White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:54 PM)
Sure you can. You can just wait a couple years until their price gets to a point in which a team is actually willing to pay. You don't just give up years of control of underpaid aces just to move on. You get full value, or you wait.

The problem with that is that the Sox don't have many position players in their farm system that project to be every-day players, and they're not going to be able to do much in free agency this winter. So if you hold on to both Sale and Q until 2019 because you don't feel like other GMs are offering "fair value," the prospects that you desperately needed in 2017 probably won't be ready until 2020 or 2021. Meanwhile, the Sox have no offensive output for years, they toil in mediocrity, and attendance falls and cripples their financial flexibility.

I'm not saying that Hahn has to move Sale or Q by tomorrow afternoon, but it would be in the organization's best interest to do it within the next 12 months.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:04 PM)
Why wouuld you take a lesser deal on your best player?

Because sometimes a lesser deal is better than the alternative, which is what he is worth continuing to start for us.

What would you prefer, a package of 4 prospects, where 1 turns into an all-star and three become above-average major leaguers, or 3.3 more years of Chris starting for us while we win an average of 75 games and make zero playoff appearances?

Again, I don't think the point of no return is now, but I think it's getting awfully close.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:07 PM)
Because sometimes a lesser deal is better than the alternative, which is what he is worth continuing to start for us.

What would you prefer, a package of 4 prospects, where 1 turns into an all-star and three become above-average major leaguers, or 3.3 more years of Chris starting for us while we win an average of 75 games and make zero playoff appearances?

Again, I don't think the point of no return is now, but I think it's getting awfully close.

I have yet to hear anything to indicate we have been offered anywhere near that kind of a deal. In fact all I keep reading is how teams DON'T want to offer their top guys. What deal am I missing here?

What I don't want to do is trade Chris Sale for a lesser package and end up with an assortment of Avi Garcia's so that we can win 70 games a year instead.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:08 PM)
IF Sale and Quintana really are on the market, then waiting isn't smart. As others have mentioned, the true value of Sale and Q is cost control and age. Every start they make for the White Sox diminishes that value. Waiting a "year or two from now" will substantially lessen their value.

Additionally, I'm incredibly uncomfortable with the thought that Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams STILL don't know what lane to pick, and if they believe they can't get proper value for these pitchers, they'll just hold on to them and once again try and make 2017 and 2018 work by piecing together another 78 win team.

I don't know how much their values will fall in a year, but one concern I have is the risk of an arm injury. Particularly for Sale, whose mechanics have been deemed by some as unsound.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:08 PM)
Gut says Q or Sale is gone to Boston by the deadline

I honestly thought at one point, someone would say f*** it and go all in for Sale. I was wrong. I still see the Red Sox caving and trading for Q. Are they really not going to get another starter for the postseason?

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:12 PM)
I don't know if you'll ever get the right return for Sale that's fair to the Sox. But is Moncada, Benintendi, Devers and Kopech and Vasquez taking less in your opinion?

I have yet to see anything to indicate that Boston has offered us that.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:08 PM)
IF Sale and Quintana really are on the market, then waiting isn't smart. As others have mentioned, the true value of Sale and Q is cost control and age. Every start they make for the White Sox diminishes that value. Waiting a "year or two from now" will substantially lessen their value.

Additionally, I'm incredibly uncomfortable with the thought that Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams STILL don't know what lane to pick, and if they believe they can't get proper value for these pitchers, they'll just hold on to them and once again try and make 2017 and 2018 work by piecing together another 78 win team.

No one is willing to pay for their current value, otherwise they'd have been moved!

Patience.

Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 53s53 seconds ago Chicago, IL

Phil Rogers Retweeted Ben Badler

@whitesox targeting him in Sale/Quintana talks but unclear if @RedSox willing to pay heavy price.Phil Rogers added,

Ben Badler @BenBadler

Andrew Benintendi 4-for-5 with two homers, two doubles today. Batting .312/.378/.532 and making a case for Minor League Player of the Year.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:12 PM)
I don't know if you'll ever get the right return for Sale that's fair to the Sox. But is Moncada, Benintendi, Devers and Kopech and Vasquez taking less in your opinion?

Pretty sure Hahn would take that deal. But I highly doubt anything remotely close to that has been offered.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:14 PM)
That is 100% part of it too, Black_Jack. Again, every time either starts for the Sox, you are now rolling the dice on an incredibly important piece for the future of your franchise.

Yep, and if Sale blows out his elbow next June, is Q even tradeable at that point? The Sox would have Rodon, Fulmer, and three holes to fill going into 2018 without Q.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
I have yet to hear anything to indicate we have been offered anywhere near that kind of a deal. In fact all I keep reading is how teams DON'T want to offer their top guys. What deal am I missing here?

What I don't want to do is trade Chris Sale for a lesser package and end up with an assortment of Avi Garcia's so that we can win 70 games a year instead.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is advocating to move him for nowhere near what we are hearing.

For instance, from Boston, we've heard the names Moncada/Benintendi/Devers/Kopech, etc.

I don't think anyone wants a package of Devers and three other guys nowhere near the top 100. What we're saying is if they Red Sox won't give you both Moncada and Benintendi, would you accept Benintendi/Devers/Kopech/ and another guy or two that perhaps is not quite as well regarded? Do you need to INSIST on Moncada?

It's all a matter of degree.

I, for instance, would insist on being able to choose any prospect I want for Sale, I don't care who he is. No one can be off the table. That doesn't mean I need to get both your top guys, but I need to choose which one I want.

As for Q, I can understand maybe you holding one guy back, as long as you are still willing to pony up in terms of the 2nd and third guys coming back.

Those are the types of decisions I think we're talking about here.

Not something where you give me a package led by Kopech or something.

@BenBadler Andrew Benintendi 4-for-5 with two homers, two doubles today. Batting .312/.378/.532 and making a case for Minor League Player of the Year.

@philgrogers @whitesox targeting him in Sale/Quintana talks but unclear if @RedSox willing to pay heavy price.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:15 PM)
No one is willing to pay for their current value, otherwise they'd have been moved!

Patience.

We've been repeating the word patience for nearly a decade. Clock is ticking.

Pirates, Yanks and Padres are running circles around us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:11 PM)

As opposed to our 79 wins a year that we know we're going to get now a days? Obviously nobody knows what's being offered at the moment but I bet right now is the best offers we're going to get outside of maybe this offseason. Problem is, as I keep saying, if we get to the offseason with these guys still on the roster then we're going for it on 2017, no doubt in my mind. We know what type of team we can build around Sale and Q, we have no idea whatsoever with the trade scenario. There's a (good)chance this fails no matter what but I'm willing to take that chance over the guarantee of mediocrity.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:16 PM)
Yeah, I don't think anyone is advocating to move him for nowhere near what we are hearing.

For instance, from Boston, we've heard the names Moncada/Benintendi/Devers/Kopech, etc.

I don't think anyone wants a package of Devers and three other guys nowhere near the top 100. What we're saying is if they Red Sox won't give you both Moncada and Benintendi, would you accept Benintendi/Devers/Kopech/ and another guy or two that perhaps is not quite as well regarded? Do you need to INSIST on Moncada?

It's all a matter of degree.

I, for instance, would insist on being able to choose any prospect I want for Sale, I don't care who he is. No one can be off the table. That doesn't mean I need to get both your top guys, but I need to choose which one I want.

As for Q, I can understand maybe you holding one guy back, as long as you are still willing to pony up in terms of the 2nd and third guys coming back.

Those are the types of decisions I think we're talking about here.

Not something where you give me a package led by Kopech or something.

Agreed.

Can KW and Hahn get out of each other's way in time, though?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
As opposed to our 79 wins a year that we know we're going to get now a days? Obviously nobody knows what's being offered at the moment but I bet right now is the best offers we're going to get outside of maybe this offseason. Problem is, as I keep saying, if we get to the offseason with these guys still on the roster then we're going for it on 2017, no doubt in my mind. We know what type of team we can build around Sale and Q, we have no idea whatsoever with the trade scenario. There's a (good)chance this fails no matter what but I'm willing to take that chance over the guarantee of mediocrity.

Abreu, Fulmer and Rodon are almost forcing this conclusion.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:17 PM)
We've been repeating the word patience for nearly a decade. Clock is ticking.

Pirates, Yanks and Padres are running circles around us.

Pirates Yanks and Padres? Lol