Anthony Ranaudo starting vs. Cubs on Wednesday

ScootsMcGoots

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
Ranaudo will have to clear waivers to stay with the Sox. The timing of this lends credence to the idea that the Sox will move a SP. Notice how when they were in it, they called up Turner, who was less deserving. Once they fell apart, Ranaudo got his shot.

Sounds logical.

Ranaudo will have to clear waivers to stay with the Sox. The timing of this lends credence to the idea that the Sox will move a SP. Notice how when they were in it, they called up Turner, who was less deserving. Once they fell apart, Ranaudo got his shot.

Do you know something is on the horizon by chance?

Why would Ranaudo have to clear waivers? He was already optioned this year before.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
I am not 100% sure, but I don't think this is the case.

Remember the Sox acquired him via trade from the Rangers, he wasn't released. If he were out of options the Rangers wouldn't have been able to send him down earlier this year nor would the Sox when they traded for him.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:03 AM)
Remember the Sox acquired him via trade from the Rangers, he wasn't released. If he were out of options the Rangers wouldn't have been able to send him down earlier this year nor would the Sox when they traded for him.

I think he was on waivers though when we traded for him. I think it's similar when players are claimed on waivers and able to go to the minors with the new team.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
I think he was on waivers though when we traded for him. I think it's similar when players are claimed on waivers and able to go to the minors with the new team.

If he was out of options and on waivers the Sox wouldn't have had to give anything up for him. He would have just been claimed and awarded to the team highest up on the list.

MLBTR did not have him on the list of players out of options this spring.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/03/out-...tions-2016.html

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
Ranaudo can be sent down and recalled at will this year, he was optioned in '14, '15 and '16 so this is his final option year.

It's Turner who would have to be released or waived or whatever if they decide to take him off the 25. That's why I was wondering why the heck they didn't just bring up Ranaudo in the 1st place over Turner.

Still kinda of surprised the Sox didnt give Fulmer a chance to spot start and haven't really used him out of the pen at all. Hope Ranaudo can keep it going, but not getting my hopes up.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 07:30 AM)
Still kinda of surprised the Sox didnt give Fulmer a chance to spot start and haven't really used him out of the pen at all. Hope Ranaudo can keep it going, but not getting my hopes up.

They need to control his number of innings. He would be in the bullpen in the minors if not in the mlb.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
If he isn't sharp, I'm guess Fulmer will take the mound tonight.

Win-Win. Either Ranaudo looks good and make shields expendable at the right time or Fulmer comes in and gets some valuable game time.

I was totally on board and gung-ho on the Raunado bandwagon going into tonight (relatively speaking for a midseason pickup in AAA). I thought his main problem was walks and that if he had figured it out in AAA that he could actually be a similar piece to Erik Johnson - meaning, all goes well maybe a #5 candidate next year.

But the HR line scares me. Take it FWIW that Charlotte's stadium is tiny, but still, that is not very good. Means although not walking people he probably still is missing his spot. Something you can maybe pitch around a bit at AAA, but not in the majors. This could be bad, especially against the Cubs.

Give me 6 innings of 4 run ball. A couple mistakes for HR's and I am fine tonight.

After that, I'd say bounce Turner, keep Raunado and put him in the long relief role. (once Rodon comes back)