White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
I don't know what the offers are either, but they set a price and are sticking with it. I think that is good strategy.

If Sale must be traded, he can still be traded after the season.

Them setting a price and sticking to it is exactly why we have JB Shuck as our starting CFer. Their prices are terrible. They are both incredibly conscious of how a longterm expensive deal can hamstring a team and completely ignorant of how their routine raiding and horrible player development hamstrings them longterm.

If Sale must be traded for one price that doesn't exist, then, you can finish that.

I have complete confidence a better GM could have created a more interesting package for Sale by starting a bidding war at a lower price than by saying "give me your major league offense!" to a bunch of playoff teams.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
I really wish that the FO would come out and say what the team's philosophy is.

If you are "retooling" then hanging on to Chris Sale and Jose Quintana is a must. They are the strength of the team's core.

If you are rebuilding, then it makes almost no sense to keep them. If you are rebuilding it makes even less sense to trade one and not the other.

They don't know / haven't decided / can't decide

Rosenthal says Yankees talking Beltran deal with rangers and indians. If they pry a decent pitching prospect (Tate or Ortiz), would that be enough to package to white sox with the other pieces: Frazier, Torres, Sanchez, Judge, Severino etc.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
Them setting a price and sticking to it is exactly why we have JB Shuck as our starting CFer. Their prices are terrible. They are both incredibly conscious of how a longterm expensive deal can hamstring a team and completely ignorant of how their routine raiding and horrible player development hamstrings them longterm.

If Sale must be traded for one price that doesn't exist, then, you can finish that.

I have complete confidence a better GM could have created a more interesting package for Sale by starting a bidding war at a lower price than by saying "give me your major league offense!" to a bunch of playoff teams.

Boston, LA, Texas. The other guy refused to answer, what is the bare minimum from each you would think the Sox should take?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
I have ten years of running an awful organization to criticize them for. You also don't know what has been offered so to defend them is ridiculous. Players/teams/organizations can earn the benefit of the doubt but all this organization does is constantly make the wrong move. Until they do something different, anything different, my first reaction is going to be to criticize because that's what they've earned.

Exactly, and until information is released with names of players offered I'm not just going to assume the White Sox were correct in not trading either Q or Sale. Just as Boston may have lowballed them, perhaps the White Sox wanted too much and were unwilling to step down. If nothing comes out, I'm still faulting the White Sox by default because they haven't earned ANY benefit of doubt

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
This sucks... I pick up my son in 15 minutes. The last hour of the deadline when all the action pours in - I'll be tied up. Gurrrr :P

Or you may just spare yourself 750 refresh clicks for nothing...

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
What percentage of top MLB prospects become the stars, that they are projected to be? What are the odds concerning how many of Boston's top 5 prospects will become really good Major League players? Unless the odds are really good that at least 2 or 3 of them become stars, even getting all 5 of them is not a good gamble, when contemplating giving up Sale and his contract. You guys tell me what those odds are, and then we can all intelligently discuss the merit of any proposed deals for Sale.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/

Here's a list for 2012. Maybe compare the Red Sox prospects and where they are listed and say that's what we get back for Sale.

In the end, whoever gets Sale will win. We will win "hope" that we won't be mired in mediocrity.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
This sucks... I pick up my son in 15 minutes. The last hour of the deadline when all the action pours in - I'll be tied up. Gurrrr :P

If your a fan of the other 29 teams there will be action, not for the Sox though.

All reports say nothing will happen; on one hand, frustrating when you see the amount of talent (at least by ranked prospects within an organization) being given for mediocre/average talent, but it's hard to move these guys and ever feel comfortable that equal talent was received...then again, we're back at where we started - 2 great pitchers, a few professional types (Robertson, Melky, Eaton, Jones, Shields, I'm probably missing a few) with a lot of mediocre talent and our offensive force (Abreu) falling into that category this season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
Maybe because you are complaining in the Sale thread.

Yeah, I made a general observation of this teams deadline short comings in the Chris Sale thread. I see how that post could have confused you into thinking I want them to trade Sale for whatever was offered regardless of how "good" the package was.

To clarify so you don't lump me into the rest of the meathead crowd who just wants to see something done just because.. I want this team to pick a direction to go in, there are pieces on this team that can and should be moved today.. If you are out of it (Which we are) then moves need to be made to either 1.) Support the team next season (If they believe they can still compete) or 2.) Support the team in the future (If they believe its time to rebuild)

Sitting on your hands and doing nothing, that's not a direction. As a fan, I want to see them commit one way or the other. Don't come out and tell me were mediocre and then not do anything, that tells me you're ok with being mediocre.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)

I'd rather hang out with my son than hope (for an hour) that my favorite baseball team's FO finally gets it right.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)

No, the Sox not drafting/developing offensive talent is why Shuck is our staring CFer.

I think it's perfectly rational for Hahn to ask for the moon for Sale right now, when he'll be available for four playoff runs. This winter, when he'll be available for three playoff runs, Hahn can lower his price.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
Yeah, I made a general observation of this teams deadline short comings in the Chris Sale thread. I see how that post could have confused you into thinking I want them to trade Sale for whatever was offered regardless of how "good" the package was.

To clarify so you don't lump me into the rest of the meathead crowd who just wants to see something done just because.. I want this team to pick a direction to go in, there are pieces on this team that can and should be moved today.. If you are out of it (Which we are) then moves need to be made to either 1.) Support the team next season (If they believe they can still compete) or 2.) Support the team in the future (If they believe its time to rebuild)

Sitting on your hands and doing nothing, that's not a direction. As a fan, I want to see them commit one way or the other. Don't come out and tell me were mediocre and then not do anything, that tells me you're ok with being mediocre.

Not to put words in your mouth, but I think my follow-on post to yours probably summed your line of thinking up. We said we are mediocre, now we expect to see some action today and more in the off-season. Do not be the same team starting next season. In no way were you saying you had to move Q or Sale or you'd be pissed, you simply said, you need to start that process now (that means moving Robertson, Shields, etc) and then continuing that effort in the off-season (and even then, it doesn't mean you necessarily move both Sale & Q, but you need to move one of them before the start of next season to truly shift the balance / change the philosphy).

Whether it works, who knows, but when the current path is mediocrity and you've publicly indicated it, then you need to do different. That could be spending $1B on payroll too (and go the opposite direction) but they need to change things up because the current status isn't working (if you listen to what Hahn has said).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Boston, LA, Texas. The other guy refused to answer, what is the bare minimum from each you would think the Sox should take?

So you can remember random caulfield posts from 4 years ago but you can't remember who you were arguing with 5 minutes ago? \

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
So you can remember random caulfield posts from 4 years ago but you can't remember who you were arguing with 5 minutes ago? \

Flash Tizzle. But it is a cleaver way of not answering a question.

Edited by Dick Allen