I wasn't lying when I said this and again, it's why it won't happen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 05:28 PM)
Squints ‏@yeagersaurus @barstoolWSD @Kurkjian_ESPN basicallyjust confirmed your reports on Bogaerts/Betts as the centerpiece for any Sale move on AM1000

whitesoxdave ‏@barstoolWSD 10m10 minutes ago Chicago, IL

whitesoxdave Retweeted Squints

I wasn't lying when I said this and again, it's why it won't happen

I thought that was saying it would happen and was floored.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
Monday is going to be crazy it's going to be tough to work.

Oh s*** month end close lol

When I heard the deadline was 8/1 instead of 7/31 this year, I requested 8/1 off from work. This was like, 5 months ago. Very happy with that decision :lol: I remember last year I had like 246 posts or something crazy like that on Soxtalk on 7/31, most of which were credible tweets that I'd post right when they were tweeted (I have quite the set-up on trade deadline days). Lots of people were thankful, so I think I'll do that again this year.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
I think that it is a common fallacy among fans to assume the extent that previous trades for given player archetypes "set the market" in the MLB. This is due to two factors: (1) the buyer is who determines the maximum price paid, since the deal isn't made if the seller's demands aren't met, and (2) every time a deal is made, it removes a team from the running in future deals, and the team that just got removed just so happened to be the one that was willing to pay the highest price for the similar player.

The Red Sox are not removed from adding a top of the rotation starter because of Pomeranz. In fact, I'd argue it's still their biggest need and one that DD would love to address. Whether they'll end up paying that price remains to be seen, but no way the Sox should accept anything less. Given the lack high-end starters in the league right now, someone will pay a ridiculous price eventually.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)
I like it. Still think we need Benintendi, as well as Moncada, in any deal with the BoSox. Bradley Jr. doesn't excite me that much, honestly.

Agreed. No offense to Bradley, but I'd take Moncada, Benintendi and (theoretically) Betts ahead of him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
For Sale? If Chapman & Pomerez are worth top 20 prospects (plus some for Chapman), you're telling me Sale isn't worth two top 10 prospects? I'm definitely not dealing Sale to the Red Sox without both Moncada & Benintendi in the deal. Anything less is a huge undersell IMO.

And agreed. Those two plus other significant pieces.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
Agreed. No offense to Bradley, but I'd take Moncada, Benintendi and (theoretically) Betts ahead of him.

And agreed. Those two plus other significant pieces.

If you read my idea you'd understand why I came up with Bradley Jr instead of Betts.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
When I heard the deadline was 8/1 instead of 7/31 this year, I requested 8/1 off from work. This was like, 5 months ago. Very happy with that decision :lol: I remember last year I had like 246 posts or something crazy like that on Soxtalk on 7/31, most of which were credible tweets that I'd post right when they were tweeted (I have quite the set-up on trade deadline days). Lots of people were thankful, so I think I'll do that again this year.

Unfortunately I can't.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Here's my just got home bored Three Way Deal:

Red Sox get:

Chris Sale, David Robertson, Yasiel Puig

Dodgers get:

Jose Quintana, Melky Cabrera, Nate Jones

White Sox get:

From Boston

Jackie Bradley Jr.

Moncada

Devers

Kopech

Swihart

From Dodgers

Urias

De Leon

Bellinger

Alvarez

Dodgers missed on Hamels and Sale but land Quintana, Cabrera to replace Puig (whom they may trade) and bolster their pen with Jones who is on a team friendly contract. Cabrera, with one more year on his deal, is an upgrade over Puig for the Dodgers because of his consistent offense.

Red Sox get their man in Chris Sale and the extra closer they were eyeing in Robertson plus Puig to replace Bradley Jr. They move Betts back to CF where he played last season. They lose some going from JBJ to Puig (Puig still has a ton of potential and change of scenery may help) but most importantly it helps DD land the ace he's wanted since the Sox started listening to offers for Sale. Like always DD gets his man.

White Sox and Hahn get their 5 big time player package they wanted for Sale and get a great return on Quintana to completely overhaul the lineup and farm system. Hahn couldn't pry Betts but got a fine All Star CF who is controllable til 2020 in Jackie Bradley Jr. Also receives 4 top prospects from the Red Sox that bolster a farm system lacking top end talent.

For Quintana and Jones to LA he lands future top of the rotation arm in Julio Urias along with 4 prospects out of LA's system to further aid in the reshaping of the Sox farm system and set them up nicely in the future.

Was just doing this for fun and wanted to see how I could make a sensible three way deal considering the sox love those. Look forward to being ripped for this LOL.

I dont think there will be a Boston deal without benintendi.