Jose Abreu

ronkark

So a guy goes three years without being able to see his son on a regular basis and all the sudden people know that it shouldn't impact his performance because he was able to get through it in 2014/2015

I don't know about any of you, but the longer I went without being able to see my kids the worse I would get. It is crazy that any of you think it shouldn't matter, because it does.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
How many times did Jose Abreu see his son during the 2015 season?

How many times did Jose Abreu see his son during the 2014 season?

Was his performance affected by not seeing his son during the 2014 or 2015 season?

It's possible that Abreu's slow and steady decline over the last few seasons has something to do with being apart from his family. I would imagine that as time goes on it becomes tougher for Jose to be without his family.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)
So a guy goes three years without being able to see his son on a regular basis and all the sudden people know that it shouldn't impact his performance because he was able to get through it in 2014/2015

I don't know about any of you, but the longer I went without being able to see my kids the worse I would get. It is crazy that any of you think it shouldn't matter, because it does.

It matters... if it effects his performance on the field or not isn't something we really know or can measure.

It could have an effect for sure.. but we really don't know that.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 08:33 PM)
Let's keep his son in the clubhouse at all times. No matter how bad it ends up making us look.

Nobody said that. His son is in the US, finally able to visit his father. Not even close to the same thing

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 08:45 PM)
I'm not savvy on Cuban politics but why the heck is it so difficult for Abreu to get his family here?

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/131616274/th...ave-close-bond/

Seems like a combination of citizenship and his sons mother having custody

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
This thread is overheating from the takes.

No kidding.

The ole "If I was making 20 million to play baseball I would have no personal feelings or family ties. I'd never smoke or drink. I'd be in locker room all day and be perfect" takes

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 06:17 PM)
Does anyone think Abreu will opt-out and go to arbitration at the end of the season?

Not a chance. The current record for a 1st year arbitration eligible position player is the $10 million Ryan Howard received in 2008. By that point he had already won an MVP. Abreu is due $10.5 million next year per Cot's Baseball Contracts. He may break Howard's record as that will be a nine year old record at that point but even if he does it won't be by much. It would be dumb in my opinion to give up a guaranteed $23.5 million in 2018 and 2019 to possibly get an extra couple in 2017. Especially considering the year he has had. I think you'll more likely see him opt out after next if he has a better year. At that point he could stand to make an extra $3 million or so in each 2018 and 2019. That might be more worth the risk.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)

jaeowijfweoaijfweojaoifjwaoejif ARE PEOPLE SERIOUS?!!?

Flip it around so: So you he goes 3 years without seeing his son and YOU KNOW IT DOES AND IS THE REASON ITS IMPACTING HIS PERFORMANCE???? come on man.

Yes people love their kids. That has nothing to do with baseball. My god. This is so soft. Do you really think there is any correspondence?

So we're saying there is a 91mph slider coming in low and away in 2014. Because his son was 8 months old at the time he didn't miss him as much and during that split second he lays off that pitch?

BUT WAIT!

It's 2016. Now that slider is coming in on a 2-2 count, the same exact fricking slider, but he has a more in depth bond with his son, which causes more sadness, so he swings at that pitch???

GTFO

This is the same type of argument that is made when they say "oh you can't move such and such from SS to CF - it'll hurt his development at the plate beceause he is focusing to much on the defensive shift"

It's pathetic making excuses. These guys go up to a plate 3-4 times a game for a total of 3-4 minutes. They can leave any personal issues at the door.

I'm about done with this board for the year. I can't take reading this anymore.

Call me when spring training fluff pieces begin.

Also for the sake of this argument I Hope Abreu goes 2 for his next 98 while his son is around.

I'm out.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
jaeowijfweoaijfweojaoifjwaoejif ARE PEOPLE SERIOUS?!!?

Flip it around so: So you he goes 3 years without seeing his son and YOU KNOW IT DOES AND IS THE REASON ITS IMPACTING HIS PERFORMANCE???? come on man.

Yes people love their kids. That has nothing to do with baseball. My god. This is so soft. Do you really think there is any correspondence?

So we're saying there is a 91mph slider coming in low and away in 2014. Because his son was 8 months old at the time he didn't miss him as much and during that split second he lays off that pitch?

BUT WAIT!

It's 2016. Now that slider is coming in on a 2-2 count, the same exact fricking slider, but he has a more in depth bond with his son, which causes more sadness, so he swings at that pitch???

GTFO

This is the same type of argument that is made when they say "oh you can't move such and such from SS to CF - it'll hurt his development at the plate beceause he is focusing to much on the defensive shift"

It's pathetic making excuses. These guys go up to a plate 3-4 times a game for a total of 3-4 minutes. They can leave any personal issues at the door.

I'm about done with this board for the year. I can't take reading this anymore.

Call me when spring training fluff pieces begin.

Also for the sake of this argument I Hope Abreu goes 2 for his next 98 while his son is around.

I'm out.

Brian-Anderson.jpg

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
No kidding.

The ole "If I was making 20 million to play baseball I would have no personal feelings or family ties. I'd never smoke or drink. I'd be in locker room all day and be perfect" takes

What's actually nauseating about this thread is that several people are being sanctimonious to others about the impact of not seeing one's child on one's baseball stats, when this thread was actually intended to be the next nail in the coffin about Jose Abreu being "figured out" or his career being "finished."

Would the lot of you please get off of your damned high horse and see the forest for the trees, here? JFC, the explanations aren't even consistent. If he was missing his son, why just for the first four months of 2016 specifically was it a factor? Yes, I have no doubt it gets harder as more time passes. However....who the f*** is anyone to tell me that 2 seasons was fine but the 3rd is harder? What the actual f***, guys?

Would you guys care to look at Royce Clayton's personal life and tell me what was going on with him that accounted for his abysmal first half in 2001? Maybe if we look hard enough under a rock, we can find personal reasons why Frank Thomas struggled specifically in 1998 with average and 1999 with power numbers. While we are at it, why not explain away a million other things about Adam Dunn, or anyone else over the years in terms of their personal circumstances at the time?

In fact, why don't we have a sub-forum with 25 individual threads detailing the day-to-day personal struggles of each member of this team?

...let me bring this thread back into focus with what should have been said three pages ago

3 home runs in 4 games should put to bed this NONSENSE that Jose Abreu is "finished" as a major league hitter or that major league pitching has categorically "figured him out"

...REGARDLESS OF HIS PERSONAL CIRCUMSTANCES.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
What's actually nauseating about this thread is that several people are being sanctimonious to others about the impact of not seeing one's child on one's baseball stats, when this thread was actually intended to be the next nail in the coffin about Jose Abreu being "figured out" or his career being "finished."

Would the lot of you please get off of your damned high horse and see the forest for the trees, here? JFC, the explanations aren't even consistent. If he was missing his son, why just for the first four months of 2016 specifically was it a factor? Yes, I have no doubt it gets harder as more time passes. However....who the f*** is anyone to tell me that 2 seasons was fine but the 3rd is harder? What the actual f***, guys?

Would you guys care to look at Royce Clayton's personal life and tell me what was going on with him that accounted for his abysmal first half in 2001? Maybe if we look hard enough under a rock, we can find personal reasons why Frank Thomas struggled specifically in 1998 with average and 1999 with power numbers. While we are at it, why not explain away a million other things about Adam Dunn, or anyone else over the years in terms of their personal circumstances at the time?

In fact, why don't we have a sub-forum with 25 individual threads detailing the day-to-day personal struggles of each member of this team?

...let me bring this thread back into focus with what should have been said three pages ago

3 home runs in 4 games should put to bed this NONSENSE that Jose Abreu is "finished" as a major league hitter or that major league pitching has categorically "figured him out"

...REGARDLESS OF HIS PERSONAL CIRCUMSTANCES.

THANK YOU!!

It's beyond me people are using this argument. I feel like I'm listening to a Pardon My Take Podcast on Barstool.

Also, not to get the last word. I'll continue to read the board and appreciate the level-headed posts. But I can't post in a Sox downturn --- a number of posters grasp at straws and throw out ridiculous takes on what this team needs to do. Maybe we should sign Tim Tebow .............

Also my hoping for 2 for 98 is not necessarily a bad thing - it would probably help us get a protected draft pick, hah

And I actually am a strong, diehard Sox fan - a dumb one, but a diehard one. I've had season tickets every year since graduating college. I watch 130+ games a year and never mind any of that.... I understand the game. Go back and read my posts if you want - they generally are pretty thought through.

So with all that see y'all next year. For those who post thoughtful, fact checked and based statements and use that information to develop and share insight -- THANK YOU and that is the reason I'll still read this board.

The others? You're the reason I'll get up out of my seats and move so I don't have to hear about how Brett "Lorrie" and "Tom" Anderson make a great infield. Thanks for being a fan - but get it together.