Jose Abreu

ronkark

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
It's great that Abreu forgot how to hit homeruns. Huge, huge disappointment. Hopefully the sox find some sucker who thinks he is still a starting caliber first basemen. He just isn't this year. Trade him away.

If he sucks that bad, why would someone else want him?

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
You are right. Especially after what he has done this year I'd be ecstatic. He was 25th in MLB OPS last year. Let's throw a party.

"It would be unreasonable to be disappointed" = "Let's throw a party". Got it.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
If he sucks that bad, why would someone else want him?

Exactly. Reread my post. I hope some poor sucker thinks Abreu is the player he used to be. Maybe some GM will overpay for him.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
I'd like to hear your take on Paul Konerko's 2003 season and his value overall as a player for this organization.

Sorry, I'm just a realist who knows .295 hitters occasionally have bad months or even "bad half seasons" - christ, if that's what we're calling this.

somehow I'm pretty fine with him hitting .276 even with garbage power numbers, because I expect him to have 30-40 homer seasons regularly in the future.

This isn't some Gordon Beckham type dropoff. He just had a s*** April and hasn't hit homers.

ARe you really comparing him to Konerko? He hasn't earned it. He's had two good years of offense. None of defense. Konerko was MUCH better defensive player. Range? Not so much. Jose even less. But paul much better hands and much better thrower and much better decision maker. And much better clutch hitter. Yes he had a bad 03 after 4 stellar full seasons.

And are you really reading this season as a bad april and lack of power and that's it? Horrid defense. Horrible with runners on in key postions. 8 rbi in july. That's not power. That's productivity. So tell me again how he's had a good July. Happened again tonight. He's the master of the dinky grounder and chasing the same pitches out the zone he has for 3 years.

QUOTE (ronkark @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
ARe you really comparing him to Konerko? He hasn't earned it. He's had two good years of offense. None of defense. Konerko was MUCH better defensive player. Range? Not so much. Jose even less. But paul much better hands and much better thrower and much better decision maker. And much better clutch hitter. Yes he had a bad 03 after 4 stellar full seasons.

And are you really reading this season as a bad april and lack of power and that's it? Horrid defense. Horrible with runners on in key postions. 8 rbi in july. That's not power. That's productivity. So tell me again how he's had a good July. Happened again tonight. He's the master of the dinky grounder and chasing the same pitches out the zone he has for 3 years.

Konerko had 4 good seasons of offense when he had 2003. So yes....I'm comparing him because it's an extraordinarily apt comparison. Konerko also had a much much worse than Abreu that year.

As for Abreu's glove....ok, fine. I don't need a 1B to be spectacular especially since we need a DH long term.

Yes, 8 RBI in July. How many RBI in June? How many homers in June?

How small of a sample size are you gonna strangle to make your point?

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)
His mechanics suck at the plate. He jams himself so much, and he is unable to turn on anything because of his approach.

He can't catch up to a fastball besides to occasionally slap one to right field... when he does get around on a fast ball its usually a groundball to shortstop.

He pops up hanging breaking balls...

Oh and he leads the majors in swinging at balls out of the strike zone....

QUOTE (harkness @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 05:05 AM)
He can't catch up to a fastball besides to occasionally slap one to right field... when he does get around on a fast ball its usually a groundball to shortstop.

He pops up hanging breaking balls...

Oh and he leads the majors in swinging at balls out of the strike zone....

Looks like he's cheating a bit to lunge after the slider away, as he doesn't trust his zone discipline. That lunge is leading to numerous issues.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 11:06 PM)
Looks like he's cheating a bit to lunge after the slider away, as he doesn't trust his zone discipline. That lunge is leading to numerous issues.

He just looks like he's up there guessing instead of reacting...in every at bat and has lost complete confidence in himself.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 06:07 PM)
any chance we can keep his son here?

Problem is i worry about him reverting back to being not good when his son leaves. Hes having a done year and with him getting to see his son and family in cuba in the offseason and having to leave them and come back has to be playing with his emotions. Alexie would carry emotions with him in seasons and it affected him. I honestly could see the same thing for abreu. For the sake of the sox they need him to be mentally strong and preform like the player hes capable of.