Chris Sale scratched from start

Baron

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 08:50 AM)
#teamsale

#imwithhim

The dude cares more about winning then some marketing event. And quite frankly he's one of the only guy's on this team that's performed day- in/out during the multi-year s*** storm.

Reminds me of that scene in Vegas vacation. "I'm tired of this s***. I want something better!!!"

He should revolt against all star game , signing autographs with kids, and national anthem too. What do they have to do with winning? The toddler mind can't handle them.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 08:55 AM)
Hasnt he pitched in these jerseys a bunch of times before?

I don't think he pitched in the collared jerseys.

To me, this isn't about the jerseys. It's about the trade rumors making him nervous, and he found a way to act out..."You're going to trade me and give up on this team? F you. I'm not wearing these s***ty uniforms tonight either!" Next thing you know, he goes ballistic.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 08:53 AM)
Not scientific, but probably the majority of people on Sale's side are under 30, probably much younger.

I do not condon what Sale did. Totally unacceptable. I do have a problem with the punishment. This isn' Little League where a lesson is more important than winning. The White Sox chose to punish the White Sox instead of just Chris Sale.

And not that it matters, but Sale is correct about trying to sell merchandise. Why would the 1976 White Sox get a night? The only thing uglier than those uniforms was that team's performance.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)
He should revolt against all star game , signing autographs with kids, and national anthem too. What do they have to do with winning? The toddler mind can't handle them.

In his mind, signing autos for kids on a day he doesn't play, doesn't effect his ability to play. Being asked/told to wear something uncomfortable on a day he is playing, is a different story. He cares about his work. I'm 37 by the way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)
From the Paasan article:

“Right now, in the major leagues, we’ve got dopers, domestic abusers, homophobes, misogynists and even a guy who spent time in prison for a DUI hit-and-run,” one executive said. “But a uniform vandal? Dammit, we have to draw the line somewhere.”

I what he did was beyond stupid, but the he must go crowd doesn't put things in perspective. Probably just love the prospects of prospects, yet when they say he has to go, if they traded him and the prospects did not pan out would not remember according to them the Sox front office had no choice.

Sale cutting up uniforms...dumb

Sox not letting Sale pitch because of it...dumber

Sox trading Sale for whatever they can get because he cut up uniforms....dumbest

Actually I think this is more of a sign they want to keep him. If its true that this is the 4th incident of his anger issues, they needed to punish him somehow. If they are going to this extreme, I think they are trying to keep him but also modify the behavior. If they really wanted to trade him they would just let it go and who cares about the behavior.

I definitely think they should have let him pitch last night, especially at home. But the acts he took were horrible and deserve discipline, through a heavy fine....maybe make him pay for the replacements and apologize for being stupid.

And the ugliness of the uniform is beside the point.

Should be a fun day at the old ballpark. :lol:

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 07:48 AM)
Trading the number two lefty of his generation out of spite is how the White Sox end up in fourth or fifth place for another generation. Making Jose Quintana the centerpiece of the organization will ensure that we're even more irrelevant with the next generation of young fans in Chicago.

Let's not forget it was Hahn who was dissed here on this occasion...can he keep his wits about him and make the perfect trade under these conditions?

Does this happen with ANY manager...or is it simply a sign of a systemic lack of control that dates back to the last season of Ozzie at the helm (2011)?

Did Don Cooper also help contribute to the creation of an environment where Sale feels he's so special he can get away with or basically be forgiven for anything because of his unique talent level?

Why do you need to blame other people for his behavior? It his on him for his issues and actions. No one else caused this action. He's supposed to be an adult.

#teamsale

#imwithhim

The dude cares more about winning then some marketing event. And quite frankly he's one of the only guy's on this team that's performed day- in/out during the multi-year s*** storm.

Reminds me of that scene in Vegas vacation. "I'm tired of this s***. I want something better!!!"

Yes, so the proper response is to use a knife to destroy the property of others..

I think it's pretty obvious that Sale doesn't want to play for the Sox anymore. Combine that with his inability to control his anger and the quasi-dead-arm issues that he seems to suffer in September, and I don't see how he's going to be somebody that you can count on in October.

Given that, the Sox's record, the Sox's needs at at least three positions, and Sale's team-friendly contract, Hahn should look to trade him now, rather than a year or two from now. It would take a really nice package of young, ML-ready talent, but I think that the Sox would be better off if they ditched this mental case and strengthened the team in other areas.

Edited by Black_Jack29

#teamsale

#imwithhim

Are you implying that not wearing the '76 uniform gives the Sox a better chance to win?

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
If Sale was that uncomfortable in it, the answer is yes. Whether he truly was or not, only he knows.

If it truly was that big of a deal, he could have pitched today. They could have used the ill excuse. To me it shows a mental weakness in sale. I have never heard anyone use the uncomfortable uniform excuse for performance. He just didn't want to wear them and this is how he thought it was appropriate to punish the people who were going to make him do it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
If Sale was that uncomfortable in it, the answer is yes. Whether he truly was or not, only he knows.

Exactly. It's a two way street. Sale knew that the uniform was on the calendar. So did sox management. I wonder if they went to him a week or so ago to remind him, that he wouldn't be able to pick jerseys for this one start? Maybe everyone forgot?

QUOTE (captain54 @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 01:45 AM)
Where do you come up with some of this stuff? That's really not true at all. Anger management has nothing to do with intelligence or mental capacity or strength. Could be genetic, physical, cultural and social upbringing, PTSD. etc

It's like saying someone with depression, chronic anxiety, fear or has a phobia is mentally weak

Good Lord. Stick to baseball, man

Which of these things does Chris Sale have?

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
I think it's pretty obvious that Sale doesn't want to play for the Sox anymore. Combine that with his inability to control his anger and the quasi-dead-arm issues that he seems to suffer in September, and I don't see how he's going to be somebody that you can count on in October.

Given that, the Sox's record, the Sox's needs at at least three positions, and Sale's team-friendly contract, Hahn should look to trade him now, rather than a year or two from now. It would take a really nice package of young, ML-ready talent, but I think that the Sox would be better off if they ditched this mental case and strengthened the team in other areas.

If his point truly was that he was angry the team was more concerned about PR and marketing than winning, then I actually think he wants to pitch for the sox and win. He just chose an extremely childish way of making his point

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
It was no doubt a stupid, immature, ridiculous thing to do. But years from now, everyone will be laughing about it.

True, but yesterday Sale thought it was more important to show an utter lack of respect for others, including teammates.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
If it truly was that big of a deal, he could have pitched today. They could have used the ill excuse. To me it shows a mental weakness in sale. I have never heard anyone use the uncomfortable uniform excuse for performance. He just didn't want to wear them and this is how he thought it was appropriate to punish the people who were going to make him do it.

In addition, it shows that Sale has contempt for the Sox organization. If Sale was known as a happy-go-lucky type, I'm sure that his actions would've been viewed as a prank, and he would've just been verbally reprimanded and fined. But the Sox's response clearly shows that Sale wasn't just joking around, and that the Sox are tired of putting up with his crap.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, this is likely tied to the leaked rumors that the front office is currently shopping Sale, which Sale is apparently unhappy about. So, to me, the jersey incident isn't so much about the jerseys as the long-standing feud between Sale and the front office.

I'd bet anything the comfort of the uniform had nothing to do with him tearing them up.

It was a power play, being mad about the rumors of the team being torn apart in the next 8-9 days. In his warped mind, he probably thought he was being a leader and standing up for his teammates.

Listening to Rozner this morning, I agree with him...this does nothing to his trade value one way or the other. Nothing has changed there. We'll see. 197 hours until the deadline.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
If his point truly was that he was angry the team was more concerned about PR and marketing than winning, then I actually think he wants to pitch for the sox and win. He just chose an extremely childish way of making his point

Sale has been at war with Kenny Williams since his rookie season, and I think that the "more concerned about PR and marketing than winning" bit was just a reason to dump more fuel on the fire.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
I'd bet anything the comfort of the uniform had nothing to do with him tearing them up.

It was a power play, being mad about the rumors of the team being torn apart in the next 8-9 days. In his warped mind, he probably thought he was being a leader and standing up for his teammates.

Listening to Rozner this morning, I agree with him...this does nothing to his trade value one way or the other. Nothing has changed there. We'll see. 197 hours until the deadline.

Bingo