White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
Please provide details of the deals they have turned down.

What does that have to do with it? My post wasn't a move Sale/Q for whatever you can get post. There are plenty of moves that could have been made outside of our starting pitching. Its time to s*** or get off the pot, what does this organization aspire to be? Mediocre is not an acceptable answer, he flat out said this is a mediocre team. If you acknowledge your team is mediocre, and you do nothing about it, what does that tell you as a fan?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:28 PM)
Please provide details on why they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

You don't know the offers, so to criticize them for not taking them is ridiculous. I have read many times on this board if Boston doesn't over their 4 top prospects, then no Chris Sale for them. Now the only reports out there say they will not offer their top prospect and the White Sox are losers for not settling.

You could see this coming for weeks. Unless the White Sox were able to acquire the unreasonable packages proposed on here, it was going to be a b**** fest whether they traded him for less, which apparently you think is a good idea, or not trade him at all, which is supposedly bad.

That said, there is still 90 minutes to go. Something will more than likely happen.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
What does that have to do with it? My post wasn't a move Sale/Q for whatever you can get post. There are plenty of moves that could have been made outside of our starting pitching. Its time to s*** or get off the pot, what does this organization aspire to be? Mediocre is not an acceptable answer, he flat out said this is a mediocre team. If you acknowledge your team is mediocre, and you do nothing about it, what does that tell you as a fan?

It has everything to do with it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
It has everything to do with it.

Ok, well you don't know what offers have been made either.. that argument can work both ways. Doesn't change the fact that I still have zero faith in this front office making the right move.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
what is interesting? that we suck as an org?

We suck because we won't budge on 2 of the top assets in all of baseball?!? Or because we won't settle for less when we have 2 cost controlled elite pitchers in a seller's market where the top contenders could use pitching?!? Dombrowski, Friedman and Daniels should be the ones sweating right now, not Hahn.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
They have some, not my favorite though.

I bet KW has his eye on A-Rod for our pennant run. That could be the piece that puts us over the top.......................

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
Ok, well you don't know what offers have been made either.. that argument can work both ways. Doesn't change the fact that I still have zero faith in this front office making the right move.

If in your mind whatever they do will be wrong, why are you so interested?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
If in your mind whatever they do will be wrong, why are you so interested?

Because this is my favorite team and I have to watch them every year?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
You don't know the offers, so to criticize them for not taking them is ridiculous. I have read many times on this board if Boston doesn't over their 4 top prospects, then no Chris Sale for them. Now the only reports out there say they will not offer their top prospect and the White Sox are losers for not settling.

You could see this coming for weeks. Unless the White Sox were able to acquire the unreasonable packages proposed on here, it was going to be a b**** fest whether they traded him for less, which apparently you think is a good idea, or not trade him at all, which is supposedly bad.

That said, there is still 90 minutes to go. Something will more than likely happen.

I have ten years of running an awful organization to criticize them for. You also don't know what has been offered so to defend them is ridiculous. Players/teams/organizations can earn the benefit of the doubt but all this organization does is constantly make the wrong move. Until they do something different, anything different, my first reaction is going to be to criticize because that's what they've earned.

Edited by Rowand44

Dick - no. We aren't doing this circular kill thread with randomly accusing people of making an argument you heard once somewhere. We are here to beat a dead horse on a trade that will not happen.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
Because this is my favorite team and I have to watch them every year?

You don't have to watch them at all. If they make you so miserable there are lots of other things to spend your time with.

People take this stuff way too seriously. There is a thread on the main page that should put any of this into perspective. There is a lot worse than can happen to you than having to watch Chris Sale pitch for the White Sox the next 2 months.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)
Unless something drastic happens, Hahn has come out and said this team is "mired in mediocrity" and yet, does not do anything about it.. As a fan, not a good look at all. Zero faith in this organization to make the right move.

Wow haven't seen you post in while.

Come the winter time he won't do anything about it either, because he can't. There's no easy way of fixing this trash of a team. People assume everything will be different with more teams available over the offseason but haven't we learned by now nothing works in our favor? No team is willing to overpay for any of our players......ever. So here we are mired in mediocrity

What percentage of top MLB prospects become the stars, that they are projected to be? What are the odds concerning how many of Boston's top 5 prospects will become really good Major League players? Unless the odds are really good that at least 2 or 3 of them become stars, even getting all 5 of them is not a good gamble, when contemplating giving up Sale and his contract. You guys tell me what those odds are, and then we can all intelligently discuss the merit of any proposed deals for Sale.

I will say this, if we don't trade Shields and/or Robertson, my opinion changes slightly, but those are two guys (you could kind of include Miguel Gonzalez in there as well), who don't fit into our longer term plans and probably don't see there value go anywhere but down (and the long-term value they bring to the organization, in light of where we stand from a competiveness perspective.

When it comes to Sale / Q, I think unless we get literally blown away, the better offers and the better risk adjusted return most likely exists in the off-season, when young, major league talent, becomes available. Now if we go through next off-season, without having made quite a few moves (with some happening now and some happening in the off-season) to begin the retooling (based upon Hahn's recent statements), then I think everything Tru said becomes a real factor. Basically don't start next season without having significantly changed the course / path towards success.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
I have ten years of running an awful organization to criticize them for. You also don't know what has been offered so to defend them is ridiculous. Players/teams/organizations can earn the benefit of the doubt but all this organization does is constantly make the wrong move. Until they do something different, anything different, my first reaction is going to be to criticize because that's what they've earned.

I don't know what the offers are either, but they set a price and are sticking with it. I think that is good strategy.

If Sale must be traded, he can still be traded after the season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
You don't have to watch them at all. If they make you so miserable there are lots of other things to spend your time with.

People take this stuff way too seriously. There is a thread on the main page that should put any of this into perspective. There is a lot worse than can happen to you than having to watch Chris Sale pitch for the White Sox the next 2 months.

Again, I don't understand why you are focusing this on Chris Sale. I never even mentioned him in my original post.

I really wish that the FO would come out and say what the team's philosophy is.

If you are "retooling" then hanging on to Chris Sale and Jose Quintana is a must. They are the strength of the team's core.

If you are rebuilding, then it makes almost no sense to keep them. If you are rebuilding it makes even less sense to trade one and not the other.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
Do not understand the hype behind Severino, Bird, or Judge.

Bird looked really good down the stretch last year. He hit a few clutch HRs--BIG one in Toronto. Sorta reminded me of the way Magglio came on to the scene.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
Wow haven't seen you post in while.

Come the winter time he won't do anything about it either, because he can't. There's no easy way of fixing this trash of a team. People assume everything will be different with more teams available over the offseason but haven't we learned by now nothing works in our favor? No team is willing to overpay for any of our players......ever. So here we are mired in mediocrity

I try to keep a low profile these days..

The worst part is, this will be the second year in a row this mediocre team just shrugs its shoulders at the deadline (AS OF NOW) instead of saying "This is what we are, this is what we need to do"