White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will continue to say, I find it highly improbable that Sale is dealt now. The Sox would be taking much greater risk, most likely, dealing him now, because it is far less likely they can get young, proven MLB assets (such as a Betts) if you deal at the deadline. If you wait to the off-season, the package shifts a bit, but you also probably get yourself at least a guy or two who lower the potential "floor" of the deal. In a lot of the "rumored" deals I've seen, It would almost take every guy hitting their ceiling for the trade to have very much upside.

For example, if a deal is centered around Urias, then the liklihood he even becomes something close to Sale is pretty unlikely, so to win out or even get fair, you need to get a few other guys who are solid contributors (and to have that, you need enough to make up for the typical bust rates, etc). It isn't like we have a guy with one year left, where you realize, you are talking about a shorter-duration in terms of value given up, but in Sale and Q's case, we have years of control, so the benefit of these young players "and the additional years" of control is minimized a bit as well.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
No, I think you misunderstood. We like the sharing and really no one came at you too strongly about it and the reaction was just a bit bizarre...bananas and DVDs and what not...that's all. Keep at it and continue to share.

Got it! I'll try to hold it together. Either way...it looks like there's some movement with Boston and that's a good thing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
I will continue to say, I find it highly improbable that Sale is dealt now. The Sox would be taking much greater risk, most likely, dealing him now, because it is far less likely they can get young, proven MLB assets (such as a Betts) if you deal at the deadline. If you wait to the off-season, the package shifts a bit, but you also probably get yourself at least a guy or two who lower the potential "floor" of the deal. In a lot of the "rumored" deals I've seen, It would almost take every guy hitting their ceiling for the trade to have very much upside.

For example, if a deal is centered around Urias, then the liklihood he even becomes something close to Sale is pretty unlikely, so to win out or even get fair, you need to get a few other guys who are solid contributors (and to have that, you need enough to make up for the typical bust rates, etc). It isn't like we have a guy with one year left, where you realize, you are talking about a shorter-duration in terms of value given up, but in Sale and Q's case, we have years of control, so the benefit of these young players "and the additional years" of control is minimized a bit as well.

I'd honestly rather roll the dice on the unproven guys at this point I think.

If the deal is Sale for Betts and Eduardo Rodriguez, for example, I dunno how much that really helps us.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 08:09 AM)
Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 1m1 minute ago

Names of interest in @whitesox Sale/Quintana talks w/@Dodgers: LHP Julio Urias, 1B-OF Clay Bellinger, OF Alex Verdugo, 2B Willie Calhoun.

I agree with these names

If I'm the Dodgers, I am not moving Urias for Q.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
Complication w/Moncada is @RedSox having invested $63 million in bonus and taxes to sign him. Puts him in separate category.

https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/760129399568101376

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
You should have listened to me last week. I stated the very same thing.

I kind of had a feeling this might be a reason.

Just taking a break from work to check on this. Man it would suck to not get Moncada for Sale. I'm not sure I make that deal. Maybe the sox don't like the contract of Moncada.

Benintendi, Devers, Kopech and Rodriguez isn't enough I feel like.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
Kershaw's injury changes everything for them. They need an anchor to get them to the finish line and hope he gets back.
honsely q need to get out of chicago he waisting his talents here when you team cant hold the lead or score more runs for him

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
Just taking a break from work to check on this. Man it would suck to not get Moncada for Sale. I'm not sure I make that deal. Maybe the sox don't like the contract of Moncada.

Benintendi, Devers, Kopech and Rodriguez isn't enough I feel like.

The Red Sox paid Moncada a $31.5 million bonus, and paid the league a $31.5 million penalty. They are invested $63 million. The Sox would pay him minimal amounts. It's Boston that doesn't want that $63 million investment to go away.