Marlins scouting Mig Gonzalez

southsider2k5

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
I think you'll be surprised.

Be realistic, no one will pay value for Sale and even if someone does, Hahn still wouldn't be set on dealing his ace, Sale may be the greatest Sox pitcher of all time when his career ends...start thinking about returns on D-Rob and Duke, maybe Melky, because that's all the "selling' this franchise will be doing this week

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 12:15 PM)
Be realistic, no one will pay value for Sale and even if someone does, Hahn still wouldn't be set on dealing his ace, Sale may be the greatest Sox pitcher of all time when his career ends...start thinking about returns on D-Rob and Duke, maybe Melky, because that's all the "selling' this franchise will be doing this week

Yeah I'm thinking the only moves we see this week involve Robertson, Duke, and Frazier. Maybe Jennings, Melky and one of Gonzalez and Shields.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 11:52 AM)
Although Kolek has awful stats and is now recovering from TJS I'd take a Gonzalez-Kolek swap in a heartbeat being that Gonzalez is a luxury and Kolek's prospect status

I think Kolek ends up being another Frankie Montas, big bodied guy destined for the back of the bullpen if he can stay healthy.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
Even though he's pitching well as of late that contract is sickening. If he's movable you have to move him. The return may not be strong (2-3 low level prospects) but his contract is too heavy on a team that already seems to have 4 set starters for next year in Sale, Q, Rodon, and Fulmer (Yes, I believe Sale and Q will remain Sox and they will)

In 2016, $10 million a year for a starting pitcher isn't that much.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)
Why would you trade Gonzalez just to trade him? He has more value to the Sox than a team like the Marlins, especially if they move Sale or Quintana.

It wouldn't be just to trade him. It would be to take advantage of a imbalanced market place on a guy that isn't really in your plans anyway. Honestly, I still expect him to self-destruct at any time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 12:35 PM)
It wouldn't be just to trade him. It would be to take advantage of a imbalanced market place on a guy that isn't really in your plans anyway. Honestly, I still expect him to self-destruct at any time.

Exactly. If a team wants to offer a solid prospect or two for him, I'd pretty much move him without hesitation.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
I think Kolek ends up being another Frankie Montas, big bodied guy destined for the back of the bullpen if he can stay healthy.

I'd like that since I can't see him sticking as a starter, his fastball maxed at 102MPH in HS...Burdi, Jones, Webb, and Kolek make for some flame throwers in our 'pen

Yep. Deal him while he actually has value, we got the guy for nothing.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
I know the pitching market is wacky, but I would be floored if the Marlins dealt the #2 overall pick from two years ago for a 32 year-old journeyman.

Yeah I don't think we will get Kolek either. We could get something for him though.

There is some trading deadline mega bong hits going on here. Kolek for Gonzalez, now Shields, the guy who at one time should have cost RH his job, and the guy who should have been released no matter how much they owed him, doesn't have a bad contract and could net a decent return.

I imagine the Sox will do something, but I think those thinking they are about to delete half their roster and get about 20 prospects with half of them in the top 50 are going to be disappointed.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
I know the pitching market is wacky, but I would be floored if the Marlins dealt the #2 overall pick from two years ago for a 32 year-old journeyman.

The only reason I threw it out there was because of the TJS for Kolek putting his future in the air to some extent, and because the market this year is just crazy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 12:48 PM)
There is some trading deadline mega bong hits going on here. Kolek for Gonzalez, now Shields, the guy who at one time should have cost RH his job, and the guy who should have been released no matter how much they owed him, doesn't have a bad contract and could net a decent return.

I imagine the Sox will do something, but I think those thinking they are about to delete half their roster and get about 20 prospects with half of them in the top 50 are going to be disappointed.

Yeah I just don't really see it personally. Just a few guys maybe.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
The only reason I threw it out there was because of the TJS for Kolek putting his future in the air to some extent, and because the market this year is just crazy.

This is why I keep adding "I would never stop laughing"

Oh Im not opposed at all to trading him, Im perfectly fine with that, I just dont think they should trade him for garbage. As you point out, there is a massive imbalance in the market place and there is no reason to let this guy go for a 20 year old out with Tommy John. I dont think he nets anything crazy, but he has value as a competent back end innings eater. I dont see the Marlins as a good trading partner because they really have no interesting pieces. If another team stepped up with something interesting, Im all ears.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
You think Kolek is an inadequate return? That would be highway robbery.

In 130 IP, he has 4.55 ERA, 1.56 WHIP, 6.7 K/9, and 5.1 BB/9. In comparison, Spencer Adams, who was drafted in the same draft, has a 3.51 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 7.3 K/9, and a 1.5 BB/9 in 284 IP and is currently in AA. From everything I've seen, not a lot of people regard Spencer Adams as that great of a prospect, so Im not even sure what I would consider Kolek. A guy that throws hard but has no control and despite his velo, doesnt strike out a lot of people? On top of that, he now has health problems? Not that interested.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
In 130 IP, he has 4.55 ERA, 1.56 WHIP, 6.7 K/9, and 5.1 BB/9. In comparison, Spencer Adams, who was drafted in the same draft, has a 3.51 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 7.3 K/9, and a 1.5 BB/9 in 284 IP and is currently in AA. From everything I've seen, not a lot of people regard Spencer Adams as that great of a prospect, so Im not even sure what I would consider Kolek. A guy that throws hard but has no control and despite his velo, doesnt strike out a lot of people? On top of that, he now has health problems? Not that interested.

You can't teach that kind of arm. The White Sox seem to have a talent for developing pitchers. To me the match up makes sense on paper.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)

You think a top 100 prospect is not enough to get that the Sox got in a dumpster dive. That would be an ideal trade getting a guy with the upside of Kolek, for basically just a guy.