James shields drawing some buzz

Whisox05

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
Phil Rogers ‏@philgrogers 12s13 seconds ago

@whitesox decision to deal Shields hinges on if he'll exercise opt-out after season. Dealt good piece (SS Fernando Tatis Jr.) to get him.

This scares me in that we are "going for it" in 2017...with the same broken offense and good starting rotation.

@whitesox decision to deal Shields hinges on if he'll exercise opt-out after season. Dealt good piece (SS Fernando Tatis Jr.) to get him.

First off why would he opt out? Secondly, Hahn did say they would be compensated if he did. Since there is no QO, I assume he meant SD would give them something.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
This scares me in that we are "going for it" in 2017...with the same broken offense and good starting rotation.

It seems like this was the plan all along. Remember that this is year two of the three year plan. Next year is when it is all going to come together for the Sox!

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:37 PM)
I see the chances of Shields opting out as about 5%. The dude isn't going to get a deal at $22M AAV over the next two. He'd be an idiot to opt out.

Here is the question. Could he get 4/60? Could he get 3/50? That ups his promised money, and at his age that could be big. It isn't as simple as being over 22AAV.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
Here is the question. Could he get 4/60? Could he get 3/50? That ups his promised money, and at his age that could be big. It isn't as simple as being over 22AAV.

He will be 35 years old come December.. Barring injury, he will complete this season with 10 straight years of 30+ Starts and 200+ innings

I think its very possible he could get a 3 yr deal based on track record alone..

What does this mean exactly? They want him to or don't want him to?

There's a 99.9% chance he won't exercise (the .1% is in case he pulls a Laroche and just quits).

And, yes, they did deal a good piece for a declining pitcher, but that's a sunk cost.

My question is will JR kick back the $20 mill he received from San Diego; because no one wants Shields at full salary.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
What does this mean exactly? They want him to or don't want him to?

There's a 99.9% chance he won't exercise (the .1% is in case he pulls a Laroche and just quits).

And, yes, they did deal a good piece for a declining pitcher, but that's a sunk cost.

My question is will JR kick back the $20 mill he received from San Diego; because no one wants Shields at full salary.

We all know Shields will not opt out of his contract. Unless he hates ridiculous amounts of money. Money he will not see in the open market. Another bone headed acquisition by the Hahn/KW death machine. What really grinds my gears is that the White Sox were in an incredible tail spin when they acquired him AND Shields himself was going through the worst rough patch of his career. Golly gee, that's exactly what a team in disarray needs! Hahn had an opportunity to redeem himself by selling high before the trade deadline but he failed... again. His excuse "He is under contract control for more than one season" and apparently teams shy away from that midseason, which is new to me?!? In most cases, isn't that more attractive for buyers at trade deadlines?

We all know this team needs to hit the reset button. These half measures and retooling attempts have been crap. Can JR just man up and do whats best for this organization and let the Hahn/KW death machine go? Sadly, I doubt it. Status quo reigns supreme on the Southside :(

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
He will be 35 years old come December.. Barring injury, he will complete this season with 10 straight years of 30+ Starts and 200+ innings

I think its very possible he could get a 3 yr deal based on track record alone..

Never under estimate an owner to overpay for mediocre and below for pitching. The Sale contract is one of the best in sports.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 05:34 PM)
We all know Shields will not opt out of his contract. Unless he hates ridiculous amounts of money. Money he will not see in the open market. Another bone headed acquisition by the Hahn/KW death machine. What really grinds my gears is that the White Sox were in an incredible tail spin when they acquired him AND Shields himself was going through the worst rough patch of his career. Golly gee, that's exactly what a team in disarray needs! Hahn had an opportunity to redeem himself by selling high before the trade deadline but he failed... again. His excuse "He is under contract control for more than one season" and apparently teams shy away from that midseason, which is new to me?!? In most cases, isn't that more attractive for buyers at trade deadlines?

We all know this team needs to hit the reset button. These half measures and retooling attempts have been crap. Can JR just man up and do whats best for this organization and let the Hahn/KW death machine go? Sadly, I doubt it. Status quo reigns supreme on the Southside :(

JR is part of that.