White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
Why??? Their teams are all in good position to make the playoffs. If they are not willing to pay out what Hahn is asking, they are still in good shape. They not only have their team in the playoff hunt, they all have several outstanding prospects in their farm system as well. That is the job of a GM. Success in the majors and talent in the minors. We have neither right now.

Let me play devil's advocate here. I think the GMs of the Rangers, Dodgers, and Red Sox would have some 'splainin' to do to their respective owners if the very available Chris Sale and Jose Quintana are still with the White Sox come the top of the hour. Both represent as good of a game changer to each of those team's playoff chances (and longer term success, given each of their contract situations) as any player out there. I think from those team's point of view it could be considered a colossal failure to not come away with either simply because they weren't willing to give up top minor league talent. I mean, remember - we aren't even talking about top Major League talent like we would be if it were the offseason. This should really be a no brainer for these other GMs at this point.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:13 PM)
I agree that prospects are a gamble. But Sale/Q have already been here for 3/4 (healthy) years and what do we have to show for it??? So maybe we need to move one or both next winter for established ML players and see if that works.

I've been preaching the fact that I think the off-season opens up a lot of other options to change the game. We could still get the right offer today and pull the trigger, but a wider list of players is available in the off-season, and this is a historically awful FA crop, which should enhance the value of guys like Sale / Q.

Of course you do run the risk that someone gets hurt between now and the off-season and thus they no longer become a "chip".

QUOTE (FT35 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
Now watch...Moncada and Benitendi to TB for Archer...that would be our luck right there.

LOL did you go eat the banana in your DVD player? If those two are arent coming for Sale, then they certainly arent going for Archer who doesnt have nearly the career in his back pocket that Sale has

They are going to hope Tilson can be an everyday CF, sign a FA bat to play OF/DH(Reddick, Desmond type) and a C Ramos/Weiters. This sellout thing just isn't going to happen. That's fine, but 2017 is a boom or bust year because then in 2018, they have to replace Melky, Lawrie and Frazier.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
MLBN says Moncada definitely won't be traded, but Benintendi would be included for Sale... nothing groundbreaking here

Then yeah, Sale isnt going anywhere.

MLBN says Moncada definitely won't be traded, but Benintendi would be included for Sale... nothing groundbreaking here

If that's the case, I'd include Melky in the deal and try to get Betts (plus two of their top 5 prospects).

Im starting to get the feeling that DD is like some Soxtalk posters...beating a dead horse. No Boegarts, Betts, Bradley or Moancada, then no Sale, Dave. See you at the winter meetings when you will put them in play after missing out on the playoffs.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
LOL did you go eat the banana in your DVD player? If those two are arent coming for Sale, then they certainly arent going for Archer who doesnt have nearly the career in his back pocket that Sale has

HAHA! Yes...it was delicious...almost as good as the apple that came from my mac last week...

Oh I know though...I'm just saying it's stuff like that that would come in last minute that leaves our fan base in a state of WTH brain freeze. Somehow, somewhere, we will miss out!

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
They are going to hope Tilson can be an everyday CF, sign a FA bat to play OF/DH(Reddick, Desmond type) and a C Ramos/Weiters. This sellout thing just isn't going to happen. That's fine, but 2017 is a boom or bust year because then in 2018, they have to replace Melky, Lawrie and Frazier.

This just makes the most sense to me, assuming they can't get the king ransom's for Sale and Q.

I'd try to get Carlos Gomez on a 1 year deal. Let Tilson be the 4th OF.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
Jared Carrabis ‏@Jared_Carrabis 2m2 minutes ago

Nick Cafardo on MLB Network: "I do believe [Red Sox] may make another attempt to fit the right pieces together" for Chris Sale.

... "but it's unlikely that it will work"

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
This just makes the most sense to me, assuming they can't get the king ransom's for Sale and Q.

I'd try to get Carlos Gomez on a 1 year deal. Let Tilson be the 4th OF.

That team is still terrible.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
Im starting to get the feeling that DD is like some Soxtalk posters...beating a dead horse. No Boegarts, Betts, Bradley or Moancada, then no Sale, Dave. See you at the winter meetings when you will put them in play after missing out on the playoffs.

That'd be fine with me.