White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little off the wall idea, but I wonder if the Sox would have any interest in taking Puig back in a lesser deal. I don't think his value has fallen enough for the Dodgers to do a Shields - Puig swap, or even a Robertson - Puig swap, but it would be a way to get a higher ceiling bat for the next couple years and an affordable price.

Admittedly I am just spit balling, but it'd be a White Soxy move and we know this FO has has interest in Puig before.

Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 3m3 minutes ago

@whitesox continue talking to teams about Sale and Quintana. @Dodgers , @Rangers and @RedSox remain involved. Will they meet high price?

Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 12s12 seconds ago

@whitesox love @RedSox CF Andrew Benintendi. @Dodgers have pieces that fit in 1B-OF Clay Bellinger, OF Alex Verdugo and 2B Willie Calhoun.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:09 PM)
A little off the wall idea, but I wonder if the Sox would have any interest in taking Puig back in a lesser deal. I don't think his value has fallen enough for the Dodgers to do a Shields - Puig swap, or even a Robertson - Puig swap, but it would be a way to get a higher ceiling bat for the next couple years and an affordable price.

Admittedly I am just spit balling, but it'd be a White Soxy move and we know this FO has has interest in Puig before.

Maybe having him and Abreu together would work.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
Probably. But if they really wanted to get rid of him they would have to compromise which I must say sounds better than keeping both going into the offseason. Hahn trying to keep his job trading for other various bandaids.

This is a really bad post. There is no compromise. THey need a franchise altering haul for Sale and Quintana or it's not worth trading them. Not really a debate. Not sure what is so hard to understand about it either.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 07:40 PM)
This is a really bad post. There is no compromise. THey need a franchise altering haul for Sale and Quintana or it's not worth trading them. Not really a debate. Not sure what is so hard to understand about it either.

Well, except for the fact that they suck ass with them...yes, they need to hit big if they do move them, but they aren't exactly lighting the world on fire with them.

Not sure what is so hard to understand about that.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:46 PM)
Well, except for the fact that they suck ass with them...yes, they need to hit big if they do move them, but they aren't exactly lighting the world on fire with them.

Not sure what is so hard to understand about that.

He was advocating that they take less and compromise. f*** that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 07:47 PM)
He was advocating that they take less and compromise. f*** that.

Well it goes back to Dick's real estate analogy again...if you have a $10 million house, it may take you a LONG time to get fair value, or else you may need to sell it for less than market value, due to a lack of buyers.

I think Baron's point is that Sale and Q aren't doing anything for us on our roster...so maybe the only alternative is to take a little less than market value.

I would suggest you wait until the offseason if that is the case, but you can't really just keep holding them and saying "I'm not getting the 5 prospects I desire."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:51 PM)
Well it goes back to Dick's real estate analogy again...if you have a $10 million house, it may take you a LONG time to get fair value, or else you may need to sell it for less than market value, due to a lack of buyers.

I think Baron's point is that Sale and Q aren't doing anything for us on our roster...so maybe the only alternative is to take a little less than market value.

I would suggest you wait until the offseason if that is the case, but you can't really just keep holding them and saying "I'm not getting the 5 prospects I desire."

Sure you can. You can just wait a couple years until their price gets to a point in which a team is actually willing to pay. You don't just give up years of control of underpaid aces just to move on. You get full value, or you wait.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:40 PM)

Oh Christ. Do we have to go over this again? I have zero faith in Rick Hahn. That's what it amounts to.

Part of it is it tempts them to go for it again next year.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 07:54 PM)
Sure you can. You can just wait a couple years until their price gets to a point in which a team is actually willing to pay. You don't just give up years of control of underpaid aces just to move on. You get full value, or you wait.

Therein lies the problem, however. Their trade value decreases as you wait longer...because those years of control are lessening.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:54 PM)

We've been waiting for 5 years now. Their value is going to start to diminish at some point if we don't move on this. Like I said before, it makes perfect sense in theory to wait until the offseason to move them but I guarantee that's not how we're going to operate if we still have both in the winter. 5 years since these two have been starting together and absolutely nothing to show for it. We can pretend we hold all the cards here and we don't need to move them(cause once again in theory we don't) but we're just going to repeat this same song and dance next July when they both have a little less value, if we don't move them now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:59 PM)
Therein lies the problem, however. Their trade value decreases as you wait longer...because those years of control are lessening.

It's obvious that no one is willing to pay the requisite price at the moment. Hahn hasn't and shouldn't blink. We'll see if someone else does.

No reason to comprise and get what you can get in a year or two from now just to make a trade. That's my point.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:59 PM)

Another way to put it if you dont mind me adding on.....What do you think is more likely to happen.

The offseason hits and they are immediately traded? Or the process is drawn out even more as teams still find the price high and would rather wait out the free agent market(even though the options are slim) because paying them with money is better than highly valued prospects

Then your stuck with those two players and essentially being forced to go for it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:51 PM)

Why wouuld you take a lesser deal on your best player?