Jose Abreu

ronkark

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 09:13 AM)
The 2 Abreu homers went 430 and 465 ft. The 465 footer was the longest HR at Target field in the Stat-Cast era.

Absolute BOMBS

http://m.mlb.com/video/?affiliateId=clubMEGAMENU

Oh yea Jose is back. With the addition of a few players, this offense is going to be much improved next season. This is what I want to see:

Fowler

Eaton

Abreu

Frazier

Cabrera

Moreland

Wieters

Lawrie/Saladino

Anderson

Really digging the balance of that lineup - speed at the top and bottom, high OBP at the top, and power in the middle. That's a lineup combined with top 3 in the league pitching that can win a lot of games.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
I maintain that he was only really cold in April and May. He had a homer drought in July but still hit a lot of doubles and had a good BA and he had a pretty good June all around

He had 8 RBI in July.... I guess June was decent.

Edited by harkness

We've been losing, we've been losing in a way that's easier to handle (bad non core players being unbelievably bad rather than core players sucking)

Jose did it, he didn't just start hitting "normally" he had that unreal hot streak that lets you know he's still capable of a magic season.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
Absolute BOMBS

http://m.mlb.com/video/?affiliateId=clubMEGAMENU

Oh yea Jose is back. With the addition of a few players, this offense is going to be much improved next season. This is what I want to see:

Fowler

Eaton

Abreu

Frazier

Cabrera

Moreland

Wieters

Lawrie/Saladino

Anderson

Really digging the balance of that lineup - speed at the top and bottom, high OBP at the top, and power in the middle. That's a lineup combined with top 3 in the league pitching that can win a lot of games.

Would you be in favor of forfeiting a draft pick in the 11-15 range in order to sign Dexter Fowler? I would not.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
I can get on board with Reddick. I think he will end up signing for less than a 5/$90-100 that I saw predicted for him a few months ago. This of course pushes Eaton to CF.

Which, of course, seriously dents the value of the signing.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
Reddick is a good RF. Maybe move one of them to left and acquire a CF making Melky the DH? I really want them to bring back Morneau though.

As of right now, here's the list of CFs available as free agents this offseason:

Michael Bourn (34)

Yoenis Cespedes (31) — can opt out of remaining two years, $47.5MM on current contract

Coco Crisp (37) — $13MM vesting/club option with a $750K buyout

Rajai Davis (35)

Ian Desmond (31)

Dexter Fowler (31) — $9MM mutual option with a $5MM buyout

Carlos Gomez (31)

Austin Jackson (30)

Jon Jay (32)

Cameron Maybin (30) — $9MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Drew Stubbs (32)

Several of those guys are people you really don't seem to want in CF any more - Cespedes for example is better as a corner OF. Gomez had a terrible year with both the glove and the bat. A couple guys - Jackson, Crisp, are either up there in age or seem like backups at this point. Jay has played 120+ games once since 2012, Rajai Davis seems to hit a ceiling of 450 PAs and will be entering his late 30s.

Basically that leaves you needing to sign Fowler or Desmond to make an impact in CF, or you're going to have to trade for someone.

Not sure I'm a fan of any of those options, but that's the list.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 6, 2016 -> 08:04 AM)
RBI is dependent on other players, can't hang all of that on Jose

Of course I wouldn't lay that all on him.. .but his batting avg with runners in scoring position was in the .260's if i recall.

I also remember reading that he was leading/near the top the MLB in runners LOB

Edited by harkness

I wonder what kind of person Jose is. Salt of the earth? Good guy? Lazy? A dick? I know nothing about him. He's obviously having one helluva year thanks to his second-half tear (when we were out of the race). He's an all star right now. I'm not blasting him, just curious if he's one of the top five hitters in the AL or what we've got here??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 06:58 PM)
I wonder what kind of person Jose is. Salt of the earth? Good guy? Lazy? A dick? I know nothing about him. He's obviously having one helluva year thanks to his second-half tear (when we were out of the race). He's an all star right now. I'm not blasting him, just curious if he's one of the top five hitters in the AL or what we've got here??

He is the tem's nomimee for the Roberto Clemente Award, so he probably is a pretty decent guy.

He seems pretty sharp. Also always strikes me as laid back. He doesn't seem to react, or get too high or too low.

Watch more baseball.

Soft spoken, extremely friendly. Courteous. A bit star struck sometimes. Strong handshake. Will attempt to speak what little English he knows for the sake of an interviewer.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 01:09 AM)
Watch more baseball.

Why so mean?

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 01:25 AM)
Jose is the best. Has kept head down in that insane clubhouse, always gracious.

Nice.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 8, 2016 -> 02:35 AM)
Soft spoken, extremely friendly. Courteous. A bit star struck sometimes. Strong handshake. Will attempt to speak what little English he knows for the sake of an interviewer.

Sounds good.

Jose starts finally producing when it doesn't matter and people keep calling me out? Too bad he couldn't do it back when it mattered. I'll reiterate what I've previously said. Jose isn't what we thought he was. The league adjusted to him after his rookie year. He is a mid-tier first baseman.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)
Jose starts finally producing when it doesn't matter and people keep calling me out? Too bad he couldn't do it back when it mattered. I'll reiterate what I've previously said. Jose isn't what we thought he was. The league adjusted to him after his rookie year. He is a mid-tier first baseman.

What did you think he was, then?

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)

So the league adjusted to him and only decided to pitch to his weaknesses when games mattered for the White Sox, and then stopped giving a s*** when the Sox fell out of contention?