White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
Dave Cameron has a Fangraphs chat today, and I submitted this question:

"If the Red Sox were willing to include both Moncada and Benintendi for Sale, do you think the White Sox would make the trade?"

His answer:

"Yes.

But I don't think Boston would do that."

I don't buy that. I think Boston would include both, but the Sox are asking for even more than that (Betts, etc.). If Boston isn't willing to include both those prospects from the get go, there's really no conversations about Sale to be had.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)
I don't buy that. I think Boston would include both, but the Sox are asking for even more than that (Betts, etc.). If Boston isn't willing to include both those prospects from the get go, there's really no conversations about Sale to be had.

I agree, there's no way Betts or Bogaerts is going anywhere, but if Boston isn't willing to include both Moncada and Benintendi for Sale they can get bent. Otherwise there really isn't a package that makes it worth it.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)
Can someone with insider access please summarize the Bowden suggested trades please?

The link is referred above but here it is again:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-of...r/post?id=12715

Bowden

Red Sox - Sale for Moncada, Kopech, Swihart and Rodriguez.

Rangers - Sale for Mazara, Profar or Gallo, Tate and Ortiz

Nationals - Sale for Joe Ross, Trea Turner, Fedde or Lopez, and Glover

Cubs - Sale for Schwarber, Hendricks, Happ and Candelario

Dodgers - Sale for Urias, De Leon and Puig

ME

Red Sox - Sale for Moncada, Benitedi, Swihart, Owens and Rodriguez.

Rangers - Sale for Mazara, Profar, Gallo, Tate and Ortiz

Nationals - Sale for Joe Ross, Trea Turner, Fedde, Lopez, and Glover

Cubs - Sale for Schwarber, Baez, Hendricks, Happ and Candelario

Dodgers - Sale for Urias, De Leon, Verdugo, Montas and Puig

Can someone with insider access please summarize the Bowden suggested trades please?

Basically, White Sox would ask for Boegarts or Betts, Red Sox would say no and they would settle for Moncada, Kopech, Swihart, and Rodriguez.

Same story with Rangers and etc. I just don't think the Sox would settle in this instance. No reason for them to.

I want the same thing as you guys do, but I really don't think the Red Sox are giving up both Moncada and Benintendi on top of several other top 100 prospects. Everyone agrees it's too much.

"WELL THEN THEY DON'T GET SALE. SIMPLE AS THAT."

Exactly. There are many other options on the market. They aren't as good as Sale, but if the cost is too high, they'll settle for less.

And that's fine -- I want to keep Sale personally -- but my point is this: we aren't getting Moncada and Benintendi, so don't let your heart move that direction.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 01:03 PM)
I want the same thing as you guys do, but I really don't think the Red Sox are giving up both Moncada and Benintendi on top of several other top 100 prospects. Everyone agrees it's too much.

Exactly. There are many other options on the market. They aren't as good as Sale, but if the cost is too high, they'll settle for less.

And that's fine -- I want to keep Sale personally -- but my point is this: we aren't getting Moncada and Benintendi, so don't let your heart move that direction.

Someone like Hellickson or Cashner won't get Boston farther in the playoffs. Boston has their hands tied as well, and a top 3 pitcher in MLB can't land 2 top prospects in baseball? I think it's definitely possible.

The people saying they want Moncada/Benintendi plus a bunch of other legit prospects are crazy, but Sale for those two plus a lottery ticket should be doable, and if Boston says no then just keep him.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
The people saying they want Moncada/Benintendi plus a bunch of other legit prospects are crazy, but Sale for those two plus a lottery ticket should be doable, and if Boston says no then just keep him.

Benintendi, Moncada, Kopech. And if they want to include Swihart. That's a doable deal for me.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
I'd wait until the offseason for Sale to Boston. If I'm moving him there then I'm waiting until the season is over to try and get one of the Bs, Moncada, Benintendi, Kopech and Swihart. Then we got a deal.

I just don't see them getting Boegarts/Betts/Bradley, Moncada and Benintendi. Plus other top prospects on top of it.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
Not really. If Boston did it, they're still Boston.

Right...of all the teams Boston would be the most likely to rebound...but if we take 3 of their top 5 prospects, plus a couple other pieces, they will be short on top prospects to deal for significant pieces for a couple of years--unless they don't win the WS this year or show they have a huge shot at it early next year and sell vets to rebuild. Same position competitively as us--all available resources at the MLB level--1 maybe 2 main players of interest in your system. If the MLB team struggles to win, they will have to pay. Now we all know they CAN/WILL pay...but the reason they are successful has been the fact that they have developed a nice crop of talent from their system. If we raid that system--they will feel the heat from that in one way or another.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
Right...of all the teams Boston would be the most likely to rebound...but if we take 3 of their top 5 prospects, plus a couple other pieces, they will be short on top prospects to deal for significant pieces for a couple of years--unless they don't win the WS this year or show they have a huge shot at it early next year and sell vets to rebuild. Same position competitively as us--all available resources at the MLB level--1 maybe 2 main players of interest in your system. If the MLB team struggles to win, they will have to pay. Now we all know they CAN/WILL pay...but the reason they are successful has been the fact that they have developed a nice crop of talent from their system. If we raid that system--they will feel the heat from that in one way or another.

They'll be able to spend on international prospects next year though so they can sign which ever top ones come over and just load up on a bunch.

ITs terrible. DOn't bother reading. Sox would accept none of this proposed trades, nor should they.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
I know a lot of people want Devers but if it meant getting the 2 top guys then they keep Devers and we could take a different prospect.

I would so something like this for Sale and Robertson

Sox take 1

Redosox protect 1.

Sox take 2

Redsox protect 2

Sox take 1

Redsox protect 5

Sox take 2

Sox take Swithart

If one wants Sale traded.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
They'll be able to spend on international prospects next year though so they can sign which ever top ones come over and just load up on a bunch.

EDIT NVM YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT BOSOX

Edited by bmags

I kind of agree. That's why if both were offered I'd be thrilled. I do think some lower level pieces should be included as well thou

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
Here's to hoping the Tigers score some more runs off the Red Sox starter. (I don't cheer for the Tigers often obviously but want the Red Sox to get desperate lol)

Agree completely. I want the Red Sox rotation pounded from now until the deadline. I want DD desperate.

Trying to think of any trades involving pitchers similar to Sale over the past 20 years or so....David Price? Rays got Austin Jackson for him. Johnny Cueto...that deal looks terrible for the Reds. Johan Santana for Carlos Gomez? Going way back, Pedro for Pavano?

Random thoughts I have in my brain.