White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:16 PM)
Yeah, I don't think anyone is advocating to move him for nowhere near what we are hearing.

For instance, from Boston, we've heard the names Moncada/Benintendi/Devers/Kopech, etc.

I don't think anyone wants a package of Devers and three other guys nowhere near the top 100. What we're saying is if they Red Sox won't give you both Moncada and Benintendi, would you accept Benintendi/Devers/Kopech/ and another guy or two that perhaps is not quite as well regarded? Do you need to INSIST on Moncada?

It's all a matter of degree.

I, for instance, would insist on being able to choose any prospect I want for Sale, I don't care who he is. No one can be off the table. That doesn't mean I need to get both your top guys, but I need to choose which one I want.

As for Q, I can understand maybe you holding one guy back, as long as you are still willing to pony up in terms of the 2nd and third guys coming back.

Those are the types of decisions I think we're talking about here.

Not something where you give me a package led by Kopech or something.

For me any Sale deal starts with Moncada, Ben, and Kop. If they aren't willing, too bad. And yes, I am willing to wait until the offseason.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:25 PM)
For me any Sale deal starts with Moncada, Ben, and Kop. If they aren't willing, too bad. And yes, I am willing to wait until the offseason.

Really that simple.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:17 PM)
As opposed to our 79 wins a year that we know we're going to get now a days? Obviously nobody knows what's being offered at the moment but I bet right now is the best offers we're going to get outside of maybe this offseason. Problem is, as I keep saying, if we get to the offseason with these guys still on the roster then we're going for it on 2017, no doubt in my mind. We know what type of team we can build around Sale and Q, we have no idea whatsoever with the trade scenario. There's a (good)chance this fails no matter what but I'm willing to take that chance over the guarantee of mediocrity.

Doing something half-assed just because this isn't working is a franchise killing move. You have two gigantic assets and if you aren't squeezing every possible return out of them, you are negligent as a front office. Fans can think like you are. GM's can't.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:17 PM)
We've been repeating the word patience for nearly a decade. Clock is ticking.

Pirates, Yanks and Padres are running circles around us.

The Pirates went three decades without finishing over .500. Tell me how much better that is than where we are now.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:17 PM)
If we can get Benintendi for Q, I'll be estatic.

He better be the minimum that they get. Q is 6th in fWAR in baseball for pitchers since 2013. He's awesome and locked up for 4 seasons. He costs Benintendi +

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:27 PM)
Doing something half-assed just because this isn't working is a franchise killing move. You have two gigantic assets and if you aren't squeezing every possible return out of them, you are negligent as a front office. Fans can think like you are. GM's can't.

It's not half assed if you believe it's the best value you're going to get even if it's not 100 percent everything you hoped for. And you can't kill something that's already dead and this franchise has been dead for a long while now.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:32 PM)
Rumors are that Boston doesn't want to move Moncada or Benintendi. Hahn probably hung up on them if that's the case.

Yeah, there's no way I'd agree to that. Unless DD wants to trade Bradley or Betts, though I doubt he'd do that before the end of the season.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:30 PM)
He better be the minimum that they get. Q is 6th in fWAR in baseball for pitchers since 2013. He's awesome and locked up for 4 seasons. He costs Benintendi +

Oh it's Benintendi ++

Benintendi, Devers and one more?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:27 PM)

As opposed to last offseason's "half-assed", so-called "upgrade" moves of signing Rollins, Jackson, Navarro, Avila, and Latos that you labeled at the time as "surreal"?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:32 PM)
Rumors are that Boston doesn't want to move Moncada or Benintendi. Hahn probably hung up on them if that's the case.

It's a poker game. Ball is in DD court until the deadline. I think he goes all in for either one but that's my gut feeling. Q to Boston makes too much sense. They won't give Moncada so we settle for Benintendi package. That's just fine with me for Q.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:27 PM)

Meh. They've been half assing it for years. Look no further than this offseason. Acquire Lawrie and Frazier but that's it minus the scrap bin.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)

Yeah, I agree with him if that is the case. I think there is an understanding that they can't give us their entire farm system.

But if they want Sale or Q, they are going to have to gut the top end of it a bit.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 08:39 PM)
Correct.......but if you have determined that a rebuild is the best course of action for the long term health of your franchise, there is an imaginary date floating out there when the value of Sale and Quintana begins to lower. It's the job of the front office to know when that date is.

You want franchise killing? Never moving your best assets because you didn't feel like you got 100% proper value back, and you continue on the path of 78 wins a season for 3, 4 more years until both leave via FA, leaving you with a draft pick.

Or trading them in their last seasons and getting one of these type of prospects instead of 3 or 4.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:45 PM)
Can anybody hack Hahn's Fitbit and see if he has gone to sleep yet tonight?

I think it's a safe bet that he and Kenny have been at the office for the past couple of evenings and probably aren't going home until tomorrow afternoon.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:45 PM)
Can anybody hack Hahn's Fitbit and see if he has gone to sleep yet tonight?

Hahn tends to strike late at night... like from now until 1 AM. Melky, Robertson, Lawrie, Samardzija, etc.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 10:43 PM)
Or trading them in their last seasons and getting one of these type of prospects instead of 3 or 4.

It really all depends on what deals are really available which unfortunately none of us know. I don't see how getting a few top prospects now isn't better than waiting a few years to get one.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
Last year I had like 250 posts on deadline day, copy-pasted over 100 insider tweets here, etc... I do plan on doing it again tomorrow. One of my favorite times of the year honestly

I'll be at work so I'll make you my go to poster for tomorrow lol. I'll check Twitter too of course. Work is gona suck