White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

FWIW---Boston had a Trade Deadline Show w Jerry Remy and 2 Boston Beat Writers. They indicated multiple sources said the Dodgers were the only team who thought they could make a deal for Sale. Texas and Boston were not giving up what Hahn wanted and moved on. Dodgers finally switched their attention to Hill mid-day. There was some discussion that JR was not trading Sale regardless of the package. They don't think Sale will "really" be available in the winter either.

Maybe tomorrow we will hear some more rumors. However, we saw how wrong most of the pre-deadline rumors turned out so many of these post deadline rumors are just as wrong

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)
FWIW---Boston had a Trade Deadline Show w Jerry Remy and 2 Boston Beat Writers. They indicated multiple sources said the Dodgers were the only team who thought they could make a deal for Sale. Texas and Boston were not giving up what Hahn wanted and moved on. Dodgers finally switched their attention to Hill mid-day. There was some discussion that JR was not trading Sale regardless of the package. They don't think Sale will "really" be available in the winter either.

Maybe tomorrow we will hear some more rumors. However, we saw how wrong most of the pre-deadline rumors turned out so many of these post deadline rumors are just as wrong

So perhaps JR is just that desperate for another shot at a ring before he steps down? That doesn't sound too far-fetched and would explain why things never materialized today.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:41 PM)
JR doesn't want the team to suck too badly since the TV contract will be negotiated in a year or two.

That makes even more sense.

Who knows, maybe JR will go "all-in" and overpay for Reddick and another bat this winter.

Of course he won't be available in the winter. We'll fool ourselves into thinking more teams are there to bid for Sale, but they did everything this deadline of a team looking to compete. If the price was too high now, it'll be too high in December.

I just expect a lot of posters here to remember what they've posted about how this upcoming offseason is a defining moment for this franchise. None of this, "wait until the deadline" nonsense. We can't continue sitting around

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:41 PM)
JR doesn't want the team to suck too badly since the TV contract will be negotiated in a year or two.

So he wants them to be mediocre and miss the postseason for two more seasons to obtain a decent TV deal rather than rebuild and obtain young and exciting prospects? I think networks would be more excited to get a deal with the White Sox who have a bright future.

Then why trade Duke? He was our only good lefty and didn't need to be moved? If he's going "all in" he better spend a s*** ton of money. Cespedes or some bat, revamp the bullpen by signing Chapman and stop half assing things. This franchise also needs to stop rushing f***ing prospects. I'm tired of it. You're seeing how unready Fulmer is. Anderson I could understand but they're too aggressive. Adams, Fulmer, etc.

It's always interesting to step outside the Chicago media to see how other people view the Sox. It's pretty darn obvious that JR has issued a no rebuilding mandate. Today would have been the perfect day to start a teardown. The lack of trade activity shows that this FO and ownership has absolutely no interest in a rebuild.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)
Then why trade Duke? He was our only good lefty and didn't need to be moved? If he's going "all in" he better spend a s*** ton of money. Cespedes or some bat, revamp the bullpen by signing Chapman and stop half assing things. This franchise also needs to stop rushing f***ing prospects. I'm tired of it. You're seeing how unready Fulmer is. Anderson I could understand but they're too aggressive. Adams, Fulmer, etc.

What about Jennings?

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)
It's always interesting to step outside the Chicago media to see how other people view the Sox. It's pretty darn obvious that JR has issued a no rebuilding mandate. Today would have been the perfect day to start a teardown. The lack of trade activity shows that this FO and ownership has absolutely no interest in a rebuild.

Scot Gregor and Matt Spiegel both said differently today. Said JR is more ready than ever.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:04 PM)
You're always defending the White Sox, but here, it's indefensible. So let's assume Sale and Q were not receiving the return value they expected. Ok, now what about Robertson, Cabrera, Eaton, Gonzalez, Shields? None of them were receiving interest? I can't believe it. Are we to believe trading Duke was the ONLY deal we thought worthy? They screwed themselves publically acknowledging this team was mediocre, then doing nothing to change it.

Worst part about all of this

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
Scot Gregor and Matt Spiegel both said differently today. Said JR is more ready than ever.

If that is the case, then why wasn't anyone moved today? I get the rationale on not moving Q or Sale. Not moving Robertson, Frazier, Shields, Cabrera, or anyone else makes zero sense. I don't buy that JR is ready to rebuild. Actions speak louder than words.

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 08:49 PM)
If that is the case, then why wasn't anyone moved today? I get the rationale on not moving Q or Sale. Not moving Robertson, Frazier, Shields, Cabrera, or anyone else makes zero sense. I don't buy that JR is ready to rebuild. Actions speak louder than words.

Maybe other teams think those guys are as bad as people in the gamethreads do.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 06:46 PM)
I can't think of any reason not to trade Melky, Robertson, Gonzalez, or Shields. I guess Frazier you could hope he rebounds to finish the year and sell in the offseason but no reason with the others.

Because the return wasn't going to give you enough to justify the deal. I mean, why do we need the next Leury Garcia? If there was a legitimate deal out there, that is one thing, but I have yet to see that we passed up something that would have really given us a better angle for hte future.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:04 PM)
You're always defending the White Sox, but here, it's indefensible. So let's assume Sale and Q were not receiving the return value they expected. Ok, now what about Robertson, Cabrera, Eaton, Gonzalez, Shields? None of them were receiving interest? I can't believe it. Are we to believe trading Duke was the ONLY deal we thought worthy? They screwed themselves publically acknowledging this team was mediocre, then doing nothing to change it.

If someone can tell me something we actually passed up that is worthwhile... It is all assumptions and anger at this point.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:24 PM)
According to whitesoxdave... FWIW I was told the #WhiteSox turned down a Benintendi, Kopech, Johnson/Ball, and PTBNL package for Quintana from #RedSox

In the off season, Groome will be available too.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 10:02 PM)
Good point. Now when we discuss potential deals we can discuss recently drafted players as well.

I'd like to believe the Sox would target recent draftees, but i'd say they're likely to prioritize MLB or near MLB talent.