Jose Abreu

ronkark

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jose Abreu leads the Majors with 20 RBIs in 12 September games.

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/776092449534083072

Dating back to August 4, Abreu is slashing .382/.422/.658 with 12 homers and 38 RBI in 37 games

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/776092555394027521

In his 32 games prior to this stretch, Abreu slashed .274/.326/.339 with zero homers and nine RBIs all per MLB Network notes

https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/776092672532615168

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
You can attribute some of those RBIs to eaton's incredible september as well.

I don't know what it looks like for sure, but it feels like he is cashing in with RISP at a much higher rate over the last month or two. It seems like he just isn't missing out in clutch situations right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
I don't know what it looks like for sure, but it feels like he is cashing in with RISP at a much higher rate over the last month or two. It seems like he just isn't missing out in clutch situations right now.

I'm sure he has, but also seems like either Anderson or Eaton are on every time.

From SSS:

Eaton September

.400/.464/.640

That'll do pig, that'll do.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
Jose, as of right now, is hitting .300 with 24 HR and 95 RBI. There is an outside chance that he gets .300 30 HR 100 RBI again. Considering where he was at the all star break, thats just crazy

We have to accept the fact he's one of the better hitters in the game of baseball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
We have to accept the fact he's one of the better hitters in the game of baseball.

Maybe in the second half, but as a whole, I don't think so.

Jose is a bit weird in that his seasons are somewhat inconsistent. He's one type of hitter in one half and a totally different type in the other.

Take 2014 for example. He hit a lot of homers in the first half and then his HR total dipped in the second half, but he hit for a much higher average.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
Maybe in the second half, but as a whole, I don't think so.

Jose is a bit weird in that his seasons are somewhat inconsistent. He's one type of hitter in one half and a totally different type in the other.

Take 2014 for example. He hit a lot of homers in the first half and then his HR total dipped in the second half, but he hit for a much higher average.

Is that necessarily bad?

Depends on your definition. He is currently 45th in MLB among qualifiers in wOBA. In the first half, he was 120th; in the second half, he is 10th.

When it mattered this year, he was terrible. When it did not matter, he has been great.

Edited by maggsmaggs

My lord, you f***ing people.

Do you seriously strangle splits for "when it mattered" with other players in other eras? With other players on other teams?

Math nerds, please do me a favor and tell me how many more wins Jose Abreu would have netted us if his second half was his first half.

Add that total to the Sox's win total and tell me if we're in contention yet because Jose Abreu hit "when it mattered"

By the way - newsflash - if it turns out that Jose Abreu wouldn't have made a difference by himself "when it mattered" then guess what

IT DIDN'T MATTER.

JFC. A lot of you are looking WAY TOO HARD to find ways in which Jose Abreu had a bad season.

I'm sorry, but Jose Abreu did not have a bad season. His season will end up being very, very similar to last season. Last season was a good season. Not spectacular, but good.

If Jose Abreu had the 4 more home runs in the first half to make his numbers "acceptable", and if every one of those home runs turned a loss into a win, the Sox would still be out of contention.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)

Do you seriously strangle splits for "when it mattered" with other players in other eras? With other players on other teams?

Math nerds, please do me a favor and tell me how many more wins Jose Abreu would have netted us if his second half was his first half.

Add that total to the Sox's win total and tell me if we're in contention yet because Jose Abreu hit "when it mattered"

By the way - newsflash - if it turns out that Jose Abreu wouldn't have made a difference by himself "when it mattered" then guess what

IT DIDN'T MATTER.

JFC. A lot of you are looking WAY TOO HARD to find ways in which Jose Abreu had a bad season.

I'm sorry, but Jose Abreu did not have a bad season. His season will end up being very, very similar to last season. Last season was a good season. Not spectacular, but good.

If Jose Abreu had the 4 more home runs in the first half to make his numbers "acceptable", and if every one of those home runs turned a loss into a win, the Sox would still be out of contention.

You sound angry.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)

IT DIDN'T MATTER.

This. All this. The Sox got nothing out of DH, CF, and pretty much C this season. Abreu had a good year, he wasn't the problem. The bullpen and back of the rotation were largely horses*** as well.

Edited by Dunt

I have to to be honest, I am just glad he had a second half like this. I thought the league figured him out. It is great to see leading into next season that he is still a middle of the order bat.

I just think its start transitioning him into a DH. It happens to many 1st baseman when they get older. He does not need to be a full time DH as I do believe it is a transition to mentally stay in the game as a DH. But, the Sox would be wise either to have Mrorneau play more 1st base next year or sign a true 1st baseman.

Players do have tough years hitting. Certainly McCutchen has gone through it this year. You can point to our own Konerko. I don't think you can blame Jose for the failure of this team.

Certainly, you can blame Frazier for not only developing an upper cut home happy swing but his fielding was league average as well.

Going forward, I am pretty optimistic for the Sox. I know that is strange for this board but they have several things working for them.

-Tim Anderson seems like a quality major league shortstop. This is the first position player developed in awhile.

-They seemed to have a great draft so far. Probably the best in the big leagues.

- Both Quintana and Sale stayed healthy and pitched like aces

- Miguel Gonzalez seems like a quality back end of arm of the rotation to replace Danks.

-Adam Eaton has turned into the best right fielder in the game.

I am torn between going for it next year and rebuilding. I still lean toward trading Sale. Next years Free Agent crop is not very good. I think it would be hard to add the necessary pieces to put this team over the top. Plus, I think the Sox could probably get a good bidding war going between the Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 12:58 PM)
You're not wrong.

The man is having an absolutely torrid second half, and deserves unqualified praise for it.

It's kind of funny how we've always complained about the Sox not finishing well in September. Yet here we are in September and Jose Abreu is one of the hottest hitters in baseball.

Everytime i read this i wonder why i have to accept it, as if i am denying it or it makes me dislike Abreu for it

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
Greg is upset that all the feels from Abreu seeing his son led to greatest offensive stretch in history.

But, remember the movie Hook? Jack totally choked when his dad didn't show up until late.

Gotta clarify that it's Greg H. man.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
This. All this. The Sox got nothing out of DH, CF, and pretty much C this season. Abreu had a good year, he wasn't the problem. The bullpen and back of the rotation were largely horses*** as well.

Yup. If everyone is even close to average, Abreu would have been pushing us to the playoffs right now.

QUOTE (kwill @ Sep 16, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
I have to to be honest, I am just glad he had a second half like this. I thought the league figured him out. It is great to see leading into next season that he is still a middle of the order bat.

I just think its start transitioning him into a DH. It happens to many 1st baseman when they get older. He does not need to be a full time DH as I do believe it is a transition to mentally stay in the game as a DH. But, the Sox would be wise either to have Mrorneau play more 1st base next year or sign a true 1st baseman.

Players do have tough years hitting. Certainly McCutchen has gone through it this year. You can point to our own Konerko. I don't think you can blame Jose for the failure of this team.

Certainly, you can blame Frazier for not only developing an upper cut home happy swing but his fielding was league average as well.

Going forward, I am pretty optimistic for the Sox. I know that is strange for this board but they have several things working for them.

-Tim Anderson seems like a quality major league shortstop. This is the first position player developed in awhile.

-They seemed to have a great draft so far. Probably the best in the big leagues.

- Both Quintana and Sale stayed healthy and pitched like aces

- Miguel Gonzalez seems like a quality back end of arm of the rotation to replace Danks.

-Adam Eaton has turned into the best right fielder in the game.

I am torn between going for it next year and rebuilding. I still lean toward trading Sale. Next years Free Agent crop is not very good. I think it would be hard to add the necessary pieces to put this team over the top. Plus, I think the Sox could probably get a good bidding war going between the Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox.

If you trade Sale, you trade everyone on the major league roster outside of Rodon, Anderson and Saladino.