Jose Abreu

ronkark

Soooooo....lemme get this straight...we need LaRoche's son to be gone...but now we need Abreu's son to be here all the time!? Maybe he's the missing leader on this team now that Drake is gone!? What a circus! Do other teams go through what we go through!?!?!??!?!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FT35 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 08:12 AM)
Soooooo....lemme get this straight...we need LaRoche's son to be gone...but now we need Abreu's son to be here all the time!? Maybe he's the missing leader on this team now that Drake is gone!? What a circus! Do other teams go through what we go through!?!?!??!?!

A little different. Abreu has seen his son twice in 3 years. LaRoche saw his son every single day. Of course he misses his son.

You have got to be joking. Please tell me you are joking.

Um, no?

Or he might have hit 3 home runs in 4 games because Jose Abreu is a very good major league baseball player who, for whatever reason, happened to have his first career "slump" for the first four months of this season. Which wasn't even that bad, to be honest.

But yes, by all means, let's keep strangling the sideplots to make sense of the current hot streak

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 09:01 AM)
All I have to say is that I sincerely hope that Abreu isn't Carlos Quentin or Gordon Beckham part II.

A spectacular season followed by mediocrity which proved that the player wasn't for real and it was all just a flash in the pan in the beginning.

I think his 2015 might be his true talent level. A good to very good hitter, maybe not a great hitter. And that's fine, and he's still a bargain at his contract.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
All I have to say is that I sincerely hope that Abreu isn't Carlos Quentin or Gordon Beckham part II.

A spectacular season followed by mediocrity which proved that the player wasn't for real and it was all just a flash in the pan in the beginning.

Beckham and Abreu don't belong in the same sentence.

And Abreu was great in both 2014 and 2015, not just one season.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)

You should feel bad for this post.

He only got to see his son for the first time in 3 years because the President ended hostilities between the US and Cuba.

Why should he feel bad for that post?

Regardless of Jose's personal circumstances, it's ludicrous that the White Sox have cultivated an atmosphere where we as fans wonder whether the absence or presence of a child makes a difference on players paid millions to play baseball.

It truly is a circus.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)

Regardless of Jose's personal circumstances, it's ludicrous that the White Sox have cultivated an atmosphere where we as fans wonder whether the absence or presence of a child makes a difference on players paid millions to play baseball.

It truly is a circus.

Just because someone is a professional baseball player, it doesn't mean he is super-human and can disconnect himself from his family like it never happened. I can tell you that most fathers would be destroyed mentally by going years without seeing their kid/s. This isn't a White Sox thing. This is a human thing. Any thought to the contrary is ridiculous.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)

It truly is a circus.

Because comparing a man being separated from his infant son for three years due to lingering cold war politics is a lot different than a man taking his son out of school during the season so he can be with the team and partake in drills.

And no one is saying let Abreu have his son in the clubhouse every day. It's his kid is gonna go back to Cuba, which can have emotional pain.

But the original point of the comment to make this was not making this about some personal thing about Jose.

Yes, we are all sympathetic about Jose's situation, and wish he could have seen his son whenever he wanted to.

However, I think this is more about the circus atmosphere the White Sox have cultivated, where fans are left in a thread to wonder about whether the presence or absence of a player's child might make or break a team.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
But the original point of the comment to make this was not making this about some personal thing about Jose.

Yes, we are all sympathetic about Jose's situation, and wish he could have seen his son whenever he wanted to.

However, I think this is more about the circus atmosphere the White Sox have cultivated, where fans are left in a thread to wonder about whether the presence or absence of a player's child might make or break a team.

No, you're just flat out wrong as SS2K and Q have stated.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)

You are trying to make a leap that isn't there. It doesn't matter how PR solid an organization is, the absence of a child is going to be a horrible disruption for 99% of people, White Sox player or not.

It is also ignoring some pretty ridiculous stuff that happens in other organizations that we just don't focus on as White Sox fans. The Puig situation is the most recent example. The Chapman dueling press conferences is another great one.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)
I can't imagine what it's been like for Jose. Had no idea he has been separated from his son for this long. I can understand that affecting your work life.

And this is coming from one of Jose's harshest critics on this board.

I know its unrelated and circumstances are different, but i remember a couple of years back Alexei was horrible and always making inexcusable errors as well as bat being in a coma. Later in the year we heard about (father in law? got killed) Weighed on him so much. Even Ozzie once said how Latin players take things much more emotionally that others. Next year after that.. Alexei had a great year. So.. Abreu not just seeing his son, but who knows if there were any other matters of his kids well being that we are unaware of.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
I know its unrelated and circumstances are different, but i remember a couple of years back Alexei was horrible and always making inexcusable errors as well as bat being in a coma. Later in the year we heard about (father in law? got killed) Weighed on him so much. Even Ozzie once said how Latin players take things much more emotionally that others. Next year after that.. Alexei had a great year. So.. Abreu not just seeing his son, but who knows if there were any other matters of his kids well being that we are unaware of.

And the year after that, Minnie died and Alexei was abysmal.

When I talked to Alexei last October he broke down into tears when talking about Minnie.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
How many times did Jose Abreu see his son during the 2015 season?

How many times did Jose Abreu see his son during the 2014 season?

Was his performance affected by not seeing his son during the 2014 or 2015 season?

He didn't love his son as much in 2014. Publicly said so.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)

It truly is a circus.

It has nothing to do with the White Sox cultivating anything. It is about a father and a son. It may just be coincidental he started hitting with authority around the same time his son was arriving. Or maybe not. Maybe it has nothing to do with it. But it wouldn't be the first time a parent struggled with being separated from their child.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 06:22 PM)
It has nothing to do with the White Sox cultivating anything. It is about a father and a son. It may just be coincidental he started hitting with authority around the same time his son was arriving. Or maybe not. Maybe it has nothing to do with it. But it wouldn't be the first time a parent struggled with being separated from their child.

Did he have his son around last season or in 2014?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 06:26 PM)
Did he have his son around last season or in 2014?

No but things change. He did see him in the winter, maybe the bond tightened , maybe there are other circumstances or maybe it's coincidental. All I know is the guy went 2 months without hitting a homer and suddenly has 3 in 4 games right when the kid is arriving. Maybe one less thing on his mind did the trick. Maybe he won't hit another homer the rest of the year. We don't know but perhaps it had something to do with it