Marlins scouting Mig Gonzalez

southsider2k5

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
People would appreciate Thome's time in a Sox uniform a lot more if he could ever pick up a clutch hit. 35 HR a year don't mean s*** if they're hit when it doesn't matter.

Is this sarcasm? Did you forget Game 163?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
People would appreciate Thome's time in a Sox uniform a lot more if he could ever pick up a clutch hit. 35 HR a year don't mean s*** if they're hit when it doesn't matter.

Off the top of my head I can remember a couple that were pretty clutch. One in particular got them in the playoffs. His 500th was a walk off.

Kris Bryant's OPS...927

Jim Thimes OPS in his 4 years with the White Sox.....933

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
Is this sarcasm? Did you forget Game 163?

Yes, that one HR (in a game that really meant s*** in the end) makes up for the countless strikeouts and popouts into the shift when the left side of the field was wide open. Makes sense.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:36 PM)
Yes, that one HR (in a game that really meant s*** in the end) makes up for the countless strikeouts and popouts into the shift when the left side of the field was wide open. Makes sense.

Just checked his splits and he hit far better with runners on base than with the bases empty every single season he was here.

These are his numbers with runners on:

2006: .329/.453/.658

2007: .322/.488/.650

2008: .292/.411/.571

2009: .259/.406/.551

Yeah you're wrong. And that game won them the division. So every game is meaningless if the team doesn't win it all?

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:34 PM)
Off the top of my head I can remember a couple that were pretty clutch. One in particular got them in the playoffs. His 500th was a walk off.

Kris Bryant's OPS...927

Jim Thimes OPS in his 4 years with the White Sox.....933

And what an incredible playoff run it was, odd how both of you mention the same "clutch" moment, perhaps because that was about it?

At least Kris Bryant plays the field, Thome was too busy clogging the bases to pick up a glove. Really hard to believe that guy came up as a thirdbaseman.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
Just checked his splits and he hit far better with runners on base than with the bases empty every single season he was here.

These are his numbers with runners on:

2006: .329/.453/.658

2007: .322/.488/.650

2008: .292/.411/.571

2009: .259/.406/.551

Yeah you're wrong. And that game won them the division. So every game is meaningless if the team doesn't win it all?

The vast majority of that production came early in games, guy couldn't do s*** with RISP and 2 outs in the final 3 innings of a game.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
And what an incredible playoff run it was, odd how both of you mention the same "clutch" moment, perhaps because that was about it?

At least Kris Bryant plays the field, Thome was too busy clogging the bases to pick up a glove. Really hard to believe that guy came up as a thirdbaseman.

Just like Frank Thomas. Why is he in the HOF?

I may be in the minority here but 2008 is only a step below 2005 for me. Game 163 was easily a top 3 sports moment for me, and it helps that I hated the Twins far more than any other team in sports during those years, so ruining their season was extra special. Yeah they didn't go far in the playoffs but I will still remember that year very fondly.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:45 PM)
Just like Frank Thomas. Why is he in the HOF?

Frank Thomas was a tight end at Auburn, hell of an athlete, Jim Thome could barely walk without tripping over his own feet. And at least Frank could hit for average and avoid strikeouts, that's what got him into the hall, where's Thome's plaque?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)
The vast majority of that production came early in games, guy couldn't do s*** with RISP and 2 outs in the final 3 innings of a game.

So big hits early in the game don't count? You're really trying hard to not give the guy any credit.

Also, you're still wrong.

Innings 7-9:

2006: .246/.422/.566

2007: .285/.418/.520

2008: .211/.349/.458

2009: .234/.321/.427

2008 and 2009 are a step down but it's far from "couldn't do a s***" territory (and 2008 his OPS was still over .800 in those innings). Also, RISP with 2 outs in the late innings are not the only times you can get a big hit.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:45 PM)
I may be in the minority here but 2008 is only a step below 2005 for me. Game 163 was easily a top 3 sports moment for me, and it helps that I hated the Twins far more than any other team in sports during those years, so ruining their season was extra special. Yeah they didn't go far in the playoffs but I will still remember that year very fondly.

That homerun is immediately mitigated by the fact that he went 2 for 16 against Tampa in the ALDS, he pretty much single-handedly sunk their season with his playoff performance. Or do playoff at bats not count as clutch situations?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:50 PM)
So big hits early in the game don't count? You're really trying hard to not give the guy any credit.

Also, you're still wrong.

Innings 7-9:

2006: .246/.422/.566

2007: .285/.418/.520

2008: .211/.349/.458

2009: .234/.321/.427

2008 and 2009 are a step down but it's far from "couldn't do a s***" territory (and 2008 his OPS was still over .800 in those innings). Also, RISP with 2 outs in the late innings are not the only times you can get a big hit.

Those batting averages just further prove my point, guy was paid $15M a year to jog to 1B.

And RISP with 2 outs in the final 3 innings may not be the "only" clutch situations (debatable) but I think we can all agree they're the most important. Thanks again for proving my point.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:51 PM)
That homerun is immediately mitigated by the fact that he went 2 for 16 against Tampa in the ALDS, he pretty much single-handedly sunk their season with his playoff performance. Or do playoff at bats not count as clutch situations?

So he had a bad series, he wasn't the only one. Singlehandedly? Vazquez, Buehrle, Floyd, Alexei, Cabrera, and Griffey didn't do s*** either. Why point the finger solely at Thome? Seriously what do you have against the guy?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:51 PM)

That is why Frank Thomas sucks. 2 postseason series he hit .000. Take his plaque back

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 06:55 PM)
Those batting averages just further prove my point, guy was paid $15M a year to jog to 1B.

And RISP with 2 outs in the final 3 innings may not be the "only" clutch situations (debatable) but I think we can all agree they're the most important. Thanks again for proving my point.

Batting average is a fairly meaningless stat when you can hit for power, what are you talking about? And I just showed that he wasn't even bad in those situations.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
Not to mention he didn't get to partake in 2005. That was why it was bittersweet for me.

His 12 HR in 34 games that year was pretty cool though. At least he wasn't hurt the entire season and was productive when he did play.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 07:11 PM)
I don't know what I find more funny. Kal's troll posts or the fact that people here actually believe he was serious.

I prefer "intentionally obtuse" and it's meant to prove a larger point, though this one is a bit of a deep cut.

1.) These are the kind of bulls*** arguments I was fighting 10 years ago, Thome was incredibly productive during his time here but people refused to see it, good to know his time in a Sox uniform has aged gracefully. Though, shame on you guys for not mentioning the pinch hit homer at PNC, they may have lost the game but that s*** was amazing.

2.) Hatchetman is a pitiful troll, up your f***ing game, you're embarrassing yourself.