White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
While I definitely appreciate your opinion and the thought you put into this post, I'm just going to go ahead and disagree with all of it. If you think this organization is going to sell off pieces next trade deadline if they're around .500, you're just fooling yourself my friend.

Then they're dumber than I think they are.

I know most Sox fans just generally think this FO is run by people who have no idea what they're doing, but that's obviously not the case. If the Sox are like 2-3 games under, perhaps. But if they suck balls, they're going to sell off pieces, because otherwise they're getting nothing for all that stuff that leaves via FA for nothing. This season (and 2015 for that matter) are vastly different situations than they'll be in 2017.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 01:00 PM)
we'll see. I'm not in the trade Sale camp, but if somebody's going to offer the sun and the moon and the stars too, go for it.

I don't want to see Sale get dealt either, but seeing what GMs gave up for vastly inferior players doesn't make me think that about 29 other GMs wouldn't give up a ton to get him with little worry about a decline.

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
I didn't think much else needed to be said. You suggested Carlos Gomez and wished upon a star for Abreu to "bounce back."

Wow. Best of Luck.

I didn't suggest it as if that is what I would do regarding Gomez. I said that patchwork acquisitions in CF, C and DH - which is basically what the Sox did last offseason - are likely for 2017 when looking at the composition of the roster, in which case Gomez will definitely be a target in CF. That said, I actually don't think Gomez would be all that bad of idea if thats the route they go. Better than spending nearly $100M on a mediocre player in Reddick and moving Eaton back to CF.

As for Abreu, he had a horrible April, a bad may, a great June, a bad July, and so far an awesome august. Over the last month his OPS is .855. Since June 1, his OPS is around .800. Definitely not the player he was in 2014, but 2016-version of Abreu is still a well above average bat that remains a great bargain on his contract. I don't think it is completely out of the question to expect him to have a better year next year. But you're right, expecting that is wishing upon a star. GMAFB.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
David KaplanVerified account

‏@thekapman

I posed this to @CarmenDeFalco @ESPNChiCubs @Plesac19 As a Sox fan: Would u trade Chris Sale for Theo?

lol

This is why people think David Kaplan is an idiot.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/03/cubs...mpensation.html

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/08/heym...is-rangers.html

The Sox haven’t put Chris Sale on trade waivers yet, Heyman notes, though that decision is a moot point. He’d be claimed by the first team available — the Twins, as things currently stand — and pulled back off waivers. Chicago had interest in Gary Sanchez when the Yankees were looking at Sale, he adds, though that’s not much of a surprise. Catcher has long been a weak spot in Chicago, and Sanchez is among the more highly regarded prospects in all of baseball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)

From the same link

The Rangers weren’t able to swing a deal for any of the big-name starters they pursued, but that’s in part due to the asking prices they received. The Rays asked the Rangers for Jurickson Profar and other pieces in exchange for Matt Moore, while Rougned Odor’s name was suggested by the Rays in Chris Archer talks and by the White Sox in talks for Chris Sale.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
From the same link

The Rangers weren’t able to swing a deal for any of the big-name starters they pursued, but that’s in part due to the asking prices they received. The Rays asked the Rangers for Jurickson Profar and other pieces in exchange for Matt Moore, while "]Rougned Odor’s name was suggested by the Rays in Chris Archer talks and by the White Sox in talks for Chris Sale.

Glad to hear RH was insisting on Odor's inclusion in talks with Rangers. Means Gallo, Mazara, Odor was starting point.

Edited by ChiSox59

The way the Red Sox are surging since the AS break, Hahn can forget about getting a "haul" from them this offseason. Their starting pitching has been great despite the fact that I don't think they really have an "ace" when the playoffs roll around. But Porcello may end up winning the Cy Young the way he is pitching.

Red Sox and Rangers would definitely be lesser matches in the offseason...if anything, Boston will try to get something useful back for Shaw/Ramirez and fit Moncada and Encarnacion into that juggernaut while figuring out how to rehab Sandoval into something useful.

LAD....but that's only if Kershaw is sidelined well into 2017.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 19, 2016 -> 08:58 PM)
The way the Red Sox are surging since the AS break, Hahn can forget about getting a "haul" from them this offseason. Their starting pitching has been great despite the fact that I don't think they really have an "ace" when the playoffs roll around. But Porcello may end up winning the Cy Young the way he is pitching.

I think you're forgetting how aggressive Dombrowski is?

QUOTE (GhostofDickeyKerr @ Aug 20, 2016 -> 12:08 AM)
Sale's value decreases by the month. Glad the Sox have steady leaders at the helm who clearly understand asset management.

In fairness, Sale may be more valuable than trading him. He is worth a"lot" and few teams have a "lot". In addition, from comments from Boston media after the deadline, the White Sox were asking an unreasonable return for him. So the White Sox need to trade from strength, which is starting pitching, so offseason they have to find a package for either Q or Rodon to add young talented players.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 20, 2016 -> 07:40 AM)
In fairness, Sale may be more valuable than trading him. He is worth a"lot" and few teams have a "lot". In addition, from comments from Boston media after the deadline, the White Sox were asking an unreasonable return for him. So the White Sox need to trade from strength, which is starting pitching, so offseason they have to find a package for either Q or Rodon to add young talented players.

That won't accomplish anything to market Rodon as if he's a #1 or 2 starter when it's still just potential...not to mention no acquiring team will be able to extend him.

Selling low on him just creates another hole. As it is, we only have three starting pitchers we can count on for next year. We're stuck with Shields. You need to make a trade where you get at least 2 and hopefully three young impact players or it doesn't make sense to trade just for the sake of trading.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 20, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
That won't accomplish anything to market Rodon as if he's a #1 or 2 starter when it's still just potential...not to mention no acquiring team will be able to extend him.

Selling low on him just creates another hole. As it is, we only have three starting pitchers we can count on for next year. We're stuck with Shields. You need to make a trade where you get at least 2 and hopefully three young impact players or it doesn't make sense to trade just for the sake of trading.

I agree Rodon does not get you a haul like Q does. But Rodon is still a valuable trade chip in that he is a #1 pick, under 25, and a lefty with close to 275 innings by next winter. He may need another piece with him but I think he could bring back a couple of young players in return. Again, I am working off the premise Sale is not tradeable.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 21, 2016 -> 07:36 PM)
I agree Rodon does not get you a haul like Q does. But Rodon is still a valuable trade chip in that he is a #1 pick, under 25, and a lefty with close to 275 innings by next winter. He may need another piece with him but I think he could bring back a couple of young players in return. Again, I am working off the premise Sale is not tradeable.

If you're trading Rodon and holding onto Sale, I don't think you look for young players in return. You look for guys who make your team better right now and let the team acquiring Rodon be the team looking to develop the young starter. Trading Rodon is a "win now" move.