White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
So true. We don't HAVE to deal Chris Sale. If teams aren't willing to back up the truck of their minor league system, there is no good reason to do so.

My non confrontational, non argumentative response to that would be.. How do we know various trucks haven't been backed up already?

See, I think this organization is determined to do it THEIR way… which is, stick to the road most frequently traveled… That is, as long as

Kenny Williams has JR's ear..

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:42 PM)
CBS Sportsline has a story this morning that the Yankees have called Hahn multiple times and are pushing to try to get Sale.

Mark

Yankees would need to make it a 3-way deal to get better prospects for Sale.

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
My non confrontational, non argumentative response to that would be.. How do we know various trucks haven't been backed up already?

See, I think this organization is determined to do it THEIR way… which is, stick to the road most frequently traveled… That is, as long as

Kenny Williams has JR's ear..

Of course they are going to do it their way. Do you do everything everyone else's way?

The problem is, there is no way the White Sox can win with most unless they come up with all these prospects people think teams are more than willing to give up to get him. If they trade him for less, they screwed up. If they don't trade him, it will be these guys were clearly available and they blew it. There has already been talk they waited too long and blew it.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
Hopefully this is just to bait Boston to up their offer.

I hope so too. Yankees (and other competive teams for a wild card spot (Texas)), Ortiz's final season, terrible starting pitching, young and controllable core, Dombrowski are reasons Boston might overpay lol

Edited by soxfan2014

Yankees take the entire haul received from Cubs for Chapman, add #2 overall catching prospect Gary Sanchez AND Pineda (Coop will fix him!) for Sale. Sox immediately solve long term catching issue with Sanchez and most recent #1 Collins, get stronger up the middle in time with McKinney and Rashard Crawford, acquire stud middle infielder Torres (who I would convert into a 2B) and have both Warren and Pineda to bolster starting pitching staff.

As you see above, I told you about the Yankees being in play back on page 30 of this thread... I agree that the package is light, but the WSox have underwhelmed before. I have zero faith in the ability of this front office to pull off a Miller-esque heist a la Atlanta's fleecing of Arizona. I believe unfortunately that despite the posturing, the league knows that they want to move Sale and/or Jerry is sick of the repeated embarrassments and distractions from Sale's behavior. I still think Sale is the guy that gets moved before the deadline on the 1st. We shall see...

Edited by bruni

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
Of course they are going to do it their way. Do you do everything everyone else's way?

The problem is, there is no way the White Sox can win with most unless they come up with all these prospects people think teams are more than willing to give up to get him. If they trade him for less, they screwed up. If they don't trade him, it will be these guys were clearly available and they blew it. There has already been talk they waited too long and blew it.

You are hilarious. Already defending the front office for what they may or may not do.

Heard Kenny's guy -- Bob Nightengale of USA Today -- on Buster Olney's podcast today.

he says Frazier is most likely to go.

He said that he did not expect Sale to be traded until the off season.

Olney said that he believed Robertson would be dealt because of the contract.

Nightengale mostly agreed.

That was pretty much it.

No mention of Q, Melky or Duke.

QUOTE (bruni @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
Yankees take the entire haul received from Cubs for Chapman, add #2 overall catching prospect Gary Sanchez AND Pineda (Coop will fix him!) for Sale. Sox immediately solve long term catching issue with Sanchez and most recent #1 Collins, get stronger up the middle in time with McKinney and Rashard Crawford, acquire stud middle infielder Torres (who I would convert into a 2B) and have both Warren and Pineda to bolster starting pitching staff.

As you see above, I told you about the Yankees being in play back on page 30 of this thread... I agree that the package is light, but the WSox have underwhelmed before. I have zero faith in the ability of this front office to pull off a Miller-esque heist a la Atlanta's fleecing of Arizona. I believe unfortunately that despite the posturing, the league knows that they want to move Sale and/or Jerry is sick of the repeated embarrassments and distractions from Sale's behavior. I still think Sale is the guy that gets moved before the deadline on the 1st. We shall see...

Yuck

Edit: mostly at the McKinney (not big on him), Pineda, and especially Warren part.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
Part Moancada, Benintendi, Devers and Swihart.

Sale/Q's price alone covers the first three. Robertson could justify Swihart on his own with the current market. Then give them a starter to make get the trigger pulled.

Likewise with Urias, Pederson, De Leon and someone like Montas or Verdugo.

That is an awful trade for Sale. None are close to being MLB proven. Moancada is a great hitting prospect who is in AA learning to play 2nd base because it is the only infield position he seems able to learn. Obviously Pedroia is in front of him for many years. Red Sox think he will ultimately move to the outfield( but he would be blocked again if Benintendi is legit) or more likely replace Ortiz as a DH.

Swihart is on 60 day DL. Red Sox felt his defense was not ML quality and sent him back to AAA to learn left field. Again, he is blocked at majors level if Benintendi is ready next year.

I think there is no way you trade sale unless Betts( Bradley is probably untouchable) is included. Doubt Red Sox trade Betts unless next winter if they do not win it all.

No clue what Q would get. Maybe this package for Q and hope Moancada can learn 2nd and Swihart LF at AAA next year and Benintendi can jump to outfield next year.

FYIW---Per CBS, Peter Gammons who used to be very connected to Red Sox but not sure any more said Moancada, Ben. and Devers are not being traded. Maybe Dombrowski is posturing but............................

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:26 PM)
Heard Kenny's guy -- Bob Nightengale of USA Today -- on Buster Olney's podcast today.

he says Frazier is most likely to go.

He said that he did not expect Sale to be traded until the off season.

Olney said that he believed Robertson would be dealt because of the contract.

Nightengale mostly agreed.

That was pretty much it.

No mention of Q, Melky or Duke.

Surprised about the Frazier news.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
Surprised about the Frazier news.

I think Hahn will trade to save face. Some possiblities

1. Frazier or Melky not both--get back 2 mid-level prospects

2. Duke-gets a mid-level prospect

3. Miggy and 5th slot is juggled rest of year.-- high mid-level prospect since SP pitching seems a hot commodity.

4. If Robertson does go, I am afraid it will be mostly money and a couple of low prospects.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
You are hilarious. Already defending the front office for what they may or may not do.

He's not wrong in that there will be people criticizing the front office no matter what happens. I can't wait to read all the posts about all the great packages the Sox delusionally passed up if/when Sale isn't traded this week.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
CBS Sportsline has a story this morning that the Yankees have called Hahn multiple times and are pushing to try to get Sale.

Mark

Torres / Mateo / Judge / Sanchez / Rutherford / Severino / Pineda.

Ehhhh. Don't like it.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
That is an awful trade for Sale. None are close to being MLB proven. Moancada is a great hitting prospect who is in AA learning to play 2nd base because it is the only infield position he seems able to learn. Obviously Pedroia is in front of him for many years. Red Sox think he will ultimately move to the outfield( but he would be blocked again if Benintendi is legit) or more likely replace Ortiz as a DH.

Swihart is on 60 day DL. Red Sox felt his defense was not ML quality and sent him back to AAA to learn left field. Again, he is blocked at majors level if Benintendi is ready next year.

I think there is no way you trade sale unless Betts( Bradley is probably untouchable) is included. Doubt Red Sox trade Betts unless next winter if they do not win it all.

No clue what Q would get. Maybe this package for Q and hope Moancada can learn 2nd and Swihart LF at AAA next year and Benintendi can jump to outfield next year.

FYIW---Per CBS, Peter Gammons who used to be very connected to Red Sox but not sure any more said Moancada, Ben. and Devers are not being traded. Maybe Dombrowski is posturing but............................

Betts >> Bradley and has more value than Sale by himself, so not sure why Bradley is the untouchable one and Betts isn't.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
He's not wrong in that there will be people criticizing the front office no matter what happens. I can't wait to read all the posts about all the great packages the Sox delusionally passed up if/when Sale isn't traded this week.

There are hundreds of people who post here. There will be all sorts of opinions.

QUOTE (bruni @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)

Pineda is a free agent after 2017 - he would need to be nothing more than a pot sweetener. Severino is the pitcher you want.

Aaron Judge would also need to be included in any Sale/Q trade to NYY.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
I really do not believe that.

It's just one writer's opinion, but Dave Cameron in his annual trade value piece put Sale at #15 and Betts at #7. I can definitely see the logic in it, either way it's doubtful that Boston would trade Betts straight up for Sale, let alone add additional pieces. And a straight up Sale for Betts trade would be pointless on our end even if Boston was willing to do it.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
It's just one writer's opinion, but Dave Cameron in his annual trade value piece put Sale at #15 and Betts at #7. I can definitely see the logic in it, either way it's doubtful that Boston would trade Betts straight up for Sale, let alone add additional pieces. And a straight up Sale for Betts trade would be pointless on our end even if Boston was willing to do it.

Yeah, I mean I get how one could reach that conclusion, but I think you've got to ascribe a bit more value to Sale's consistency over the last several years versus Betts relative "newness" to this level of performance.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
Yeah, I mean I get how one could reach that conclusion, but I think you've got to ascribe a bit more value to Sale's consistency over the last several years versus Betts relative "newness" to this level of performance.

I mean he's not some rookie. He now has over 1300 PA of 5 WAR caliber play. He's dirt cheap and he has an extra year of control versus Sale. Over the last season and a half he's been worth 9 WAR. He's really freaking good and he's still just 23.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
Why would you settle for lesser return on a superstar pitcher with his contract? Either you get a ridiculous return, or you don't make a deal. Basically if you make a deal, you have to feel really, really good about the sum of the parts you get being better as a whole than Sale will be going forward. If the goal is to fill multiple holes, you have to feel pretty confident about getting at least two, if not 3 good starters out of this deal, with the chance at having at least one positional star come out of this deal. If not, why are you making the deal?

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. And that's why a deal is not going to get done.

Edited by Eminor3rd