White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 01:08 PM)
Wow, you honestly think the Red Sox wouldn't trade Moncada straight up for Sale?

I don't. If they did they wouldn't give you much else. Add $63 million to Sales salary the next few years for what would be Bostons true cost, and suddenly he isn't as huge of a bargain. Moncadas payoff is if he is a star right away.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
I don't think Boston would give up Moncada for either. They spent $63 million signing him with bonus plus penalty. I find it hard to believe he would be available starlight up let alone in a package.

With Sale's contract and their investment for Moncada considered, Boston would be "paying" Sale 30.5mm per year on average. They'd also look to lock him up in the later years of his contract... so it would still make business sense for them.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
I don't. If they did they wouldn't give you much else. Add $63 million to Sales salary the next few years for what would be Bostons true cost, and suddenly he isn't as huge of a bargain. Moncadas payoff is if he is a star right away.

Dombrowski would do a 1 for 1 deal in a heartbeat. No questions asked. Signing bonus is a sunk cost at this point, already paid and irrelevant to this.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
Dombrowski would do a 1 for 1 deal in a heartbeat. No questions asked. Signing bonus is a sunk cost at this point, already paid and irrelevant to this.

Exactly, the $60M should have no barring on this decision. Plus where does Moncada play? I'm pretty sure Pedroia is locked up until 2021 and Boegarts will be their SS for the foreseeable future. Maybe they could try him at 3B or LF, but those aren't huge areas of need for them. Getting a legit ace for the next 3 1/2 years makes them the team to beat in the AL. They would be scary good and their young core gives them plenty of time to allow the farm system to replenish. There's no doubt in my mind that Dombrowski would trade Moncada+ for Sale. The only question is how much is that plus and is it enough for the White Sox to bite.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
https://twitter.com/maxwildstein/status/756923894141952000

Barstool follows him. Tweet suggests Haymen cites Sox as asking teams for 5 prospects in any Sale deal. I see no article or direct quote from Haymen to this effect thou.

Take it FWIW

Here.

http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/knuckleba...-still-calling/

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)

While a couple interested GMs said they doubted whether the Chisox would trade him based on the asking price, one said of the asking price, “They will get it."

Get it done Hahn, don't settle for anything less than that...someone will eventually bite.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
Guy on Twitter told me Boston would be crazy to trade Moncada who is a "Hall of fame talent". Maybe he will be but anointing minor leaguers before they step foot in the big leagues is a joke. They all overvalue their own prospects

LOL It's similar to those on this site that thing Sale gets you a Correa/Betts type AND all their top 5 minor leaguers.

The old adages are worth remembering: "Pitching is 80% of the game"; "Good pitching will always stop good hitting"; "Great pitching wins championships," etc.

Now, factor in the exorbitant cost of locking up great pitching, e.g; Scherzer and Greinke. It seems that any team that wants Sale or Quintana would have to

give up more than a top prospect, regardless of how promising he may be. Promises don't always translate into production. How do you trade one established Super Star, on a reasonable contract, for even a potential "Super Star," especially, when your Super Star is a pitcher and the other player is a position player? I would want more than Moncada, in a deal for Sale.

The Sox have to be filling at least 2, preferably 3 holes, if they create the huge hole that losing Sale would represent. I know that we all have a tendency to over value our own players and prospects, but that is not the case with our lofty opinion of Chris Sale.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rang...m-chicago-tampa

We have been scouting Texas

Jon Heyman is right that White Sox want 5 prime prospects for Chris Sale....Nomar Mazara is on their wish list here

https://twitter.com/Sullivan_Ranger/status/...940496233172996

Moving in the right direction.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rang...m-chicago-tampa

We have been scouting Texas

Jon Heyman is right that White Sox want 5 prime prospects for Chris Sale....Nomar Mazara is on their wish list here

https://twitter.com/Sullivan_Ranger/status/...940496233172996

He better be, that kid is a stud

Let's try to analyze this from a different tack. What are the holes that need to be filled, going forward a year or 2:

SS Anderson

RF Eaton

1B Abreu

DH ?

C Collins

3B ?

CF ?

2B ?

Lf ?

Trade Sale to Boston for Moncada and Jackie Bradley Jr., filling the holes at second base and centerfield. Boston could use Holt in center, for the rest of the season.

Trade Robertson, Frazier and Melky to which ever teams could fill at least 2 of the other 3 holes, with young cost controlled players.

You could include Lawrie, but he probably wouldn't bring back much.

I'm beginning to get excited about Alex Call as a potential future outfielder.

A DH could best be acquired in the Free agent market, and if Collins ends up at first, Abreu would DH.

Keep Quintana, and hope that Rodon, Fullmer, Adams and Hansen, could fill out the rest of the rotation.

Burdi and Jones might be able to hold down the back end of the bullpen.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 02:10 PM)
The Angels need pitching and they have talked about dealing Trout. How about Sale for a Trout and a couple of prospects from the Angels?

....They need pitching so they can build around the greatest player in a generation