White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
Yeah I mean I will be a bit disappointed if no big moves are made, but if at least a few of these moves aren't made, I will be really angry.

I wouldn't necessarily be angry if nothing is done today, as the Sox have all winter to deal these players.

But I agree with you in principle.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
Benintendi wiki page is updated to say he's on the White Sox. Might mean nothing, but might...

It means nothing lmao, Cespedes signed a 5/84 deal with us according to Wikipedia last winter

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
Benintendi wiki page is updated to say he's on the White Sox. Might mean nothing, but might...

Every time this year someone falls for this. It means nothing.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
The White Sox want Yasiel Puig if they make a deal with the Dodgers.

Per Buster.

The obvious question then becomes...why?

CUZ THEY'RE GONNA WIN THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
Not sure if I buy the bolded...in the offseason, the option always exists to give some guy coming off injury a try, or to wait and see how the season begins, etc...

I think this is the right market to move these guys.

Given the state of our org, I almost think we need to roll the dice on prospects instead of a proven MLB guy anyways.

I thought it might be YOU catching the shorthand.

You're right, current contenders might offer a bit more -- at least in quantity of big-time prospects -- now. From a shorthand perspective, I'm not so sure that difference isn't offset completely by opening the bidding to everyone in baseball. AND everyone in baseball is absolutely in the discussion for Sales / Q because of their unique talent/surplus mix.

Personally, I'd make every effort to do the deal now -- not only because contenders will pay more, but these particular contenders are the BIG BOYS. All I'm suggesting is that we truly don't need to do anything coming close to a "cave" because Plan B (off-season moves) will be highly favorable for us as well.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
It isn't though -- the "value" assigned to Moncada today doesn't have anything to do with the cost of acquiring him in the past. The Red Sox either made a good buy or a bad buy, but regardless, what they have TODAY is today's version of Moncada.

It's a common stock market fallacy to think like you're suggesting. If you bought $1,000 of stock yesterday, it diminished to $500 in value today, you shouldn't balk at a chance to sell it for $600 simply because you had $1000 into it.

I'm pretty sure they and the rest of baseball don't see his stock as dropping. The big payoff is going to be his pre-arb years, paying him nothing to hopefully put up huge WARs.

If he's as good as advertised, there probably is as much value in him as there is in Sale.

It's possible maybe they would do a straight up swap, but adding another top 10 guy plus others really would be a huge pill for Boston to swallow.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 09:35 AM)
The White Sox want Yasiel Puig if they make a deal with the Dodgers.

Per Buster.

The obvious question then becomes...why?

Probably cause they figure there is change of scenario upside. I presume he's the 3rd or 4th piece in a package and not the headliner, but he's the piece they want. I presume Urias and DeLeon are in the deal as the top minor league talent and then Puig is the major league guy and then you are talking about another one or two prospects.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
From Dave Cameron's deadline chat today:

Jimmy: Benintendi/Rodriguez/Devers/Swihart for Sale. Deal?

Dave: That's a big overpay for Boston.

C'mon Dave, big overpay?

I've lost a lot of respect for him this past month. He sucks at trade evaluation