Specific Trade Ideas

Jose Abreu

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
Hello, fellow Sox faithful.

Wild that after that blazing hot 23-10 start, we'd be dealing with an all-but-dead team late July, and, worse yet, a new round of grave concerns about this team's future.

At some point, even this loyal to a fault ownership group must acknowledge that the franchise is broken. Because they're intelligent and successful (at least in their other pursuits), I'm clinging to the hope that there will come a time when reality trumps misplaced loyalty -- if for no other reason than protecting the value of the franchise. Me? I'd jettison Ventura, Cooper, and KW today, and give the keys to the car to RH (without his egotistical backseat driver).

Now, on to the topic of "specific trade ideas." I'm not going to list the various Top-100 guys we should target who are sprinkled throughout prospect lists, but concentrated in the systems of a few teams. Others have done that at length. Instead, my contribution today is simply my own view (shared by others -- very little is original here) of big-picture philosophy. More than a few of us have criticized Sox management of either lacking a coherent overall philosophy and/or failing to properly execute on a philosophy (if they actually have one).

For your consideration:

First time in ages the Sox are in the driver's seat for all sorts of possible deals. If we're going to sell, then MAXIMIZE this rare opportunity.

In an era of sky high prices for a limited pool of Top-20 pitchers, we have a Top-5 guy and a Top 12-15 guy (I'm a huge Q fan), BOTH with way below market price tags and control. Are you kidding? That's gold. Please Rick, treat it as gold. Create an auction environment. Make sure all of baseball understands we're expecting to be blown away because we don't have to trade either of these guys (and not to you ... Red Sox or Dodgers or Rangers or Astros). And Rick, please -- for once, we're not going to be the ones throwing in additional sweeteners to make the deal. THEY pay or we don't play.

Recognize WHO would pay the steepest price for a Sale or a Q and make them pay! For instance, we all talk about how the wealthy teams can take on Sale or Q without blinking. That's true, but it essentially trades just the star player, and not the star player PLUS his insanely below market contract. A team like the Pirates want and frankly NEED a Sale (+ contract) or Q (+ contract) to survive. Accordingly, there is every reason to suspect that in the end they'll pay the most (and they do have a system which will allow for that).

Notice I haven't mentioned the Schlubs. Count me in among those who would only deal with the Cubs if they were literally the last team in all of baseball. And they're not. There are at least 5-6 teams who could provide the same or better return than the Cubs. Do you want Sale or Q pitching for THEM and helping them to achieve something that would sicken many of us? I sure don't, nor do we need to do so since there are so many other alternatives.

We also have a solid and fairly priced closer at a market price. Great value in Robertson to the rich kids on the block. You know the Red Sox would pay to have him as a temporary closer and then a top-tier 8th inning guy (and wouldn't be phased by the price tag). Others might too. Want him? Then pay good value -- not fair value, GOOD value! Above that threshold, best offer takes home the prize.

Frazier? Big value there to for a team that needs a bopper in this power-starved era. 1-2/5 seasons of power and decent defense has value.

Melky? Professional hitter having a really good year. With control for another year at a reasonable contract. Someone will want him and should pay.

I think the philosophy is to construct separate deals for the big-5 (with just a remote possibility of packaging Robertson in a blockbuster of blockbusters starter plus Robertson deal). Trade all 5 and the Sox should net an overall haul that might include a half-dozen Top-50 prospects, another half-dozen 51-100 guys, and likely a young stud or two just removed from that status (Betts, JBJ, Mazara -- no way the Bosox trade Bogaerts). Smoke clears and the Sox have a couple of young stud regulars we could be excited about (position players please, since we're curiously horrible in developing our own), plus 10-12 new super prospects who would likely ALL be in our top-15.

Key is to be professional and closed mouth about what we're doing. Plug the leaks. Negotiate all these deals separately and simultaneously. Announce a flurry of closed deals at the same time before the rest of the teams see what you've done en masse! This CAN be done and it should be done (even if we've never managed to execute on this before).

Use a sweetener -- I'm talking about guys like Duke and Jennings (for heaven's sake, no throw-ins like Fulmer or Adams, but feel free to throw-in a Coats or a Sanchez) -- ONLY to close a super-deal. For once, we should resist having to sweeten. Let the bidders do it!

Intentionally flogging this horse one last time ...

for ONCE we're holding some valuable cards -- an Ace (!) in Sale, a King in Quintana, and various other cards of value.

It's go-time, Rick.

Don't blow it.

Act like your job is on the line.

It is (and should be)!

good stuff cy, especially formatting :)

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 03:38 PM)
I'm just gonna go ahead and make a wish list on the Sox deadline movement:

Trade with Red Sox:

Boston gets: Chris Sale, David Robertson, Zach Duke

Chicago gets: Yoan Moncada, Andrew Benintendi, Blake Swihart, Rafael Devers, Michael Kopech, Eduardo Rodriguez, Travis Lakins

Trade with Dodgers:

Los Angeles gets: Jose Quintana

Chicago gets: Julio Urias, Jose De Leon, Alex Verdugo, Starling Heredia

Trade with Rangers:

Texas gets: Jose Abreu, Melky Cabrera, Brett Lawrie, James Shields, cash

Chicago gets: Rougned Odor, Luis Ortiz

Trade with Astros:

Houston gets: Todd Frazier

Chicago gets: Kyle Tucker, Gilberto Celestino

Obviously not all of this will happen, but it's fun to imagine how stacked our farm can be after selling.

I like each for the Sox. But I don't think any would be acceptable to the other team.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
Quintana and Robertson to Boston for Benintendi, Devers, Swihart, and Kopech is fair for both teams with BoSox paying DRob.

That's realistic for both sides., although WSox may have to throw in another player.

Betts is on a trajectory to being a truly elite hitter. They aren't trading him.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 11:30 PM)
That's realistic for both sides., although WSox may have to throw in another player.

Betts is on a trajectory to being a truly elite hitter. They aren't trading him.

If that's the deal then keep our pitchers. I only want either pitcher moved if it's a clear overpay like the Shelby Miller deal. Otherwise no reason to give them away.

Q is nearly as valuable as Sale and I would demand Mazara/Profar/Gallo or Benintendi/Devers/Moncada as a starting point for either pitcher (and I don't even like Gallo that much, I like Odor way more). Otherwise we can wait for a lesser team desperate enough to give up their whole farm system.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 01:27 AM)
If that's the deal then keep our pitchers. I only want either pitcher moved if it's a clear overpay like the Shelby Miller deal. Otherwise no reason to give them away.

Q is nearly as valuable as Sale and I would demand Mazara/Profar/Gallo or Benintendi/Devers/Moncada as a starting point for either pitcher (and I don't even like Gallo that much, I like Odor way more). Otherwise we can wait for a lesser team desperate enough to give up their whole farm system.

There are overpays and then there are Shelby Miller overpays.

The Sox can reasonably expect to receive an overpay offer, which I am sure they will, if they haven't already.

Maybe they get lucky...but you have to be open for business to enable the luck. It's getting late in the day.

Edited by GreenSox

One could argue, from another perspective, that trading young, affordable, top of the rotation starters, like Sale and Quintana is not such a good idea.

Pitching is still the most important component of a championship team, and much more difficult and expensive to acquire, than position players.

The Sox are very close to having that Post Season winning starting staff.

If J. R. really wants to win, they could much more easily fill one or two holes in the offense, than try to rebuild the entire roster. Think of it like this; even if trading Sale and Q. were to bring back a great young offensive team, from where would they build a winning starting staff? Moreover, championship teams rarely have, and don't really need to have potent hitters at every position. How many contenders have good hitters in the lower third of the order? And remember, there is no guarantee that the young players coming back would realize their lofty potential.

Add one or two bats to the Sox lineup and it suddenly looks a lot different. Imagine if they had just Lucroy as their catcher. You could find a plus defender in CF, maybe even Jackson, if he can return soon enough, and they would look just fine.

RF Eaton

SS Anderson

1B Abreu

LF Cabrera

C Lucroy

DH Morneau

3B Frazier

2B Lawrie

CT ?

On the other hand, a starting rotation of Rodon, Fulmer, Shields and two question marks is not going to win, even with a young star studded lineup.

Edited by Lillian

White Sox

Jose Abreu

Astros

AJ Reed

Daz Cameron

White Sox

Jose Quintana

Dodgers

Jose DeLeon

Alex Verdugo

Austin Barnes

Yadiel Alvarez

Starling Heredia

White Sox

David Robertson

Nationals

Erik Fedde

Michael Taylor

White Sox

Adam Eaton

Red Sox

Andrew Benitendi

Luis Basabe

White Sox

Chris Sale

Melky Cabrera

Rangers

Nomar Mazara

Jurickson Profar

Dillon Tate

Leody Taveras

Joey Gallo

Ronald Guzman

White Sox

Todd Frazier

Dionar Navarro

Mets

Kevin Plawecki

Brandon Nimmo

C Kevin Plawecki

1B AJ Reed

2B Bret Lawrie/Carlos Sanchez

3B Jurickson Profar

SS Tim Anderson

LF Brandon Nimmo / Gallo

CF Michael Taylor

RF Nomar Mazara

DH Matt Davidson/Gallo

SP Shields/Fedde

SP Rodon

SP Fulmer

SP Jose Deleon

SP Dillon Tate

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 25, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
White Sox

Jose Abreu

Astros

AJ Reed

Daz Cameron

White Sox

Jose Quintana

Dodgers

Jose DeLeon

Alex Verdugo

Austin Barnes

Yadiel Alvarez

Starling Heredia

White Sox

David Robertson

Nationals

Erik Fedde

Michael Taylor

White Sox

Adam Eaton

Red Sox

Andrew Benitendi

Luis Basabe

White Sox

Chris Sale

Melky Cabrera

Rangers

Nomar Mazara

Jurickson Profar

Dillon Tate

Leody Taveras

Joey Gallo

Ronald Guzman

White Sox

Todd Frazier

Dionar Navarro

Mets

Kevin Plawecki

Brandon Nimmo

C Kevin Plawecki

1B AJ Reed

2B Bret Lawrie/Carlos Sanchez

3B Jurickson Profar

SS Tim Anderson

LF Brandon Nimmo / Gallo

CF Michael Taylor

RF Nomar Mazara

DH Matt Davidson/Gallo

SP Shields/Fedde

SP Rodon

SP Fulmer

SP Jose Deleon

SP Dillon Tate

For so many reasons - not possible

Sale to Boston for Moncada, Rafael Devers, Michael Kopech, Eduardo Rodriguez, and Luis Alexander Basabe, Nick Linghi.

Robertson for Conforto? Mets need bullpen help and seeing what Chapman hauled it doesn't seem completely unrealistic.

Melky to Giants for Mac Williamson, Andrew Susac, and Adalberto Mejia.

Zach Duke to Texas for Ronald Guzman and Victor Payano.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

Ok, here's the crazy "sell 'em all" packages that assumes each other team's GM is Dombrowski.

1) Sale to Dodgers for Urias, Pederson, De Leon, Holmes/Montas and Verdugo

2) Quintana, Robertson and Jennings to Red Sox for Moancada, Benintendi, Devers and Swihart

3) Eaton and Duke to Cardinals for Grichuck and Flaherty

4) Frazier and Jones to Giants for Phil Bickford and Lucius Fox.

5) Melky and Lawrie to Mets for Brandon Nimmo.

So ultimately out...

Sale, Quintana, Robertson, Jennings, Eaton, Duke, Frazier, Jones, Melky, Lawrie.

In...

MLB: Pederson - CF, Swihart - OF/C, Grichuck - OF,

Prospects: Urias (#2), Moancada (#5), Devers (#14), De Leon (#20), Benintendi (#21), Flaherty (#68), Montas (#82), Verdugo (#89), Bickford (#99), Fox and Nimmo.

Add that to your current core of Anderson, Fulmer, Rodon with Collins, Burdi, Hansen, Call and Fisher all hopefully fast risers.

And then they all bust.

I joked about this in the winner thread so here we go:

White Sox get:

C Lucroy

RP Will Smith

Brewers get:

Fulmer, Adams, 3B Trey M., and Jordan Stephens

White Sox get:

OF Jay Bruce and eat all of his salary

Reds get:

Jordan Guerrero, Courtney Hawkins

White Sox get:

RP Arodys Vizcaino

Braves get:

Engel, May, Danish

JR and KW say f*** it and go for it!

LOL had to after this Cubs win. Sox giving it one last run and deplete and already bare farm system just to piss off SoxTalk.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 07:31 PM)
I joked about this in the winner thread so here we go:

White Sox get:

C Lucroy

RP Will Smith

Brewers get:

Fulmer, Adams, 3B Trey M., and Jordan Stephens

White Sox get:

OF Jay Bruce and eat all of his salary

Reds get:

Jordan Guerrero, Courtney Hawkins

White Sox get:

RP Arodys Vizcaino

Braves get:

Engel, May, Danish

JR and KW say f*** it and go for it!

LOL had to after this Cubs win. Sox giving it one last run and deplete and already bare farm system just to piss off SoxTalk.

Sadly - not enough this year even if it went down like that. 2017 would be looking nice thou. Which is scary when considering the prospect of this front office flipping a switch.

Sell, sell, sell.