White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:16 PM)
Dodgers should be in it. They lost norris today to back tighness. Honestly you think boston would be more aggressive. They are currently fighting for a wild card spot and haven't played well lately.

The Dodgers have been very reluctant to give up top prospects which is why I don't see them in the mix very much.

As for Boston. I think their hands are tied. Sale and Q require a large haul and I'm guessing Boston is wondering if one pitcher is going to help that pitching staff enough to justify giving up so many top prospects in one trade. If I were them, I would add someone like Gonzalez or Shields to help them now and over the winter use their prospects to get two above average pitchers for their rotation. Two above average pitchers would help their rotation more than one elite pitcher. One saving grace for the White Sox is that the Yanks are looking for pitching and have prospects to deal so that could help keep Boston somewhat in the mix.

I think there's potential for Hahn to play those Texas teams against each other because both are fighting in the same division and are not afraid to give up prospects in trades.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
I'd hope so. I guess it's better than KW, who seemed to just keep on piling prospects into deals to get them done.

hahn's done some piling on too. And KW had one season where he won fewer than 79, so at least his teams were decent when piling them on.

It's going to be hard for teams to pull the trigger on Sale or Q. There's a lot of risk in giving up 2 top 20s, 2 more top 100s and then some. A lot of posters have said wait until offseason, and they may be right as the teams can throw in some vets in lieu of prospects. Not my taste, obviously.

Edited by GreenSox

I don't freak out until I see it with my own eyes on Twitter. Been fooled before. If you're unsure, just look at how many followers the person has. If it's six, you know it's fake.

The Sox are about to land in Detroit. Maybe something tonight. Never know.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
How many of you would pay $250 to see Hahn's text messages in real time over the next 20 hours? :)

Absolutely. Would prefer to see the last week as well.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 04:18 PM)
I wish I could be this optimistic. That Duke trade has me spooked.

Well, you know me, I'm as critical of Sox mgmt as anyone around. But I'm thinking they are playing this one out exactly as they should. They don't HAVE to move either Sale or Quintana, as we all know, and appear to only be willing to do so for a king's ransom, as they should. The leverage is 100% with the Sox, and they are using it to the hilt. The closer we get to that deadline tomorrow, the better the deal(s) will be for the Sox, if they make one or any at all.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)
Well, you know me, I'm as critical of Sox mgmt as anyone around. But I'm thinking they are playing this one out exactly as they should. They don't HAVE to move either Sale or Quintana, as we all know, and appear to only be willing to do so for a king's ransom, as they should. The leverage is 100% with the Sox, and they are using it to the hilt. The closer we get to that deadline tomorrow, the better the deal(s) will be for the Sox, if they make one or any at all.

Not sure if that is true. Many speculate that there is no accountability in the White Sox FO. After a winter of moves which should have improved the team, on July 31st the White Sox are 3 games below .500. The exact same level they were a year ago on 7/31. So Hahn has all the leverage as long as JR is content where they stand today. But if there is any discontent on management's part with the present situation, then I am not sure Hahn has all the leverage. Cashman can walk away from the table since he has improved their farm system this weekend. Dombrowski can walk away since his team is still in contention for a WC and his farm system is loaded w talent. But if Hahn walks away from the table with a team that is stumbling after the All Star break, had an embarassing situation w his star player this week, the crosstown rivals are headed to the post-season and all he has to show is a 4th outfielder for his efforts at the deadline, he may be feeling the heat.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 05:53 PM)
But if Hahn walks away from the table with a team that is stumbling after the All Star break, had an embarassing situation w his star player this week, the crosstown rivals are headed to the post-season and all he has to show is a 4th outfielder for his efforts at the deadline, he may be feeling the heat.

You kind of leave out that whole part where he'd also walk into the Winter Meetings with baseballs two biggest trade chips, still.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)
You kind of leave out that whole part where he'd also walk into the Winter Meetings with baseballs two biggest trade chips, still.

Again, we have to assume he survives if the Sox have another sub .500 seasonsimiliar to last season. But if Hahn is asking more than teams are willing to pay , they are not really trade chips now or next winter. The seller needs a buyer . There probably are a very limited number of teams that can provide a "haul" for a Chris Sale. So if say Bsoton does not make the playoffs this year, they very well could offer a roster player ( Betts?) or two that they won't now in a pennant race. But if Boston makes the playoffs, they may be less willing to unload a "haul " next winter as opposed to trading for a SP that will not require multiple high prospects.

Hopefully tomorrow some contender offers a pakage that Hahn accepts. I agree he should not fold for a poor deal. Maybe Sale is just not tradeable and a package for Q makes more sense. But doing nothing may be a tough pill for Sox fans to swallow as Cubsmania explodes in the media.

I think silence is the best thing right now. It means all the posturing through the media is done and only serious discussions w serious teams taking place. That being said, I think Q, Robertson and Shields get dealt before the deadline. Someone will pony up for Q is my pure guess.