White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (heirdog @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
Im starting to get the feeling that DD is like some Soxtalk posters...beating a dead horse. No Boegarts, Betts, Bradley or Moancada, then no Sale, Dave. See you at the winter meetings when you will put them in play after missing out on the playoffs.

If you wait until the off season you can get a player that is on a major league roster right now.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
That team is still terrible.

This team is 3 games under .500 with Abreu and Frazier, their two best players, having the worst years of their career. I don't think its crazy for that team to be in contention. And if not, then they can trade everyone next July. Its how the Sox roll.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
If you wait until the off season you can get a player that is on a major league roster right now.

Why is that such a priority? Enough of the retooling bulls***, I'm more than fine with getting only minor league prospects and waiting for them to develop. If you trade Sale, you have no business in receiving MLB ready talent.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
Jared Carrabis ‏@Jared_Carrabis 2m2 minutes ago

Nick Cafardo on MLB Network: "I do believe [Red Sox] may make another attempt to fit the right pieces together" for Chris Sale.

lol, they know what the right pieces are.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)

True, but I guess where the conversation becomes interesting is would we rather get Moncada, Benintendi, Kopech, and Shihart now, or Betts, Swihart, and Kopech in the winter? I think for me I'd rather take my chances now with the former.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
Why is that such a priority? Enough of the retooling bulls***, I'm more than fine with getting only minor league prospects and waiting for them to develop. If you trade Sale, you have no business in receiving MLB ready talent.

There is some level of value to getting a young star that you KNOW is a major leaguer versus guys who are projected to be. There is a difference between getting a guy who could be like Kris Bryant, and getting Kris Bryant.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)

Bradley and Betts are both under team control through 2020. That's right around the time that Q and Eaton hit free agency, so either of those two would fit in with the plan.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
True, but I guess where the conversation becomes interesting is would we rather get Moncada, Benintendi, Kopech, and Shihart now, or Betts, Swihart, and Kopech in the winter? I think for me I'd rather take my chances now with the former.

I think if Moncada and Benintendi and the others were in the deal, you'd probalby have it done. The issue more is with the fact that Boston is only willing to give up 1 plus the other prospects.

At this point, trading Sale or Q is just gonna piss me off regardless, because they'd be leaving so many other trade opportunities in the dust. If you trade one of those two, you may as well trade everyone not locked up long term - Melky, Frazier, Robertson being the ones that may bring back the most - because you arent competing in 2017 without Sale and/or Q.

At this point, I have to imagine we get one trade, at most.

yes, completely agree with this and what my preference would be unless the Boston top 4 is coming this way.

My guess:

Hahn started w the major league Bs and said add Benintendi or Moancada and some other pieces

When he got a "no" for major league, he said top 5 prospects including Moancada and Ben ++

When he got a "no", he said final offer is top 4 spects with both Moancada and Ben...take it or leave it and we'll revisit in off-season.

Hahn looking back may now say, you know what I came down enough and I'd actually prefer the first option when Groome is in play along with the major league Bs.

I have no interest in getting Bradley, Betts, or Bogaerts in any deal for Sale/Q.. to me, that trade makes no sense. Not only would it lower the package, we would open a massive hole in our rotation and while getting a very good position player, I don't see how we are in any different situation than we are in now.

If they are going to trade Sale/Q, it should be for a haul of top prospects. I know that they all wont work out, but I like that road better in terms of how this team can have a real chance of building something special

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
I have no interest in getting Bradley, Betts, or Bogaerts in any deal for Sale/Q.. to me, that trade makes no sense. Not only would it lower the package, we would open a massive hole in our rotation and while getting a very good position player, I don't see how we are in any different situation than we are in now.

If they are going to trade Sale/Q, it should be for a haul of top prospects. I know that they all wont work out, but I like that road better in terms of how this team can have a real chance of building something special

Why not around one of the B's plus Benitendi or Moncada plus Swihart, etc? It can be both and depending on the B, you are still getting a ton of long-term value. Plus, I think part of this change is more realizing we can develop pitching and not position talent, so it is more retooling the club around position players, hoping we can leverage our historical strength's to rebuild the rotation.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:31 PM)

To me, getting young guys that are already proven makes a of sense. You still get some cost control, and you lose some of the uncertainty of turning into the next Brien Taylor.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
Which is the wrong way.

That is an opinion. I get your stance, but you don't trade Q and Sale unless you get what you want, and so long as you have those dudes, you may as well try to compete.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
That is an opinion. I get your stance, but you don't trade Q and Sale unless you get what you want, and so long as you have those dudes, you may as well try to compete.

I think more frustration is rooted in the fact that there are a lot of assets they should have moved prior to the deadline.

Trying to compete with Sale and Quintana has worked exactly zero times. It's time for something else.

Which is a proven failure with this organization.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
I think more frustration is rooted in the fact that there are a lot of assets they should have moved prior to the deadline.

I don't think you move Melky and Frazier, 2 of your 3 best offensive pieces, if you keep Sale and Q. Same could be said for Robertson.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
Trying to compete with Sale and Quintana has worked exactly zero times. It's time for something else.

Ugh. This is stupid. The Sox would have traded Sale and Q if they got the offers they wanted.

Clearly they didn't.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:37 PM)
I don't think you move Melky and Frazier, 2 of your 3 best offensive pieces, if you keep Sale and Q. Same could be said for Robertson.

But if the plan is/was to sell then start selling. Waiting for the biggest trade of all time to go down first is a mistake.