Jose Abreu

ronkark

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
What ought to concern is...

What we saw in August is sort of how the White Sox are supposed to work right? Abreu putting up MVP numbers, Rodon Quintana and Sale all putting up ERAs under 3 for the month, production from the DH spot, normal numbers from Eaton, good numbers from Anderson, production from the catcher's spot, hell even a great 1/2 month from Garcia , he back 3 in the bullpen all present and healthy (Jones, Robertson, Jennings).

And given all that, they still went 12-15 in the month. Fine, add in some extra bullpen depth and pretend no one gets hurt and that goes up to 13-14 wins...but man. Abreu's hitting like this and even then they're still a .500 team.

L

Leave out Duke was traded, Petricka and Putnam not there, Gonzalez hurt, 40% of the rotation a gas can...the starting 2B out. The starting CF out.

If Gonzalez was around, a reliever or 2 healthy, and maybe Lawrie playing, the team's record probably wins a few more games. They were able to go 23-10 at one point.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
L

Leave out Duke was traded, Petricka and Putnam not there, Gonzalez hurt, 40% of the rotation a gas can...the starting 2B out. The starting CF out.

Yea, to me it really comes down to Shields and bullpen for the August failures. Both these areas should be addressed this offseason. Relegate Shields to the bullpen if he hasn't recovered any velocity next spring and start Fulmer. For extra insurance, might not hurt to sign a vet on a 1 or 2 year deal for less than $10 AAV. I'd be fine with someone like Fister or Volquez. Both would be upgrades to Shields while eating up innings and not costing a draft pick. Bullpen is a little trickier but I don't think it needs a complete overhaul. Just tinkering add another arm or two via FA/trade, promote Burdi, healthy returns of Putnam and Petricka (hopefully), and a better year from Robertson. Bullpens are fickle and it should be dramatically improved from what we just witnessed in August.

There's a mutual $10 million agreement or $3 million buyout on Volquez.

Will be an interesting decision. They theoretically have Vargas coming back.

Duffy (last arb. season), Kennedy, Ventura...they don't want to start Young anymore, so back end of Gee, Vargas and Strahm plus $17 million freed up from Medlen/Volquez means they add another pitcher or 2-3 relievers.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)

Duffy (last arb. season), Kennedy, Ventura...they don't want to start Young anymore, so back end of Gee, Vargas and Strahm plus $17 million freed up from Medlen/Volquez means they add another pitcher or 2-3 relievers.

Did you mean to put this post in a Jose Abreu thread?

I'm assuming they buyout Volquez considering his performance this season. I'd take a flier at 2 years/$10MM

Your Weekly Royals Update courtesy of Christopher Caulfield.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 01:52 PM)
With a big September it's absolutely possible. So what changed? That's the question. The lineup looks so much better with a Jose Abreu posting a 900+ OPS, especially if the holes at C, CF, and DH are addressed this offseason.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/...%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

That's a decent road trip

QUOTE (harkness @ Sep 4, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
The guy is on a crazy hot streak no doubt...

I hope next year he doesn't take 4 months to get it going.

Just part of the ebb and flow of a long season. I think it helped having his son around to see him play. Also not saying missing his son was the reason for not being as productive as usual earlier but it sure doesn't help. I'd like to see how he's hit since Morneau came aboard. I know it will be pretty good but also might not mean anything. But it does point out the obvious that a LH power bat should still be 1st on the Sox shopping ( as it's been and repeatedly failed upon) list this off season for the going for it again crowd.

I know Abreu would probably hate playing DH but the Sox need to seriously consider it to have more options for that LH bat.Not sure why we haven't seen Morneau play the field at all. Running and sliding seems to be just as much a threat to injury as playing the field.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Sep 4, 2016 -> 10:19 PM)
Am I crazy, or has he been killing it since he saw his son in Miami? Maybe there's no correlation, but he was ice cold before and has been raking ever since.

There was a post on Twitter i saw saying that hes pretty much been on a tear since he was able to see his son. Pretty damn good stats for the last month.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 4, 2016 -> 10:49 PM)
This is incredible. If he ends up hitting .300 with 30HRs & 100 RBI...i'm just gonna smack myself really hard. I just see no other options.

He doesn't even have to hit 30 HR to out perform his 2015 season offensively, which was still pretty damn good.

His walk rate is up, his K-rate is down, his average is up. He could surpass his 2B and RBI total pretty easily. It's hard to figure out why his offensive WAR is SOOO much incredibly worse than 2015s. Must be deeper statistics that I haven't delved in to yet that are making the difference.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Sep 4, 2016 -> 10:19 PM)
Am I crazy, or has he been killing it since he saw his son in Miami? Maybe there's no correlation, but he was ice cold before and has been raking ever since.

No you're not crazy as this has been pointed out basically every day since he saw his son. Pretty crazy turn around.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 01:12 AM)
this will sound bad but if abreu was playing poorly because he wasn't able to see his son, does that make him a mental midget?

I don't have a kid but I can imagine that would be very demoralizing. Maybe Abreu sees his son as something more important than playing a game. Hell I haven't seen my dog in a year and whenever I think about him I get pretty down. I can't imagine what not seeing a son for 3 (?) years would be like.

Mental midget? not really. Human? yes.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Sep 4, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
So since August 9 abreu is hitting .361, 400 obp and .588 slg. August 8th was an off day which abreu went to see his son in Miami.

Last 30 it's.369 , .408 , .608 witn a 1.066 OPS . I don't know how long he knew his son was coming but that pre dates your August 8th date by a few days. Article on whitesox.com http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/199...ffensive-surge/

"Jose Abreu credits his return to the high level of offensive production he showed during his first two seasons with the White Sox to tireless work and help from three people in particular: hitting coach Todd Steverson and assistant hitting coach Greg Sparks -- who helped him with his approach and mechanics, and his son, Dariel, who he turned to for inspiration and family comfort.

But Abreu made it very clear on Saturday that his mid-season struggles had nothing to do with his five-year-old son's physical absence.

"I didn't hit because I didn't hit," said Abreu through interpreter Billy Russo. "His presence was huge for me from my offensive standpoint. But I don't want the people to think because I wasn't with him I wasn't performing well.

"It's not his fault. It wasn't something that I couldn't perform my best. It's baseball. Having him here was important for me. It was a little extra motivation for me."

"I've been using more of my hands and synchronized the movement of my hands with my eyes, chasing the ball. I have to give thanks to the hitting coach and Sparks because they were the ones who recognized my failures and found ways to fix it, and I think the results have been there."

QUOTE (harkness @ Sep 4, 2016 -> 06:17 PM)
The guy is on a crazy hot streak no doubt...

I hope next year he doesn't take 4 months to get it going.

I maintain that he was only really cold in April and May. He had a homer drought in July but still hit a lot of doubles and had a good BA and he had a pretty good June all around