White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
I wouldn't. You'd still need top end pitching talent. This is what I would do.

Sale and Robertson to the Red Sox for Moncada, Benintendi, Swihart, Devers, Kopech, and Basabe. (Drive up price because Yankees now have the pieces to get a Sale trade done).

Quintana to the Dodgers for Urias, De Leon, Holmes, and Calhoun.

Farm system rebuilt.

Not sure if you get urias for Quintana. Its been sorta reported they might forr sale but not sure the same for Quintana

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
Honestly ship one of each sale and q to one and the other. Who ever loses out on sale can have Quintana. The sox should be able to rebuild very quick

I'd deal Sale now and look into dealing Quintana in the offseason. The big difference between these two guys is stuff and the potential to dominate a playoff game or series. As good as Q is, if I needed a starter for a one game playoff (as the Red Sox would at the moment), it's going to be hands down Sale. The same goes for any playoff series, as Sale simply has the stuff to carry a team in October. The idea of having Sale for four post-season runs has to be incredibly attractive to the Red Sox as it fits perfect with their core of position players.

Quintana, on the other hand, is the definition of durable/reliable top of the rotation starter. While he would no doubt help a team in the playoffs, his value is in his ability to greatly help a team get there. With an extra year of control and ever more team friendly contract, there should be plenty of interest in him from both large and small market teams. I would rather have as many suitors as possible, including the losers in the Sale sweepstakes, bidding on him. That requires dealing him in the offseason. Not against dealing him now if blown away, but I think you're better off putting teams against one another for Sale than having teams competing for two similar assets. The idea there can only be one winner should drive up the return.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:23 AM)
Ok, so come up with a realistic trade that will provide the SOX with fair value, and has a chance to happen.

I've asked several posters to do so, and we haven't seen it happen.

Now, I would be perfectly happy with trading Sale and Q and ANY player in the roster, IF (and ONLY if) full & fair value can be attained. That said, a trade of Sale won't happen at this deadline because Sale should cost WAY too much in trade, & to acquire Sale would gut their org.

You can't quantify fair value with dollar amounts only. And you're using the terms FAIR VALUE & SURPLUS VALUE like these are some kind of new concepts you are presenting. Yes, man, the Sox need to win the trade on paper, which means a lot of good players are traded for their one good player. We all get it. Welcome though

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
I'd deal Sale now and look into dealing Quintana in the offseason. The big difference between these two guys is stuff and the potential to dominate a playoff game or series. As good as Q is, if I needed a starter for a one game playoff (as the Red Sox would at the moment), it's going to be hands down Sale. The same goes for any playoff series, as Sale simply has the stuff to carry a team in October. The idea of having Sale for four post-season runs has to be incredibly attractive to the Red Sox as it fits perfect with their core of position players.

Quintana, on the other hand, is the definition of durable/reliable top of the rotation starter. While he would no doubt help a team in the playoffs, his value is in his ability to greatly help a team get there. With an extra year of control and ever more team friendly contract, there should be plenty of interest in him from both large and small market teams. I would rather have as many suitors as possible, including the losers in the Sale sweepstakes, bidding on him. That requires dealing him in the offseason. Not against dealing him now if blown away, but I think you're better off putting teams against one another for Sale than having teams competing for two similar assets. The idea there can only be one winner should drive up the return.

That's a very good point. The Sox should make it clear that they are not dealing both Sale and Quintana. Let the interested teams bid for one of them. Limiting the supply is a very effective way to increase the price.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)

Wasnt trying to say let teams bidding for both players. Was saying when there is a bidding war for sale them and who ever loses hopefully they go for Quintana next. Yes more teams can bid in off season but sox are treating Quintana as ace as well the as they should so probably most teams wont have the resources to get him. Its going to be a limited market on both

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
I wouldn't. You'd still need top end pitching talent. This is what I would do.

Sale and Robertson to the Red Sox for Moncada, Benintendi, Swihart, Devers, Kopech, and Basabe. (Drive up price because Yankees now have the pieces to get a Sale trade done).

Quintana to the Dodgers for Urias, De Leon, Holmes, and Calhoun.

Farm system rebuilt.

As I posted yesterday, Kimbrall was making a rehab start last night. According to Boston Globe, he will be reactivated on Monday. So they will not want Robertson. Maybe Duke would attract their interest. Also it appears Benintendi may be recalled to play LF for their stretch run after their road trip. He may now be off the trade board as Boston continues to add young players with last names beginning w B.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
It seems crazy how little has happened thus far, White Sox or otherwise...

There has been some action, but it's like an Ebay auction...the real bids come right at the end. 1-3 pm tomorrow will be great. By the way, MLB is stupid to not make the trade deadline at about 8pm...make a primetime TV show out of it...duh!

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:16 AM)
There has been some action, but it's like an Ebay auction...the real bids come right at the end. 1-3 pm tomorrow will be great. By the way, MLB is stupid to not make the trade deadline at about 8pm...make a primetime TV show out of it...duh!

Yeah I get not wanting to make the deadline this afternoon but I think all teams playing day games today (no Sunday night game) and making the deadline like 8pm today would have been better.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
Wow. Sale could be a Yankee soon IMO. They have been talking about sale and now have loaded up on prospects to do it

I'm trying not to get my hopes up. It could also be an off season project.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
It seems crazy how little has happened thus far, White Sox or otherwise...

If the Sox are serious about making multiple moves this deadline, then I'd fully expect something to go down today. There's absolutely no excuse for not moving Robertson & Duke. Melky is having a very nice offensive year and his value will never be higher. The only thing that could be holding us back on them is perhaps some of these suitors are also interested in Sale or Quintana. That could complicate their markets. The same apples to Shields & Gonzalez. At some point though, the Sox simply can't executive four or five moves at the same time. If nothing goes down today, I'm going to be real worried that the Sox will be standing pat.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
As I posted yesterday, Kimbrall was making a rehab start last night. According to Boston Globe, he will be reactivated on Monday. So they will not want Robertson. Maybe Duke would attract their interest. Also it appears Benintendi may be recalled to play LF for their stretch run after their road trip. He may now be off the trade board as Boston continues to add young players with last names beginning w B.

Just because they have Kimbrel coming back soon, doesn't mean they wouldn't be interested in another back-end reliever. Robertson would still be a weapon for them.

And where did you see anything about Benintendi coming up? He has 258 plate appearances in AA, that would be an absurd rush job.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
Are the Yankees prospects that much better then Red Sox now?

Aside from Torres who they just got from the Cubs, the Yankees have a pretty bad farm (IIRC).

Although, with that addition + what they just got for Miller, perhaps it's better now.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
I'm not sure but they're stacked for a Sale trade but it also would force a bidding war between them IMO

Judge, Frazier, Severino, Sanchez, Mateo and Bird is a pretty strong package IMO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
Just because they have Kimbrel coming back soon, doesn't mean they wouldn't be interested in another back-end reliever. Robertson would still be a weapon for them.

And where did you see anything about Benintendi coming up? He has 258 plate appearances in AA, that would be an absurd rush job.

I live part of year in New England. One of beat writers wrote he is on fast track due to Holt injury and Bentz struggling. Bentz stuck out twice last night w bases loaded which has really fueled the rumors this morning w Boston media.

The Score guys are advocating dealing Eaton, too.

Shields and/or Gonzalez seem much more likely...then Robertson or Jones, Cabrera and Frazier.

Cabrera's a very good hitter and the second best position player on the team this year behind Eaton, but he's not worth the money on a fourth place team...and won't be better next year. Likely will decline a bit.

Of course, they also don't trust Hahn but blame JR and KW.

Sounds familiar.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
Aside from Torres who they just got from the Cubs, the Yankees have a pretty bad farm (IIRC).

Although, with that addition + what they just got for Miller, perhaps it's better now.

The Yankees have like 8 top 100 prospects, many of them position players. They have plenty enough to get a deal done.